Thread: pocket money upon entry to u.k

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I get the impression that it all depends on which ECO and Immigration Officer you get
    No, it does NOT.

A visitor's visa & a fiancee visa are two different things.

In the case of a visitor's visa, you must have sufficient funds to pay for your upkeep (hotels, food, travel etc), or have proof of access to sufficient funds.

In the case of a fiance/marriage visa, your (future) husband has already committed to paying for your upkeep. This was part of the application process.

... so, a fiancee can legitimately arrive here with not a brass farthing in her pocket.
    No man is an island, but Barry is

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdjones View Post
    I get the impression that it all depends on which ECO and Immigration Officer you get
    No, it does NOT.

A visitor's visa & a fiancee visa are two different things.

In the case of a visitor's visa, you must have sufficient funds to pay for your upkeep (hotels, food, travel etc), or have proof of access to sufficient funds.

In the case of a fiance/marriage visa, your (future) husband has already committed to paying for your upkeep. This was part of the application process.

... so, a fiancee can legitimately arrive here with not a brass farthing in her pocket.

Very true in the vast majority of cases but i'm guessing possibly in a few cases the funding of not requiring public funds may come from the applicant. Rare I know but i do know of at least one documented case of a Girl who when interviewed would have not gain a visa for entry apart from the evidence of her having a considerable sum of money in her own account as the Husband was not that well off.

I have no idea of what notes the ECO's have access to and possibly whats written on individual visa stamps. So in theory I guess if a spouse visa applicant has proven they would be providing the funds to ensure no recourse to public funds then possibly they might get checked?

Still think there was some confusion here and from interactions with Immigration officers with my Wife some are far more knowledgeable than others. One very nice chap said that we could apply for ILR in so many months when whether postal or in person it could not happen typically for a good six months plus

Be prepared to check the law your self as mistakes and misunderstandings do happen and people often just think that the people in the position know whats best....

I do remember a user of one older forum mentioning that his wife was stoped and further evidence was required ( i can't remember what) and the husband outside luckily had the good sense to bring every bit of paperwork with him he could. Different requirements but its always a good idea to be over prepared than under prepared when such monumental decisions are being made..
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

Thread Information