Thread: When first time joining your spouse to the UK, what are your priorities to bring???

When first time joining your spouse to the UK, what are your priorities to bring???

When your settlement visa get approved and it's time for you to join your spouse in the UK... you're packing your things and only allowed 20kilos for check-in luggage and 7kilos for hand carry... supposing your luggage itself weighs 5kilos already so you only have 15kilos for check-in...

...assuming it's your first time to go to the UK and no excess baggage is allowed, what are your priorities to bring when you join your spouse???

do what i did dump your bag and get two canvas type holdhals i got army ones much stronger and put you items in any items that can be fragile put in you hand luggage my bags empty was 1 kilo each instead of 5 kilos for 1s with wheels

Well I did bring clothes and personal things with me that will be handy for me while I'm here now. Just for you to have clothes to use while your stay and I want to tell you to bring jacket, thick one if you have coz weather in Uk is much diff with what we have in PH. Tell you was really freezing while going down the plane to the airport. And I was allowed to take 23kgs for my luggage I was told by friends who already travelled here that I have to bring basic needs clothing to be exact coz after all that expenses that your husband paid for processing and flight its just fair for you to think that it will be hassle free for both you to at least save some money.
    My point is you need clothes for everyday living and its not cheaper here. And knowing that I am actually having problems getting size for me to fit in at the shopping mall for myself. (malalaki kasi ang size ng damit nila..)

Hope this one help....

Sbi din pala ng friend ko for me to at least just packed 21kgs and leave 2kgs for allowance cost its expensive to pay for extra luggage. you can have 7kgs hand luggage though. Ung mga hygiene things na kailangan mo you can just buy it here.
    and dont bring perfume not more than 100ml coz they confiscated my Victoria Perfume in Amsterdam Airport coz they said that its not allowd. Even it is not yet open. Well maybe you can just put in inside your check in luggage coz they dont really scan CL in NAIA airport they just weight it.

Trusted Member
    Clothes are harder to find in Filipina size in the UK, and much more expensive.

You won't really need a very warm coat here until September, and probably cheaper to buy in the UK anyway. Just put more layers of clothes on for your trip, which will also save weight in your bags, plus fill your pockets !

I would agree with packing clothes, shoes, handbags etc in a lightweight bag, cos they won't get damaged anyway.

Put a small padlock on each bag so it does not come open accidentally.

If you bring things like framed pictures, leave the frame at home to save weight. Cheap here.

Don't pack any kind of food, as it will be rejected at the airport here.

if you smoke your only allowed 200 or they take them all unless you declare them

My wife needs size 6 or size 8 clothing and size 3 or 4 footwear.
    Mostly these sizes are zero rated for VAT (Children/Young teens)

so far she's not had any major problems getting what she wants.

Trusted Member
    Yes, my ex used to buy stuff here for 11 year-olds, according to the label.

Sometimes you may change your priorities as life circumstances change, and as you change. Reviewing your situation and your priorities periodically can help you remain in touch with yourself

Thanks everyone

Thread Information