Thread: container services from uk to philippines

container services from uk to philippines

hi im new here but already i have learned a few things of future use long may it continue i wish i found this site three yrs ago when i first met my girl in philippines but i purely found this site by accident browsing the net for container services from uk to philippines
    its been tough at times the long distance and the lack of information regarding serious stuff like laws visas to everyday stuff regarding travel or things that may be usefull about the philippines
    my question today before i bore everyone who may take the time to read this has anyone reliably used a container service to ship household goods etc to there
    i think ill need to hire a 40ft container i wish to take at least one car prob a pick up truck several large household goods tools etc
    im hoping to be able to fill it to the brim then sell tthe surplas stuff there {a permit is needed for the equivalant of a garage sale very small fee} to help pay the container costs
    many things are cheap there as many will know but often complete junk
    but even the junk is expensive by uk prices so i want to work out the cost effectiveness of a container
    mainly a car well pick up truck as cars are expensive even stuff you buy here for few hundred quid is few thousand there and generally had it
    you have all seen it for yourselves
    ive just spent three weeks at our new house there fixing all the water pipes electrics and waste pipes windows etc you may think this man has bought a run down place but by there standards its really ok
    nothing seems to be fitted or repaired how i like it and simple things like decent power tools etc dont seem to exist
    i borrowed various bits from the local hardware store grinder file bought other basic chinese made tools all rubbish a neighbours drill again rubbish so i would really like to send over my own stuff for the future as i plan to spend more and more time there later on in life
    any advice welcome mark

hi mark you can forget about sending the car or pick up truck,,,it would cost far to much money to bring it into the philippines ,,,ie,,tax and re registering it,,,as the will charge you what they think the car or truck was valued when new ,,i was going to send my superbike back to the philippines but after a few people we met in mamila in the transport agencies told me it was not worth it as i would be heavily tax on it,,,as for the rest of the items you have mention karen and i just sent back 110volt sds drills and 9inch and 4inch grinders plus 1010 watt 230volt steel drill also light fittings and taps and dies ,,but we sent these back by box,,,,also go to ace hardware and you will find bosch drills grinders and a lot of millwakee power tools ,,,hope this helps you ,,,john and karen
    live and let live

I have used tagalogbalikbayan to send over boxes the do containers as well I have always found the very helpfull and every i sent with then arrived safely and within 5 weeks. they cover the oxford area as well
    http://www.tagalogbalikbayan.com/
    As life is to live so love is to give

hi thanks for your prompt reply
    usefull how do you know the tax a registering is high by experience ?
    id love to take my bike i have a triumph rocket three but thats not very practical tools would all be 220/40 volts as ive no desire to use 11o infact i isolated the 11ov supply into the house and made everything inside 220 now it took some working out
    i did see fake makita stuff then eventually the real stuff and few dewalt bits too but at hell of a price as over yrs of dealings here in uk i could start a shop with the clobber ive got so as i would get little here for it if feasable i would love to send it
    how can they value you at its new price surely they use a similar type of system here referance its value obv its uk docs would show its age
    its not that i dont believe you it would not suprise me one bit little does the philippines never ceases to amaze me
    i was told that if i rented a house on the local ex usa base {subic bay freeport as a resident there the allowance is two vehicles can be imported obv thats a one off thing but i have yet to find out if reality or not
    but maybe thats why the cars there hold a big value im amazed they do anyone else have any knowledge of this???
    ive not seen ace hardware stores is it a common chain there ive only used the local places which was interesting if not frustrating at times
    everything was such low quality as im an oldie the best bit is they seem to have adopted the american af measurement and inches
    lastly sending a box did the items attract any charges eg import duties etc ???

hi alan p
    thanks for the prompt reply i have heard of these boxes and may well have to consider this but obv id like to make one large shipment via container but if keeperfit is right the a truck may not be practical shame as i have a great little izusu truck old but tidy i wanted to ship over and obv would be a great asset there im reluctant to commit to buy anything new there as i run a garage here in the uk id like a simple vehicle can i can get bits for and fix myself
    anyhow im waffling on any further advice would be great thanks regards mark

Hi Mark
    I would give them a call they will be able to advise you. speak to Evelyn or Gary her husband
    As life is to live so love is to give

Quote Originally Posted by madmitch537 View Post
    hi thanks for your prompt reply
    usefull how do you know the tax a registering is high by experience ?
    id love to take my bike i have a triumph rocket three but thats not very practical tools would all be 220/40 volts as ive no desire to use 11o infact i isolated the 11ov supply into the house and made everything inside 220 now it took some working out
    i did see fake makita stuff then eventually the real stuff and few dewalt bits too but at hell of a price as over yrs of dealings here in uk i could start a shop with the clobber ive got so as i would get little here for it if feasable i would love to send it
    how can they value you at its new price surely they use a similar type of system here referance its value obv its uk docs would show its age
    its not that i dont believe you it would not suprise me one bit little does the philippines never ceases to amaze me
    i was told that if i rented a house on the local ex usa base {subic bay freeport as a resident there the allowance is two vehicles can be imported obv thats a one off thing but i have yet to find out if reality or not
    but maybe thats why the cars there hold a big value im amazed they do anyone else have any knowledge of this???
    ive not seen ace hardware stores is it a common chain there ive only used the local places which was interesting if not frustrating at times
    everything was such low quality as im an oldie the best bit is they seem to have adopted the american af measurement and inches
    lastly sending a box did the items attract any charges eg import duties etc ???
    hi mark yes i got my brother inlaw to inquire about me sending my yamaha thundercat back to the philippines and he inquired with a few people (lets just say high in the transport office) who said it would cost me to much,,plus the red tape and papers to register the bike there with new plates,,,,,type into google about bringing a car or bike to the philippines ,,the answers are bad ,,,i like you mark would love to have my bike there even for holidays,,,plus as my brother inlaw said although my bike would be worth 1800 pounds here in the uk it would be worth about 4000 pounds back in the philippines,,,,,,,,as for the balikbayan boxes we have sent computers tools,,deep fat fryers just about everything you can think of in them with no problems at all and we have been sending boxes back from jan 2006,,,,,,mark you will find the ace hardware in the Shoe mart shopping centers also the sell car parts as well,,,i bought a bosch 9 inch angle grinder there 220 volt think it cost 8'000 peso thats about 85 pounds brother inlaw is still using it,,,yes mark ace hardware is something like B&Q here but you will only get it in the shopping centers,,,,,we have our own house in antipolo city and there is loads of small hardware shops but we only use them for tiles wood and angle iron and bathroom fittings anything else we go to,ace hardware ,,,,,,,,,,,mark type ace hardware philippines into goole and you will see their outlets hope this helps you ,,,,,john and karen
    live and let live

hi again mark,,,brother inlaw said if you are going to buy a van or car there buy a toyota as parts just come of the shelf,,,ie they are easy to get and pay for,,,,we sold our lacer 1994 for 1000 pounds and bought a new mitsubushi adventure diesil feb 2011 cost 9,000 i'll upload a picture of it as soon as i can work out how to do it ,,,,regards john and karen
    live and let live

ok thanks for the advice ill look up the stuff you suggested ill probably end up buying something there i guess with reluctance it will be something older i think i really dont want a new truck which will be hdi as ill have no diagnostics when it needs fixing i want something basic that i can fix up my self yes toyota will be fine
    ive never seen any one locally using a mig welder only arc and gas {oxy/acet} does argoshield gas exist there {mix of argon/co2 used with mig welders
    i did see trucks carry oxygen and acetlyne bottles about
    these boxes is there a weight limit to them ?
    thanks for the friendly advice regards mark

hi mark ,,,some companies have weight limits some don't the filipino who we send our boxes back with does not have a weight limit as long as he can get it lifted into the van he is happy as soon as he fills his van he unloads all boxes into a container it takes about 6 weeks to arrive in philippines from belfast,,,we pay 120 pounds for four boxes,,,i'll find out if our filipino courier has agents in your area i know for a fact he has agents in manchester,,,,i'll phone ogie later and post you details later,,,,,,,,this guy is 100% reliable,,,regards john and karen
    live and let live

Quote Originally Posted by keeperlit View Post
    hi mark ,,,some companies have weight limits some don't the filipino who we send our boxes back with does not have a weight limit as long as he can get it lifted into the van he is happy as soon as he fills his van he unloads all boxes into a container it takes about 6 weeks to arrive in philippines from belfast,,,we pay 120 pounds for four boxes,,,i'll find out if our filipino courier has agents in your area i know for a fact he has agents in manchester,,,,i'll phone ogie later and post you details later,,,,,,,,this guy is 100% reliable,,,regards john and karen
    hey keeperfit
    thats a good price esp for four boxes id like the contact for sure sounds a great solution to some bits id arrange from my work as i run a garage workshop so lifting into a van would be easy to do
    how big are the boxes again plse ive amassed so many old power tools over the yrs that i could make great use of and sell off there to help cover the cost
    as for the time to get there then its not an issue
    one container service company has called me several times and is going to get me a price so even if for this info up to date from every one it was well worth spending the time to join
    take care mark

Last July 2010 a friend of mine had a 20ft container to Manila.
    The cost was £4000 and included £500 insurance.
    By the way he did all the packing himself. Although this only saved £350 he said at least he had peace of mind that his treasured items were well packed.

Just providing this info as a helpful yardstick. Some shippers may be a little less, some may be a little more.
    Just be sure you know that what you're shipping is worth the cost and effort.
    Do some research. Most electrical items will be OK, just be aware that UK is the 50Hz and Pinas is 60Hz which can cause problems, especially electronic timers etc.

hi thanks therpe
    yes im aware the diff and the stuff i will send is all ok mainly power tools etc but sure i need to know if viable as i really wanted to send a car well a truck to use there but its been suggested its costly and difficult to get a vehicle registered there
    do you know of the company name
    regards mark

Mitch.. second hand pickups etc may be more expensive here but look at it this way..They hold their value so in 2 or 3 years if you sell it you will get most of your money back.. I would stick with Toyota,Mitsubishi or Isuzu as parts are easy to find as either brand new or orininal surplus parts..
    When my Bosch hammer drill passed away here I bought a new Makita variant (Maktec) that they sell here really cheap for around 2.5 K from memory..Maktec tools are actually made by Makita but sold here at a fraction of the cost of Makita tools... Heres their website http://www.maktec.co.za/
    Maktec: SIMPLE SOLID POWER.
    As Makita, we have been making sense of the power tool market for years, now we’re doing it again.
    When the Makita research and development team was asked to create a range of power-tools good enough to carry the Makita name, and could compete in the top end of the DIY market, the result was that a range that is considerably cheaper and with a minimum loss of the tool’s quality in the process, their answer was Maktec.
    The production cost was reduced substantially without any productive performance loss in the new tool.
    The best advice I can give you is to stay away from anything Chinese ..Just about everything sold to the Philippines by the Chinese is defective,substandard and often dangerous!
    Cheers,
    Fred.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by madmitch537 View Post
    ............ i need to know if viable as i really wanted to send a car well a truck to use there but its been suggested its costly and difficult to get a vehicle registered there ........
    Mark,
    Regarding the cars, don't even think about it!!
    Seriously.
    You will not be allowed to import any RH drive car.Period
    Maybe some people will tell you there are 'ways' BUT eventually there are not.
    Even if the cars were LH drive, you would be taxed up to the hilt. Eventually it would cost you at least twice the value of the car.

The importation of privately owned vehicles (POV's) to the Philippines is very restrictive. The process is long, requires a great deal of paperwork, and a special import permit is required. This permit is available only in the Philippines, and can not be issued by an embassy or consulate office
    • CUSTOMER MUST BE PRESENT FOR CUSTOMS CLEARANCE
    • Only returning Filipino residents and foreign embassy diplomats are allowed to import
    motor vehicles "Duty Free"
    • All motor vehicles must have an Import Authority Permit issued by the Philippine Bureau of Import Service before the vehicle is shipped.
    • Owner must have lived abroad for at least one year and car must have been registered in his/her name at least six months if the car is more than three years old, vehicles more than three years old should be registered under shippers name at least one year prior to application of the Import Permit
    • Failure to comply with above will result in PENALTIES AND CONFISCATION
    of vehicle
    • Auto must arrive within 60 days of customer's arrival
    • Destination Agent must be contacted prior to shipping any vehicles
    • All vehicles subject to taxes and duties
    • Gasoline-fueled cars limited to 2,800 cc not over 1,500 kgs
    • Right -hand driven vehicles not permitted
    • Only one vehicle allowed per family
    • Autos five years old or older not permitted
    • Banned/unauthorized motor vehicles subject to seizure; owner subject to penalties
    • Documents required:
    o Original Registration and proof of ownership
    o Import Permit from Department of Trade or Bureau of Import
    Cars over 5 years old CANNOT be imported

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Mark,
    Regarding the cars, don't even think about it!!
    Seriously.
    You will not be allowed to import any RH drive car.Period
    Maybe some people will tell you there are 'ways' BUT eventually there are not.
    Even if the cars were LH drive, you would be taxed up to the hilt. Eventually it would cost you at least twice the value of the car.

The importation of privately owned vehicles (POV's) to the Philippines is very restrictive. The process is long, requires a great deal of paperwork, and a special import permit is required. This permit is available only in the Philippines, and can not be issued by an embassy or consulate office
    • CUSTOMER MUST BE PRESENT FOR CUSTOMS CLEARANCE
    • Only returning Filipino residents and foreign embassy diplomats are allowed to import
    motor vehicles "Duty Free"
    • All motor vehicles must have an Import Authority Permit issued by the Philippine Bureau of Import Service before the vehicle is shipped.
    • Owner must have lived abroad for at least one year and car must have been registered in his/her name at least six months if the car is more than three years old, vehicles more than three years old should be registered under shippers name at least one year prior to application of the Import Permit
    • Failure to comply with above will result in PENALTIES AND CONFISCATION
    of vehicle
    • Auto must arrive within 60 days of customer's arrival
    • Destination Agent must be contacted prior to shipping any vehicles
    • All vehicles subject to taxes and duties
    • Gasoline-fueled cars limited to 2,800 cc not over 1,500 kgs
    • Right -hand driven vehicles not permitted
    • Only one vehicle allowed per family
    • Autos five years old or older not permitted
    • Banned/unauthorized motor vehicles subject to seizure; owner subject to penalties
    • Documents required:
    o Original Registration and proof of ownership
    o Import Permit from Department of Trade or Bureau of Import
    Cars over 5 years old CANNOT be imported
    wow
    hi and thanks i read your reply with interest and you have given so much details thankyou very very much
    well thats a no go then looks like i will be haggling there as best as i can im not interested in anything new so an old banger that i can do up
    as i restore classic cars here it wont be a problem as long as you say a popular model ie toyota mitzzy or isuzu
    so i think ill just stick to the boxes which seem good value
    i was thinking in yr or so to ship a left hand drive classic car as i have a passion for these and it would give me a project
    but it looks like i may have to buy an old jap classic ive seen a few around there
    my biggest concern is if i spend longer periods there im going to get bored as i need to be fixing things to keep me occupied
    so a very big thankyou to all the replies and valuable advice given which all suggests vehicle imports are a non starter
    i did see the local makita brand and agreed slighty better than the chinese fake copies as you say they were junk i had first hand experience with these
    so once again a big thankyou to every one who took time to reply here
    regards mark

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Mitch.. second hand pickups etc may be more expensive here but look at it this way..They hold their value so in 2 or 3 years if you sell it you will get most of your money back.. I would stick with Toyota,Mitsubishi or Isuzu as parts are easy to find as either brand new or orininal surplus parts..
    When my Bosch hammer drill passed away here I bought a new Makita variant (Maktec) that they sell here really cheap for around 2.5 K from memory..Maktec tools are actually made by Makita but sold here at a fraction of the cost of Makita tools... Heres their website http://www.maktec.co.za/
    The best advice I can give you is to stay away from anything Chinese ..Just about everything sold to the Philippines by the Chinese is defective,substandard and often dangerous!
    Cheers,
    Fred.
    totally agreed the cheap chinese stuff is pure junk ive had experience with these already
    thanks for the reply
    regards mark

Quote Originally Posted by alanp View Post
    I have used tagalogbalikbayan to send over boxes the do containers as well I have always found the very helpfull and every i sent with then arrived safely and within 5 weeks. they cover the oxford area as well
    http://www.tagalogbalikbayan.com/
    hi i called them today very helpfull so thankyou a great problem solved
    once again thanks mark

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Last July 2010 a friend of mine had a 20ft container to Manila.
    The cost was £4000 and included £500 insurance.
    By the way he did all the packing himself. Although this only saved £350 he said at least he had peace of mind that his treasured items were well packed.

Just providing this info as a helpful yardstick. Some shippers may be a little less, some may be a little more.
    Just be sure you know that what you're shipping is worth the cost and effort.
    Do some research. Most electrical items will be OK, just be aware that UK is the 50Hz and Pinas is 60Hz which can cause problems, especially electronic timers etc.
    hi therpe
    i never considered the hz frequency so good you raised this thanks
    alot of uk tools that are branded have a rating of 50-60hz so obv ok
    so do evry day power tools work ok even the ones generally newer ones showing a rating of 230 v 50hz still work ok there
    advice welcome
    regards mark

Thread Information