Thread: I-phone vs Android?

Respected Member

I-phone vs Android?

My phone contract is over and it's time to change my handset again. I'm on a 02 Multiple User Business Contract and very happy with them as I don't pay the bill, so don't need to change tariff/network thanks

I've had HTC Androids (Hero and Desire) the last couple of times, and have been very happy with them, they do everything I need and haven't let me down, they seem well built and able to survive the odd drop on the floor.

I'm tempted to upgrade to a Desire HD or Sensation XE/XL as I know my way around HTC's and they are a doddle to set up and sync with my various e-mail, gmail, ymail and chat programmes on my pc's.

I don't want another Blackberry, so the only credible alternative is the latest I-phone (not sure of it's number).

I know Apple fans are die hard believers and slag off anything that isn't Apple, but I've always felt that Apple products were more about great marketing and style over substance and are just the latest fashion item rather than any better than the competition.

I don't want one of the thousands of cheaply made Android handsets on the market, as I can have any handset I want (except a Vertu).

What are the pro's and con's of I-phones and how do they compare to a good quality top end Android?

Banned
    I think the iphone is better built. Sturdier. Also easier to use. Better screen resolution. My wife has an Android. But she keeps nicking my iphone cos its better.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    I think the iphone is better built. Sturdier. Also easier to use. My wife has an Android. But she keeps nicking my iphone cos its better.
    Thanks Lastlid Which Android though There are hundreds of different Android handsets made by a large number of manufacturers. I agree, the cheap ones aren't well made and will fall apart if they are dropped too many times.

Banned
    http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...ts-better-for/

Hi. There are a fair few comparisons on the internet. Here is one. My wife's is a cheaper but not cheapest Android - Samsung Galaxy Ace.

In truth I dont know so much about the top end of the Android market. I was encouraged into buying an iPhone as my boss is an "Apple freak". We use Macs at work all the time, you see.

My only reservation on the Apple phone is the price. I wish it were a wee bit cheaper....but yours is free so no probs....

Respected Member
    http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...ts-better-for/

In truth I dont know so much about the top end of the Android market. I was encouraged into buying an iPhone as my boss is an "Apple freak". We use Macs at work all the time, you see.

My only reservation on the Apple phone is the price. I wish it were a wee bit cheaper....but yours is free so no probs....
    I have an Apple freak colleague at work too I don't think there's a great deal of difference between the price of Apples and the latest HTC, but as price isn't the issue, I'm not bothered I'm more concerned about how it performs and syncs with my Google based accounts

BTW, thanks for the link, it was very useful although I'm still none the wiser I may just stick with HTC Androids as I know how they work and don't have to worry about learning a new O/S or worry about Apps not working correctly

Banned
    I need to check with my wife but she finds the iPhone better for messing with facebook and twitter etc.

Personally, I don't need such smart phones.
    My wife has always been a iPhone fan and is currently using iPhone4S in white. Nice phone, but nowhere near as sexy as the 'old versions'

Everthing looks like iPhone these days. Plenty of people say that the original (Apple) still has the crown.

Sorry Ian, I can't give you any advice but at least I can 'muddy-the-waters' for you.

Look here:-

More than 50% of an iPhone's components (by value) are made by Samsung. Several hundred Samsung engineers work at Apple's headquarters in Cupertino to help develop the next iPhone.

The Korean firm is keen not to damage its relationship with Apple "just to sell a couple of million more phones".

Apple, in turn, may find it difficult to find a new partner that can match Samsung's production capacity.

Source:-
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14238741

By the way Ian have you considered the Nokia Lumia 800
    The OS is Windows Phone 7.5 Mango

Looks quite good.

Of course Nokia is no longer 'trendy' but could be a nice product.
    Maybe Nokia's last big push

Respected Member
    Thanks Terpe Yes I am aware of the latest Nokia Windows phones, and have had many Nokia's in the past. I'm not sure if the latest Mobile Windows is a credible alternative to the Apple or Android OS yet If it's properly developed and supported, it could be a good alternative in 12 months when I upgrade again

In here the Samsung Galaxy S2 gets a good rating ...

http://www.t3.com/features/best-android-phones

Samsung Galaxy S II

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
    In here the Samsung Galaxy S2 gets a good rating ...

http://www.t3.com/features/best-android-phones
    Thanks for that link, it was very helpful.

Based on build quality, I'm certain I'll stick with HTC as the Samsung SII is a bit flimsy, even though it's screen resolution is slightly better.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Englishman2010 View Post

..... I may just stick with HTC Androids as I know how they work and don't have to worry about learning a new O/S or worry about Apps not working correctly
    I find the O/S on the iPhone easy to use and no problem with Apps not working. You would find that the software is the same as for the iPad etc. Having said that I could curse the iTunes software. But even so I found it easier than Samsung Keys

Also I always find Apple support is first class....so far anyway.

I love my HTC Wildfire S ....Iphone is a bit too expensive for me....they both do the basics which is to call , text, people in your phonebooks lol ..if I want to do FB and other apps I might just use my tablet /netbook or the big computer , it'll save me lots of money to pay for my contract
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    I love my HTC Wildfire S ....Iphone is a bit too expensive for me....they both do the basics which is to call , text, people in your phonebooks lol ..if I want to do FB and other apps I might just use my tablet /netbook or the big computer , it'll save me lots of money to pay for my contract
    That's quite true Sars
    Now where did I put my old Nokia from the last millenium

............Also I always find Apple support is first class....so far anyway.
    Must agree that the few times I used the Apple Store at Milton Keynes I've been very impressed. Intelligent, highly knowledgeable and helpful.

I had my Htc desire for a year now been great phone

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by les_taxi View Post
    I had my Htc desire for a year now been great phone
    That's my problem Les, I love my HTC Desire, it's been a really good phone, and is in perfect condition still. I don't need to change it, but because I can I will

My phone contract is over and it's time to change my handset again. I'm on a 02 Multiple User Business Contract and very happy with them as I don't pay the bill, so don't need to change tariff/network thanks

What are the pro's and con's of I-phones and how do they compare to a good quality top end Android?
    If your not paying the bill ...get the iPhone!!!

Iphone has got more secure environment when it comes to applications because they follow strict requirements unlike Android environment it is more open with google and is more vulnerable to threats,malware etc..

Now where did I put my old Nokia from the last millenium
    I always throw my phone whenever i try to call someone and its giving me the voicemail..this is how I learned that sony ericsson is much better than any other brands

Not sure at the moment, east midlands, rice farm or manila
    HTC everytime I think the iphone is over priced for what it is and is as you've said down to great marketing. The big plus for me is the HTC can come sim free which allows me to buy local sim cards when abroad where as the iphone are locked unless you jailbreak them which is often reversed with the next software update. With regards to screen quality I think the new HTC's are comparable to the iphones now. Don't be a slave to marketing go HTC!!!
    It's been emontional

have to agree with sars, i have the sony ericson experia, not the x10 but the full size version like the iphone, much slimmer than the iphone and far more reliable,
    All three of my kids have the iphones and none of them can get a signal in my house but experia has no probs, nor does my old motorola v3 i use for work, Always hearing horror stories about the iphone, doing this and that and apple will fix it on the next update, but until then accept our appologies for waking you up at 2am every morning,

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    HTC everytime I think the iphone is over priced for what it is and is as you've said down to great marketing. The big plus for me is the HTC can come sim free which allows me to buy local sim cards when abroad where as the iphone are locked unless you jailbreak them which is often reversed with the next software update. With regards to screen quality I think the new HTC's are comparable to the iphones now. Don't be a slave to marketing go HTC!!!
    You make a very good point there about it being SIM free Stu As my last few phones have found their way to the Phil's and no doubt any future phones will, it's an important consideration.

HTC it is then but shall I keep my existing Desire or get a newer model

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    I have a Nokia N8 and it works great for me..best in taking photos & videos too coz it has 12 megapix..anyway, if that's not any of your concern, stick with HTC and forget about iPhone..my officemate and her husband have both iphone and blackberry...and business & social networking wise, they always use their blackberry phones..and their iPhones are just for display and playing games...hahaha I've seen them holding their blackberry more than their iphones..and they now bought samsung galaxy tablets and i guess they prefer it for other things..

anyway, here's an article about iPhonve vs Android http://blogs.computerworld.com/19047..._4s_vs_android
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Respected Member
    Thanks for your replies guys.

I'm sticking with what I know and staying with HTC as their build quality is second to none for Android phones. I'm sure the i-phone is better for some things, but as I've never had one I won't know what I'm missing, and my old HTC's haven't let me down in the last couple of years and do everything that I need.

Are your sure the sexy intoxicating iPhone cannot turn your head?
    He who dares wins Rodney

phewww fones... ive just wrote two million christmas cards to family n friends whilst my new fone is on charge.... just recieved my new sony experia arc.. i agreed to some new deal like 2 million minutes of talk time, 2 million text messages and 2 million hours of internet ... but now im walking round with a bloody 64 inch plasma fone in my bloody hand, need 30 fingers to hold it and 30 thumbs to activate it... and i dont get no free pictures aaarrggghhhh

Not sure at the moment, east midlands, rice farm or manila
    You make a very good point there about it being SIM free Stu As my last few phones have found their way to the Phil's and no doubt any future phones will, it's an important consideration.

HTC it is then but shall I keep my existing Desire or get a newer model
    I have the desire myself and am very happy with it, the wife has the smaller wildfire (i think) and thats a great (nearly said smart) phone too. Trouble I have with new phones is they seem to be getting bigger and bigger so its getting harder to cary them about. I always think about the summer when getting a new phone. Can you carry a wallet, keys and a phone in the pockets of your shorts? I personally won't go bigger than a desire, though I may go to a HD desire if pushed!! These new windows operated ones are supposed to be pretty good now.
    It's been emontional

samsung galaxy s 2

if your don't have a phone yet...

Got a 3GS and i went out and bought an Android phone as i had my phone for about 2 years.... that Android phone lasted a couple of days...

Now got an iphone 4s on it's way and my missus has a Android phone :p

Thread Information