Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: finally in the UK now with kids..,

finally in the UK now with kids..,

Hi everyone,.i've just arrived here in the uk last July 9. Already done the NHS registration, and have applied for national number and applied my kids in school. I wanted to open a bank account, any suggestions? my husband phoned his bank and said that i need a credit record,..but I'm just new here and has no credit history.... can anyone here suggest what should I do?

Does anyone here lives in Reading?

If he's got a Lloyds bank account, they let him "sponsor" your application.
    No man is an island, but Barry is

you can open a bank account , as long as you got id with the address you are living at, like the council tax , emma did this straight away with the nat west

Welcome to the uk Ary!!
    In my case, i waited till my NI Card arrived and all our utility bills be put to both me and my husbands name before we applied for joint account and single account for me in the bank...its Barclays btw
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

thanks for the replies,...we'll try to consider your suggestions...thanks again., what else do i need to do, i mean are there still registration things etc...

Quote Originally Posted by aryM View Post
    Hi everyone,.i've just arrived here in the uk last July 9. Already done the NHS registration, and have applied for national number and applied my kids in school. I wanted to open a bank account, any suggestions? my husband phoned his bank and said that i need a credit record,..but I'm just new here and has no credit history.... can anyone here suggest what should I do?

Does anyone here lives in Reading?
    to the UK, Mary. You've arrived at a good time of year ... OUR "Summer" season ... and in more or less equal measures. As regards banking arrangements ... well ... ... you have already had suggestions from Bluebird, Steve Wooley and Sars for going on with ... according to what best suits your needs ... and I daresay there'll be more to follow.

As for members living near you ... ... there's Dedworth and his wife - they're in Berkshire (of which Reading is the 'county town') - and [I think] quite a few others besides.

welcome to the sunny cloudy UK
    Lloyds TSB is fine

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    to the UK, Mary. You've arrived at a good time of year ... OUR "Summer" season ... and in more or less equal measures. As regards banking arrangements ... well ... ... you have already had suggestions from Bluebird, Steve Wooley and Sars for going on with ... according to what best suits your needs ... and I daresay there'll be more to follow.

As for members living near you ... ... there's Dedworth and his wife - they're in Berkshire (of which Reading is the 'county town') - and [I think] quite a few others besides.
    Thanks Sir Arthur..!

Mabuhay sa Reading I know a lady from Davao lives in Reading,I think she has been there about 2 years?She used to have a shop in Victoria Plaza

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Quote Originally Posted by Moy View Post
    welcome to the sunny cloudy UK
    Lyods Tsb is pretty fine to start with bank account..you can use the letter from your GP/NHS as proof of your address and your ph passport ,that should be fine
    Thanks Moy, huubys been thinking about Loyds too, might do some enquiry on the nearest loyds bank here., thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    Mabuhay sa Reading I know a lady from Davao lives in Reading,I think she has been there about 2 years?She used to have a shop in Victoria Plaza
    wow tawi..you remind me of victoria plaza.. i am from davao as well if you know and use to mamalengke in bankerohan (wet market)

Thanks Moy, huubys been thinking about Loyds too, might do some enquiry on the nearest loyds bank here., thanks again
    you'll be fine arlyn ..as long as you got the requirement ive said aboved..they can open an account for you that quick even on the first visit..

Welcome aryMEnjoy & Take time to settle in

Trusted Member
    Welcome to the forum and to the UK, aryM.

There is an account available at all banks now called a 'Basic Account'.

It is much easier to open one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    you can open a bank account , as long as you got id with the address you are living at, like the council tax , emma did this straight away with the nat west
    HI arry welcome to the uk steve wool is right my florsel done exactly the same with natwest

Quote Originally Posted by Moy View Post
    the sunny cloudy UK
    Spot on! That sums up our climate perfectly ... 'temperate', it's called - with [virtually] no extremes.

welcome to the UK

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Spot on! That sums up our climate perfectly ... 'temperate', it's called - with [virtually] no extremes.

thanks everyone your ideas mean a lot to me,..a thanks for the warm welcome,.. God Bless!

great news arym
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Welcome to d uk arym! Been waiting for ur post i u r already here. Tc always
    As life is to live so love is to give

This is jennie btw. Sorry did not notice that i am logged on with alan's acct. Hehehe
    As life is to live so love is to give

Quote Originally Posted by alanp View Post
    This is jennie btw. Sorry did not notice that i am logged on with alan's acct. Hehehe
    Hi Jen,..thanks.,hope to meet you sometime We're still quite busy this past days with all the registrations. And my father in law has just died recently. It's been nearly 2 weeks now since we've arrived, and we're still coping with the UK weather

thanks everyone your ideas mean a lot to me,..a thanks for the warm welcome,.. God Bless!
    Welcome to the UK aryM. Hope u will settle ok...
    If you can't say something nice. SHUT UP!. Simple.

Oh sorry to hear that. Condolence. Hope to see u soon. Tc

Yes, It would be nice to see you personally one of these day jen,.havent meet new filipino friends here

I had problems getting abank account for Pia with Santander. We share cards but will switch accounts to joint ones as soon as we can get around to going into a branch together.
    Be responsible with little so that you can be trusted with much!!

Hi arym! Just wondering, u mention you've done nhs registration? Did they give u a nhs number? I called the gp yesterday and they said im not eligible yet until my sixth month here. I have a spouse visa. All n.i., banks and others wer ok aprt from nhs number. Hmmmm, does it depend which gp you try to register to?

Quote Originally Posted by chinee View Post
    Hi arym! Just wondering, u mention you've done nhs registration? Did they give u a nhs number? I called the gp yesterday and they said im not eligible yet until my sixth month here. I have a spouse visa. All n.i., banks and others wer ok aprt from nhs number. Hmmmm, does it depend which gp you try to register to?
    Hi Chinee, yes I've done my NHS registration but they didn't give me a number. A week after the registration my husband and I took my son to the GP for being ill and was sent for blood test, and went to see another doctor at Royal Berks hospital and found out that our names were not yet on the list as NHS registered, but still we were accommodated cos we told them that we have registered already and showed some documents. I don't know if there's a processing time for that, might ask about it too now cos we might be asked next time about our NHS number.

Hmmm, ok. Coz I have been registered with that gp since 2005, but still I wont be given a number as I need to be here for at least 6 months since coming back june this year. They mentioned that I can get free treatment for Accident and emergencies...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information