Thread: Gain Weight

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    Vitamins are not the answer ! A balanced diet and regular exercise is the way to achieve desirable weight,

Quote Originally Posted by Englishman2010 View Post
    Most of the Filipino's I chat to or know seem to be obsessed with Vitamins I've never taken a vitamin tablet in my life and I'm in the best shape i've been in my adult life, inspite of smoking

I like Filipino food, but after a few weeks there, I really miss proper healthy food. I personally find most Filipino food too salty, too sweet, too fatty and lacking a substantial quantity of green/fibrous veg. For a tourist who isn't going to cook when they are on holiday, the only alternative is fast junk food, and that's probably worse.
    agree with you. That's what my husband said too. He only eat a bit of lechon & more of fruits. He just tasted some of our fatty foods lols. When I arrived in England, I was shocked that veges & fruits are inexpensive & packed so very neatly. Well, health & safety. In the Phils, maybe because mostly american advertisement is always everywhere & the the government doesn't advertise a lot the importance of good nutrition although we have it from school but it's just that burger is so powerful. In short, it's up to the parents to train the kids about the benifits of veges. We are crazy over vitamins that's true. Since we are kids, doctors always prescribed vit c & iron although the other alternative is really from the veges, fruits, etc....Me? I'm into veges & it opened my eyes when I arrive here. I totally understand my english husand now. But, I am petite but high in cholesterol. It's in my genes. I got it from my dad. I am glad that in England u can buy milk, butter, etc that is low in fats....In the Phils, it's hard to find one. If u can find one (important), it's bl@@dy expensive.

If u can find one (important)...........I mean imported. Sorry for the typographic error

All the op wanted to know was how to gain a bit of weight

These threads take on a life of their own, even Graham hasn`t got a picture for it

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete/London View Post
    Correct I'm unable to give any specific advice, not having been given basic information
    However, subsequent posts have raised a few points :-
    Vitamin D - needed for calcium absorption - is obtained through the diet, and also produced in the skin with sun exposure. Melanin pigment does reduce the skin's ability to make this vitamin. Lack of it can lead to rickets or - especially in older women - fractures. It's also possible to overdose on this vitamin ( and others ).
    Lack of vitamin C may occur if the diet is faulty, and scurvy may result. Too often a filipino child's diet is low in fruits and vegetables which contributes to under- nourishment. However, the numbers of under-nourished children is declining, and obese children increasing ( both in Philippines and UK ), because of consumption of convenience and junk foods high in salt, sugar, and fat, together with a sedentary lifestyle.
    Lack of B vitamins causes a variety of illnesses such as beriberi, but an excess is also harmful.
    Vitamin A deficiency can cause blindness ( xerophthalmia ) in the tropics.
    Folic acid deficiency can cause a type of anemia, and spina bifida ( in the foetus ) so supplements are given in pregnancy.

It's impossible to generalise, but in the absence of * illness, * pregnancy, or * poverty; * a "target" BMI of 18.5 - 25, * waist circumference < 90 - 94 cm ( men ) and < 80 cm ( women ) ( * no central obesity ), then a balanced diet with exercise is all that is needed . If anyone wishes to " body build " by whatever means, they should remember the risks of obesity in the future if they stop exercising. Vitamin supplements ( or steroids ) are not advised for this purpose

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete/London View Post

These threads take on a life of their own, even Graham hasn`t got a picture for it

Thread Information