Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is white rice a healthy choice.

sticky rice for me

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post

So you agree with what I said then.

Unfortunately too many people just choose to ignore sensible advice (like yours) when it is offered, and the rest of us end up paying .
    Of course I agree, and thanks in return for the compliment .
    I understand what you mean - in the UK our health service can hardly cope with current levels of obesity, smoking, and alcohol abuse. It's mainly free at the point of use but we pay for it through our taxes. Our health care system is very different to that of the Philippines. The common illnesses of our two countries are surprisingly similar. Probably most members realise this and therefore know what can be done about it - information and advice is here on the forum. The type and amount of dietary rice is just part of the recipe for health.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    brown rice will not save u if u were drinking 3pints of beer a day, u will end up with a prescription someday
    So true -far from lowering blood pressure, alcohol abuse is a risk factor for HIGH blood pressure ( in addition to heart disease, brain damage including stroke, liver disease and certain cancers ) .

im fully aware of certain facts re, drinking in excess.. but lots of reports say that 2 0r 3 beers per day can be very benificial to your health..

Quote Originally Posted by branno View Post
    im fully aware of certain facts re, drinking in excess.. but lots of reports say that 2 0r 3 beers per day can be very benificial to your health..
    Lots of reports
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Trusted Member
    Try reading this :-http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....in-moderation-!

I like Brown Rice

Can anyone give information on why some say re heating cooked rice can be dangerous?

Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by mickcant View Post
    I like Brown Rice

Can anyone give information on why some say re heating cooked rice can be dangerous?

Mick.
    I have also heard that rice if re-heated /eaten after even a day can be potentially harmful. Something to do with bacteria growing extremely fast on cooked rice... I will do some digging

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    I have also heard that rice if re-heated /eaten after even a day can be potentially harmful. Something to do with bacteria growing extremely fast on cooked rice... I will do some digging
    I found this:

Is It Dangerous to Reheat Rice?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Is it dangerous to reheat rice? It's a question we are often asked - yet the hazards involved in reheating rice are actually caused by improper storage rather than simply warming previously cooked rice - and actually apply to many other foods, too!

The reason that it is considered dangerous to reheat rice is that rice contains a naturally occurring bacteria called Bacillus cereus. Cooking the rice activates the spores of this bacteria - but, if the rice is then properly stored, it is safe to eat and to reheat (once) if needed.
    The danger, however, arises when the cooked rice is held for too long at an inappropriate temperature (between 15 deg C to 40 deg C). Normal 'room temperature' falls within this range.

What happens then is that the spores develop into bacteria, producing the toxins that cause the symptoms of food poisoning (vomiting, nausea, diarrhea and abdominal discomfort).

These toxins CANNOT be destroyed by subsequently reheating the rice - so, whether you serve the rice cold or piping hot, it is STILL unsafe to eat.

And whilst improperly stored rice is the most common source of foodborne illness from Bacillus cereus, there are other foods that may be responsible. Potatoes and pasta may contain the bacteria - but so, too, may many other foods, including meat and seafood.

The safest option, then, is to ensure that ALL foods you cook for your baby are cooled as quickly as possible (ideally within one hour), by placing them in shallow containers. They must then be transferred immediately to the fridge or freezer and stored at the correct temperature.

Some sources suggest that you may store rice in the refrigerator for up to 4 days - however, when making baby food we prefer to use the rice the day on which it was made, or to freeze it for later use.

taken from: http://www.homemade-baby-food-recipe...heat-rice.html

Thanks Steve
    So as long as I cool quickly and store in a closed container in the fridge all should be ok

With living alone I tend to cook more than I need for one meal, and save time on anouther meal!
    Mick.

Trusted Member
    Well done Steve for your serious link about Bacillus Cereus
    Here's another good link :-
    http://www.typesofbacteria.co.uk/bac...eals-rice.html

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    Well done Steve for your serious link about Bacillus Cereus
    Here's another good link :-
    http://www.typesofbacteria.co.uk/bac...eals-rice.html
    Thanks Al, also interesting to read in your link about the timescale of the symptoms of infection.
    I would imagine that quite a few of our vacation diarrhoea problems are down to possibly eating rice that has been cooked and not stored in the correct conditions. We do tend to eat lots of rice when in Phils, so surely this must be a real source of our sqits

Trusted Member
    Most interesting.

I have always been most distrustful of food cooked and prepared 'out of sight'...especially in hot countries, and for this reason I have (except for my very first trip to the Phils) rented my own accommodation and cooked my own food made from fresh ingredients, cooked in hygienic conditions and stored correctly.

This became particularly important when my son came along, and he had his first visit when only 3 months old.

One of the reasons the ex breast-fed him until he was 2 years old (plus solids of course) was to give him additional protection, most importantly when he was very young...ie no possibility of contaminated bottles/prepared milk.

We had virtually no health problems with any of the children, and I never had any stomach troubles after that initial trip 21 years ago.
    Work surfaces scrubbed with bleach, hand-washing, clean properly cooked food that hasn't been sat on a market stall for 8 hours, and fridge set at the right temperature, and you should be fine.

I follow the same regime back here in the UK, and no problem with extra food cooked. It is simply allowed to cool as quickly as possible and then put in the fridge until the next day, or put in the freezer.

http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2007/..._a_day_is.html

@ doc allan, there may be some points of interest in this doc.. im sure ur aware of all the noteable facts.. but i must say i did notice once wen i was in aussie that aboriginals wen i was out in there company the seemed to get drunk on 4 beers.. but they remained kind of level drunk... a few of us noticed this too, with different company we met...

Trusted Member
    Thanks for the link. I stand by what I have said in my thread on alcohol in the " Health Issues " section. Hopefully members have found it easier to read than the article in your link. Moderation is the key . It's off topic in your thread on rice to discuss further the impact of alcohol misuse on health, violence, and family breakdown which is estimated to cost the UK economy more than £ 25 bn , and the NHS almost £ 3 bn a year.

i fully appreciate what ur saying Doc.. myself like countless other members in this forum are greatly respective of ur valued posts and the time it takes to write and the way you make it sweet and direct..

Trusted Member
    i fully appreciate what ur saying Doc.. myself like countless other members in this forum are greatly respective of ur valued posts and the time it takes to write and the way you make it sweet and direct..
    I've just logged on to the forum this evening and you're right, it does take time, but comments like yours make it all worth while .... thank you so much my friend

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    I've just logged on to the forum this evening and you're right, it does take time, but comments like yours make it all worth while .... thank you so much my friend
    Doc .. i do wish my dad had clouted me around the ear more often then he did.. ive just seen a post for a family practitioner.. my goodness.. the wage is horendous.. i only though geoff boycott earnt that sort of money..

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    Well i dont think so that white rice aren't healthy . It's really good specialy for me because i am gluten intolrence and i can't eat wheat food that's why i eat alots of white rice . And it's fine for me .

Banned
    I like rice. Whit or brown. Savoury or sticky. Love rice pudding etc. But I eat little of it in an effort to keep my calorie consumption in check, same as for potatoes and other carbs.

My wife assures me that many people she knows eat too much rice in Phils...3 times a day....and large portions too......

OK, if we burn it off then all is well, but if we dont....not so healthy

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michealleo View Post
    Well i dont think so that white rice aren't healthy . It's really good specialy for me because i am gluten intolrence and i can't eat wheat food that's why i eat alots of white rice . And it's fine for me .
    All I know is that I see lots of slim healthy-looking ladies in the Phils....who eat lots of rice and fish, but mostly overweight ones here in the UK.

My mother is gluten-intolerant too, so I can understand your difficulty.

Banned
    I like both rice white or brown because both are beneficial for health. I always take brown rice on daily basis in lunch..

Online relationship magazine for youth and It's main aim to helping youth in all over the world...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information