Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost of Living in the UK

Newbie (Restricted Access)

Cost of Living in the UK

Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone is doing good. I received an offer from a UK company and I am planning to move there with my wife and my son(2 years old). I am a bit hesitant as I have read in different blogs that the cost of living is very high and we might not have enough to support our needs.

I have a stable job in Manila but I am very interested in exploring the scene in UK. Can you guys give rough numbers on the cost of living in UK? I know there are a lot of sites out there giving estimates but I want to know the "real" cost in terms of a Pinoy's perspective.

I hope you guys can help out.

Quote Originally Posted by cesmij View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone is doing good. I received an offer from a UK company and I am planning to move there with my wife and my son(2 years old). I am a bit hesitant as I have read in different blogs that the cost of living is very high and we might not have enough to support our needs.

I have a stable job in Manila but I am very interested in exploring the scene in UK. Can you guys give rough numbers on the cost of living in UK? I know there are a lot of sites out there giving estimates but I want to know the "real" cost in terms of a Pinoy's perspective.

Where has the job offer come from ???? I hope you are not being scammed.

Read this thread: http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....s!-very-urgent
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Hi Everyone,

Hi there, welcome here.
    I'm sure you understand that 'cost of living' is relative.
    It can be as high or as low as your disposable income allows.

Anyway, with the above in mind please have a look at this I believe it will give you a reasonable insight:-
    http://www.jrf.org.uk/sites/files/jr...-2011-full.pdf

Regarding the 'job offer' please take note of the warning given by Steve.r
    Be sure you do NOT quit you current employment and do not send any money to anyone under any circumstances.

Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone is doing good. I received an offer from a UK company and I am planning to move there with my wife and my son(2 years old).
    First of all ... give us your assurance this ISN'T the same job offer you received *a few weeks ago ...

I have a stable job in Manila ...
    ... because, if it IS, then, you'd be well-advised to stick with the stable job you're doing as a Systems Analyst in Manila. "Better the you KNOW ... etc." ... as the old saying goes ...

... but I am very interested in exploring the scene in UK. Can you guys give rough numbers on the cost of living in UK? I know there are a lot of sites out there giving estimates but I want to know the "real" cost in terms of a Pinoy's perspective.

... especially in the light of the 'SCAM' warnings given to you on this site at *that juncture. We cannot stress too STRONGLY: DO NOT - IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCES - SEND MONEY!

And ... since (as has been explained already) the cost of living is relative to one's individual priorities, the advice given to you by my trusted colleagues - both now and previously - is the best possible ... as well as the most sensible.

I personally think the tag line used by some here "Rip off Britain" is still holding true to be honest...

Houses are not cheap, running a home is expensive (gas and eleccie), high car fuel costs, taxes rising, borrowing expensive and now riots... I am sure there are good things here (ok Beer is cheap but smoking is certainly not) - but the everyday stuff is becoming an expensive necessity!

It also depends where you want to live, renting a property can be high now as property rents are increasing slowly.

Tread with caution i say..

Tone

London is EXPENSIVE Decent 2 bedroom flat, average not palatial is maybe £1000 a month? Then theres your council tax, then your bills, maybe a service charge, food, transport.................£££££££££££££££££££££££ However, heres what I would personally do, secrete myself in the back of a lorry in calaise, clothe myself in Matalan garbs, pretend not to speak a word of english apart from "Asylum". I guarantee then your going to find the streets of london are indeed paved with gold

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    London is EXPENSIVE Decent 2 bedroom flat, average not palatial is maybe £1000 a month? Then theres your council tax, then your bills, maybe a service charge, food, transport.................£££££££££££££££££££££££ However, heres what I would personally do, secrete myself in the back of a lorry in calaise, clothe myself in Matalan garbs, pretend not to speak a word of english apart from "Asylum". I guarantee then your going to find the streets of london are indeed paved with gold
    ... but it's not just London that is expensive - almost EVERYWHERE here is; ok, fair point ... London's probably THE MOST expensive of our cities in which to settle.

Also ... where ELSE is he gonna get 'Matalan' clothing if not ?

I just gave him advice on how to live a life of luxury for absolutely free here in the UK

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Trusted Member
    You will struggle to survive if your salary is less than £20,000 a year...as a SINGLE person.

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    I personally think the tag line used by some here "Rip off Britain" is still holding true to be honest...

Houses are not cheap, running a home is expensive (gas and eleccie), high car fuel costs, taxes rising, borrowing expensive and now riots... I am sure there are good things here (ok Beer is cheap but smoking is certainly not) - but the everyday stuff is becoming an expensive necessity!

It also depends where you want to live, renting a property can be high now as property rents are increasing slowly.

Tone
    s ... and mostly with what you say, Tone; EXCEPT - property rentals in the main, ain't increasing "slowly" ... they're taking off like a " house ['scuse pun] on fire!"

............However, heres what I would personally do, secrete myself in the back of a lorry in calaise, clothe myself in Matalan garbs, pretend not to speak a word of english apart from "Asylum". I guarantee then your going to find the streets of london are indeed paved with gold
    You forgot to mention the important activity of destroying or hiding all passports and ID.
    That way you can be sure that deportation is not possible.

Sorry Terpe,thanks for the tip

I just gave him advice on how to live a life of luxury for absolutely free here in the UK
    ... and I've just given him a "stern lecture" on how to SAVE [his] money - by he and his family STAYING WHERE THEY ARE!

Trusted Member
    Oy Tawi....don't be encouraging em !

Dont be selfish Graham,this is the land of milk-and-honey everything is free gratis and for nothing(Except if your caucasian and born here)

Respected Member
    However, heres what I would personally do, secrete myself in the back of a lorry in calaise, clothe myself in Matalan garbs, pretend not to speak a word of english apart from "Asylum". I guarantee then your going to find the streets of london are indeed paved with gold
    I'm British, but I might try that myself. I'll get a P&O foot ticket across the Channel, throw away my passport when I get to Calais, then forget how to speak Anglais

Quote Originally Posted by Englishman2010 View Post
    I'm British, but I might try that myself. I'll get a P&O foot ticket across the Channel, throw away my passport when I get to Calais, then forget how to speak Anglais
    Nice try Englishman, but I doubt the subsequent life style would be your cup of tea.
    Unlike most of those who do it and actually do achieve a better life by doing nothing much. Thank you all UK taxpayers for that opportunity.

uuuuhhhhh its so depressing cant afford to live cant afford to die

i think north east here is expensive too , they blame it on the transport costs

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Nice try Englishman, but I doubt the subsequent life style would be your cup of tea.
    Unlike most of those who do it and actually do achieve a better life by doing nothing much. Thank you all UK taxpayers for that opportunity.
    You're right Terpe, I probably wouldn't, so I'll just carry on working hard and paying half of my salary in Tax and NI to keep these people....and with the remainder of my salary I'll pay another 20% VAT on everything I buy

its so bloody dear here , we should all live in a comune,

I think the OP needs to give us more info about his job, the offer and how much he has been offered (salary) to come here. I think just a scam tbh, he made only one post 3 weeks ago (very similar to this one) and we all made helpful suggestions, but then nothing, no reply at all to our help.

His new post (number 2) also has no replies from the OP and we are all wittering on. Without positive feedback from the OP our suggestions and opinions are wasted imo, (apart for our own enjoyment of course)

if is getting scammed i hope he comes back to check it out, i just hate the thought anyone being scammed with such promissis and hopes, let alone the dosh

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    its so bloody dear here , we should all live in a comune,
    Why don't we buy an island in the South China Sea ?

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Why don't we buy an island in the South China Sea ?
    Nice idea, but it's too late for that, aren't the Chinese about to use force, if necessary to take them over

I am still looking for a replacement for starfish Island that was recently bought for just 20 million pesos, could have been a great ex pats community.
    Live your life for a reason and don't worry be happy

if you don't know where you are going then any road will do!!

They can have the Spratlys, just leave Palawan alone
    Live your life for a reason and don't worry be happy

if you don't know where you are going then any road will do!!

Hi Everyone,

They tax everything here..btw, what is the name of the UK company?
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Trusted Member
    Yes, more information please so that we can expose another scammer, if that be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    I think the OP needs to give us more info about his job, the offer and how much he has been offered (salary) to come here. I think just a scam tbh, he made only one post 3 weeks ago (very similar to this one) and we all made helpful suggestions, but then nothing, no reply at all to our help.

His new post (number 2) also has no replies from the OP and we are all wittering on. Without positive feedback from the OP our suggestions and opinions are wasted imo, (apart for our own enjoyment of course)

Trusted Member
    Don't forget the 'for our own enjoyment' bit Steve.
    You know how we can take any thread off on a virtual world tour of whimsy and irrelevance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information