Thread: Emirates

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Englishman2010 View Post
    Gone are the days of the middle east being cheap. back in the nineties I used to go to India a lot via Bahrain or Abu Dhabi, in those days you could get some real bargains, but these days I reckon Britain is as cheap as anywhere for consumer electrical goods.
    Thats interesting to note. I used to travel to the middle east a lot in the 80s and duty free that was there was good then price wise. But when i recently went through Saudi and Abu Dhabi recently I was shocked at the prices......couldnt believe it. I thought who would want to buy from them?

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    Thats interesting to note. I used to travel to the middle east a lot in the 80s and duty free that was there was good then price wise. But when i recently went through Saudi and Abu Dhabi recently I was shocked at the prices......couldnt believe it. I thought who would want to buy from them?
    I agree, it used to be a shoppers paradise, but not now. I don't think the poor exchange rate for Sterling helps, but also with the huge investment these countries have made in their infrastructures the prices of goods in shops has risen as the retailers rents have increased. The internet has also meant that goods in the UK have had to become more competitive as we can buy goods from anywhere in the world at the click of the mouse

I haven`t travelled via Dubai for about 4 years but it used to be very good for buying 22crt gold earings for about £16 to £20 that make good presents. Must have gone up now due to gold price rises, you pick out the jewellery and they weigh them and charge you the gold price. Also good raffles for some super prizes.
    It never struck me as being that big an airport, have they added more recently? Bangkok seems twice its size.

Thread Information