Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is white rice a healthy choice.

Is white rice a healthy choice.

Is white rice a healthy option..? im a big fan of rice in any form... but i just decide to look at its health properties..

there i found that its not as healthy as i thought..

for instance one cup of instant white rice has around 165 calories,approx 4g of protien too per serving, has fewer vitamins and minerals as compared to brown rice.

Health Risks..

refined white rice has a higher glycemic index than brown rice..meaning it breaks down into glucose much quickly after eating compared to brown rice..

Foods with a high glycemic index can increase the risk of type 2 diabetes..( according to the harvard school of public health).

A harvard study showed that eating five or more helpings of white rice per week, increased the risk of developing type 2 diabetes by 17 percent.. while those who ate 2 portions of brown rice per week reduced their risk by 11 percent.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT.

Trusted Member
    The staple diet of billions of healthy Chinese.

It's the good stuff Asians eat with it that balances things up.

There are more people in this country taking medication for stress than anything else, so with that in mind I will be sticking with my 'everything in moderation' philosophy, and not joining the miserable, the obese and the paranoid.

Recent figures show that diabetes has reached epidemic levels in china and asia and has no sign of slowing down..and this will become worse for the sufferes as the health programme in these countries are far below our standards..

just thought id mention the link between white and brown rice graham

I love my white rice and make it colorful and healthy
    the price of brown rice here in the uk will stress me and its not healthy
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Trusted Member
    I'll stick with my spuds.

ive just become a brown rice and baked jacket vegetarian... but ive upped my daily alcholol to 3 pints a day as its good for your blood pressure

sticky rice is much nicer mixed up with white rice

or if i was in my hometown i prefer maiz rapsa

White rice has been fully milled and polished. These processes will remove some nutrients.
    Brown rice is essentially unmilled so it DOES contain more natural nutrients than white rice. (including the cereal germ)
    Really the only differences between white rice and brown rice is down to this. Both begin life as the same rice.
    We have some rice fields and can choose to enjoy some brown rice if we want, but it's very difficult to store brown rice without spoiling so mostly we have white rice.
    The milling groups we use,will (for extra cost) add some additional vitamins to the white rice in a process called Rice Enrichment. Not everyones does it but we do it for all our white rice.
    We are able to offset most of the cost of enrichment by making sure we get paid for the milling waste which can be used in animal feeds. Not everybody seems to know that, you must request that from the miller.

I have not done any research but my logic is that "enriched white rice" should be the same as unmilled rice (brown rice)
    The Philippine Rice Research Institute centre in Nueva Ecija has plenty of really good advice on all aspects of rice production. Everyone I've ever contacted and talked to there has been extremely helpful.

Maybe some others here can give a much more scientific answer about brown and enriched white.
    Actually I have no idea just how much rice is enriched in Pinas. Would be interested to know though.

well said terpe

http://http://www.whfoods.com/genpag...spice&dbid=128

some interesting info here terpe...

Quote Originally Posted by branno View Post
    http://http://www.whfoods.com/genpag...spice&dbid=128

some interesting info here terpe...
    That link appears to be broken.

Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    I love my white rice and make it colorful and healthy
    the price of brown rice here in the uk will stress me and its not healthy
    so will presciption charges if you need them

so will presciption charges if you need them
    prescriptions in scotland are now free

Thanks for the (now working) link branno.
    It says that brown rice may be stored for 6 months (if done correctly)
    This seems to be great news, especially for me. I am using a hybrid rice that will harvest 3 times per year. (and it does appear to do so, but can confirm after some more succesful years etc) Means I can probably store brown (unmilled/unpolished) rice between harvests ( at least for personal consumption.

Your link does not contain any info on vitamin enriched white rice, so I need to continue research on that.
    Wikipedia states that USA will not allow white rice that has not been "enriched". Whatever that counts for

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    prescriptions in scotland are now free
    so they are

so they are
    so its ok if i eat the white rice lol

so its ok if i eat the white rice lol
    nooo brown rice is healthier and prescriptions still have to be paid for...

nooo brown rice is healthier and prescriptions still have to be paid for...
    its funny how we all enjoy the unhealthy food more ,
    i think in my case, after all the asbestos dust iv swallowed and inhaled,fibre glass too,not to forget years of smoking , processed food,ect, i dont think a little white rice will kill me

its funny how we all enjoy the unhealthy food more ,
    i think in my case, after all the asbestos dust iv swallowed and inhaled,fibre glass too,not to forget years of smoking , processed food,ect, i dont think a little white rice will kill me
    no but the prescribed medication may ...

no but the prescribed medication may ...
    ok you got me, i surrender

ok you got me, i surrender

me too but going back to the rice topic.. theres a hidden hunger in rice.. mostly in asia and with the low income earners.. the lack of essential vitamins and minerals in the diet and the adverse consequencies of such on health is hidden hunger, esp wen blindness among children and symptons of nutritional amnemia shows and wen the weight of children is retarded.. hidden hunger has struck..

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2761840/

a few facts on enriched rice and washing and non washing the rice before been cooked.

Trusted Member
    A harvard study showed that eating five or more helpings of white rice per week, increased the risk of developing type 2 diabetes by 17 percent.. while those who ate 2 portions of brown rice per week reduced their risk by 11 percent.
    The original article ( http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/con...urcetype=HWCIT ) was about 40,000 men and 157,000 women from the USA. Only 2 % ate this much white rice. The authors said " We estimated (*) that replacing one-third serving of white rice with the same amount of brown rice was associated with a 16 % lower risk of type 2 diabetes ". Don't rely on media " interpretations " - read what the authors actually said !
    Diabetes, especially type 2 which accounts for three-quarters of cases, is increasing world-wide. There are around 240 m ; at least 2 m in the UK and more than twice that number in the Philippines. Many are undiagnosed until too late. It's easier to detect ( urine glucose ) BEFORE multiple problems arise ( heart disease, stroke, kidney disease, blindness ). They cost a lot more - in every sense.
    A healthy diet, low in fat, sugar, and salt, with regular exercise and keeping to ideal weight are often sufficient. Insulin ( especially in type 1 diabetes ) or other drugs may also be needed to lead a normal lifestyle. Changing to brown rice and other wholegrain foods are only part of the answer to this global disease.
    The Philippines allegedly has some of the highest prices for medicines in Asian countries. The problem, as always, is affordability - of drugs and healthy diet. Screening for - and treating - early diabetes is SO much better than dealing with the diseases it causes . The public health insurance company PhilHealth paid out over 250 m pesos for diabetes-related admissions in 2006. Anyone with loved ones in the Philippines should seriously think about health insurance . Type 2 diabetes may have no symptoms until something serious, like a heart attack, announces its presence

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    Talking about the nutrients you get from white rice in comparison to other options like organic brown rice, the result is really astonishing. I have a friend who is taking up food chemistry and this is what he did for his final thesis. He fed 2 groups of chicks (small chicken) and put them under observation. One was fed with white rice while the other was fed with brown rice. After a little over 2 months, the group eating white rice became weaker and would regularly fall down as the bones were somewhat affected. This might be coincidence but you be the judge.

Hmm ... ... "food for thought" - not once ... not twice - but thrice !!!

Trusted Member
    Nothing wrong with white rice.....as part of a BALANCED diet.

Trusted Member
    Of course a balanced diet is part of healthy living. But clearly large sections of the world's population, including UK and Philippines, are unaware - or unable - to eat healthily. Every gram of fat in food contains 9 calories ; each gram of carbohydrate or protein contains 5 calories. Obesity affects 1/4 and costs our health service as much as smoking. Diabetes mellitus is increasing worldwide at an alarming rate.
    We have a responsibility to ourselves, but also anyone we care for, to be aware of what's good and bad for our health. That was the point of Branno's thread, and my post in response to it.
    My point is this : both obesity and diabetes can be managed a lot more cheaply - in every sense - if recognised early. The consequences of not treating early are dire ( I won't list them all here ).
    Registering with a GP and having a health check up is free in this country . Health care and insurance in the Philippines will probably cost, and may be truly unaffordable for many. But " bulag na e hindi pa kumikita " ( blind already - from diabetes - while not yet earning money ) could be the alternative.
    Of course life should be enjoyed but it's sensible to be aware of what improves your chances of an enjoyable and productive life .
    Treat these two conditions early, reduce stress and the need for antidepressants

Trusted Member
    Thanks.

So you agree with what I said then.

Unfortunately too many people just choose to ignore sensible advice (like yours) when it is offered, and the rest of us end up paying .

ive just become a brown rice and baked jacket vegetarian... but ive upped my daily alcholol to 3 pints a day as its good for your blood pressure
    brown rice will not save u if u were drinking 3pints of beer a day, u will end up with a prescription someday
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information