Thread: Dog Charity - Doggy Trust

Dog Charity - Doggy Trust

Just seen the ad for this charity and they want £1 a month... fine, not much. However the ad is about a dog being thrown out of it's home as the owner could no longer afford the injections for its diabetes.... then the ad goes on to say the dog is now being looked after by them as they never put a healthy dog down .... ..... ..... it's got diabetes so it's not healthy
    Keith - Administrator

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    awww..poor dog :(

what me off is about chipping dogs so they can trace the owner if dumped, well i would have thought some lowfiles will not dump the dog if its chipped but poison or kill it another way instead of dumping it
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

I struggle with these 'African charities'
    You are eating your dinner and on they come saying so and so wont eat tonight or tmrw and you feel awful.
    Then on a news report you see plenty of fat African civilians and people with guns etc.
    I aint paying for that as they may turn into Islamic extremists and you all know what i think of them

I have my dog chipped becouse he is a loved part of my family
    (just him and me)

Why put a dog down becouse it has diabetes, it would not happen to a human and to some of us pets are valued
    Mick.

I had to put down my 5 year old Rottie last year as he had suffered with a MotorNeuron problem affecting the control of his front legs. It had developed about a year earlier and he was always hitting his front knee joints and scrapping his nails on the floor. Steroids and antibiotics cost me around a £110 per month but he was never going to improve and in the end was howling with pain. I miss him ,but cant bring myself to having another dog. The vet fee for putting him down was nearly £190 so its no wonder people are dumping dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete/London View Post
    IThe vet fee for putting him down was nearly £190 so its no wonder people are dumping dogs.
    i had to pay nearly £1k for an emergency op for my dog, she was getting but i had no choice, she lasted another year or so, went down hill, had loads of things wrong with her , i've been there b4 holding my previous dogs when they've had to be put down, but even thou she was so ill, she struggled and put up a fight and took what seemed a life time to die, must have been a minute, something i'll never forget and i've seen some in my life
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    Just seen the ad for this charity and they want £1 a month... fine, not much. However the ad is about a dog being thrown out of it's home as the owner could no longer afford the injections for its diabetes.... then the ad goes on to say the dog is now being looked after by them as they never put a healthy dog down .... ..... ..... it's got diabetes so it's not healthy
    ... I've got diabetes ... should I be "put down"?

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Do we need a forum vote on this one?
    Keith - Administrator

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Of course not Arthur, but you're not alone, so we can't set up a charity either . Diabetes, especially type 2 ( 3/4 cases ), is increasing world-wide. There are around 240 m ; at least 2 m in the UK and more than twice that number in the Philippines. Many - especially in the Philippines - are not diagnosed early enough. It's easier to detect ( test blood / urine sugar ) and treat BEFORE multiple problems arise ( heart disease, stroke, kidney disease, blindness ).
    A healthy diet, low in fat, sugar, and salt, with regular exercise and keeping to ideal weight are often sufficient. Insulin ( especially in type 1 diabetes ) or other drugs may also be needed to allow a normal lifestyle.
    The Philippines seems to have some of the highest prices for medicines in Asian countries. The problem is affordability - of drugs and healthy diet.
    As for dogs, it's also common, especially in females, can affect any breed, some more than others, and is usually diagnosed around the ages of 6 - 10 years. They're often obese, and start drinking more water, producing more urine, with increased appetite, then weight loss. Untreated, complications like infections and cataracts arise. As with humans, the diagnosis is easy ( blood / urine sugar ). Treatment :- insulin injections ( needles are small ) and dietary control - oral drugs don't work. Diagnosed early enough, there's no reason why they should not then also lead normal lives .

Thread Information