Thread: We Are Approved

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Originally posted by Pauldo@Sep 17 2005, 11:05 AM
    The bold words are the ones we are going on. My wife isn't a former Filipino. She is still a Filipino, and has lost nothing.

I think the act you quote deals with Filipinos who took foreign citizenship before the above act came into power, so they did lose the Filipino citizenship, but can now have it back.

Filipinos who took foreign citizenship before the Act took effect (Sept 2003) can reclaim their Filipino citizenship and retain theirs if they took other citizenship after Sept. 2003 and has to apply for Petition for Dual Citizenship and Issuance of Identification Certificate (IC) pursuant to RA 9225.
    I am on the same situation as your wife Paul and might keep my passport as it hasn't expired yet but will we be considered DUAL CITIZEN if we didn't apply for a petition to be Dual and have the Identification Certificate?

Funnily enough, we were at the PI embassy in London the other week and spoke with the consul there. As always, it's impossible to get a straight answer and I'm still not quite sure of the process, and to be honest, i don't think she was either, but perish the thought she would "lose face" by being honest about it.

From what i could gather, even though british citizenship has been obtained, if you have a PI passport and it's due to expire and you want to renew it, then you can renew it - as they haven't a clue whether you've obtained british citizenship or not (similar to what happened to Pauldo, I think...?) However, if you don't bother to renew the PI passport and then try to obtain one later on (having let the old one expire) then you MAY need the oath nonsense. Or you may not. Like I said, I don't think she knew herself, and was obviously uncomfortable at the loss of face she was already experiencing at our suggestion we'll probably just let the PI citizenship slide because, let's face it, who would want it when you have a british passport?

So, I think, if you really do want to retain dual citizenship, the easiest way to do it is to renew your PI passport upon expiry of the old one, and ignore their oath taking suggestions. Don't forget, it's actually harder to open a bank account in the high street than it is to get a philippine passport so, like Pauldo, providing you're simply renewing, you shouldn't have too much trouble, british citizenship or not.

Respected Member
    Originally posted by moi@Sep 17 2005, 12:37 PM
    Filipinos who took foreign citizenship before the Act took effect (Sept 2003) can reclaim their Filipino citizenship and retain theirs if they took other citizenship after Sept. 2003 and has to apply for Petition for Dual Citizenship and Issuance of Identification Certificate (IC) pursuant to RA 9225.

Moi, where did you quote that from? I can see nothing like it in any of the RA9225 info I've found.

From what every website I've seen tells me, there is nothing that says you have to reaffirm your Filipino citizenship, by any way or means, if you have never lost it.

As mentioned in the last post, nobody seems to know the facts, even Philippine embassy officials, and they have no intentions of ever uttering the cursed and heinous, face losing three words: "I don't know" :unsure: :blink: :o

Smile

Originally posted by Pauldo@Sep 18 2005, 11:07 AM
    Moi, where did you quote that from? I can see nothing like it in any of the RA9225 info I've found.

From what every website I've seen tells me, there is nothing that says you have to reaffirm your Filipino citizenship, by any way or means, if you have never lost it.

As mentioned in the last post, nobody seems to know the facts, even Philippine embassy officials, and they have no intentions of ever uttering the cursed and heinous, face losing three words: "I don't know" :unsure: :blink: :o
    The Philippine Embassy Canberra Australia website.Their website is more useful i think than the London one.I've checked the Swtzerland Phils. Embassy site as well.

I agree with you Paul,why take an OATH if you have never lost it? But according to the Act, in order to retain it, you should take an Oath of Allegiance. <_<

Originally posted by moi@Sep 19 2005, 02:46 PM
    The Philippine Embassy Canberra Australia website.Their website is more useful i think than the London one.I&#39;ve checked the Swtzerland Phils. Embassy site as well.

I agree with you Paul,why take an OATH if you have never lost it? But according to the Act, in order to retain it, you should take an Oath of Allegiance. <_<
    B*gg*r that. They&#39;ll never know. If you want to keep a PI passport, then just keep renewing it, and if you don&#39;t, because as a travel document it&#39;s about as effective and useful as a kidney infection, then don&#39;t bother renewing.

Respected Member
    Originally posted by moi@Sep 19 2005, 03:46 PM
    The Philippine Embassy Canberra Australia website.Their website is more useful i think than the London one.I&#39;ve checked the Swtzerland Phils. Embassy site as well.

Moi,
    I&#39;m seeing this on the Canberra website:
    Those who lost their Philippines citizenship before 17th September 2003 may re-acquire it by taking the oath of allegiance. Those who lost if after 17th September 2003 will also need to take the oath of allegiance to enable them to retain their Philippines citizenship

Is this what you&#39;re looking at?
    http://www.philembassy.au.com/download/Q&A...25-C-210105.pdf

The words "those who LOST it after 17th September 2003" is where it comes into play for both yourself and my wife. You never actually LOST it.

I don&#39;t think you have anything to worry about Moi.

Cheers, Paul

Originally posted by Pauldo@Sep 20 2005, 07:25 AM
    Moi,
    I&#39;m seeing this on the Canberra website:
    Those who lost their Philippines citizenship before 17th September 2003 may re-acquire it by taking the oath of allegiance. Those who lost if after 17th September 2003 will also need to take the oath of allegiance to enable them to retain their Philippines citizenship

Is this what you&#39;re looking at?
    http://www.philembassy.au.com/download/Q&A...25-C-210105.pdf

The words "those who LOST it after 17th September 2003" is where it comes into play for both yourself and my wife. You never actually LOST it.

I don&#39;t think you have anything to worry about Moi.

Cheers, Paul

well that just about takes care of this one..hehehehe,

Hi Guys, can anyone remember this thread from last June hehehehe, remember when my MP wrote to me about the reason that was holding up Gina&#39;s visa....how about this for a good LOL.

15th February 2006

Hon Simon Burns
    MP Chelmsford
    House of Commons
    London SW1

Dear Mr xxxxxx

I am writing to say that I have made further enquiries to the Home Office Minister in connection with your wife&#39;s entry to the United Kingdom.

The Minister has since completed his enquiries, and has been informed by UK Visas, that your wife has been granted a visa on the 2nd September of 2005, I will now leave it for you to follow up the matter with the British Embassy in Manila.

Please accept my apologies that is has taken so long in replying to you, I would expect you would want to make arrangements for your wife to come to the United Kingdom, if you have not been informed of the decision to grant a visa for your wife.

If I can be of any futher assitance, please do not hesitate to contact my secretary at the constituency office in Chelmsford.

Yours sincerly,

Simon Burns.

Petes commentary

Derrrtrrrrrrr she has been here 5 months Mr Burns...but thanks for the prompt follow up.

Banned
    Never mind its all over now..your story just reminds us how useless our MPs can be sometimes. I once wrote to ours about 3 years ago about a charity I was working for, and although we got an acknowledgement, that was it, no follow up, nothing.

Glad to say the MP lost his "safe" seat at the last election :lol:

Thread Information