Hi

My wife and I applied for Indefinite leave to remain over a month ago and we JUST received our paperwork back today, telling us that the application was Invalid due to the payment being rejected....I always made sure my credit card was topped up with funds but don't know why the payment wasn't accepted.

With the paperwork, there was a letter telling us to re-apply and what to do to ensure that the payment is accepted so this time, we will use a cheque payment.

The problem is, however, that my wife's FLR expired last week and we are very worried that our next application will be regarded as an "after stay application" and will be rejected. I phoned UK Border Agency today and spoke to two people who gave contrasting information :
The first person said that it would be a new application, after the expiry date, would be rejected and your wife should return home immediately.

The second person I spoke to said that we have been given written confirmation to re-apply and the application is therefore still "in progress" and her status is secure.

Whilst we want to believe the second conversation, the words spoken by the 1st person were very cold and almost sinister and we are just wondering if anybody else has been in a similar situation.

Finally, we applied for the ILRM Well within the 28 day time period and did everything "by the book"

Many thanks.