Thread: Floods in Dumaguete kill 34

Floods in Dumaguete kill 34

After tropical depression Sendong left CDO it headed for Dumaguete....It reached here at day break 6.00am Saturday morning....The Banica River which is the main river that runs thru the city burst its banks....I will try to add some pics....but it has 4m high concrete retaining walls on both sides of the river all the way to the ocean as it runs thru the city centre.

The water from the hills (Valencia) area came rushing down raising the water level 2m about the concrete retaining walls....The locals living on the side of the river never had a chance to save any of their belongings.....This is the 1st time water has ever reached to top of the walls, let alone 2m above the walls.

There wasn't much wind 65km....it was just this very very heavy rain...The down pour lasted for about 4 hrs....I went down to the boulevard about 3km from our house at 7.30am the waves were quite big....The big Super Ferry from Manila was taking a pounding at the pier...Another cargo ship the captain decided it would be better to take its chances in open water (bad decision) when it was free of the pier the waves just smashed it back into the pier damaging the hull....Eventually ended up washed up 1km down the boulevard...I had to leave the city as the water was close to the level of the exhaust pipe.

We are still without water but the power is back on, would be nice to have a shower and be able to cook....but lucky compared with other people....My partner got their family,friends & neighbors together to donate old clothes and we took a big load down to the church....Some pretty sad faces around here.....

I will try to add photo's

Try typing in this site
    http://www.dumaguete-hotels.com/send...os-oriental-2/
    or just www.dumaguete-hotels.com

By the way its not a advertisement for hotels...I have been told to fetch some water

Banned
    My wife's sister lives here. She is a school teacher there.

Thanks for the video clips.

Any contact lastlid?

Banned
    Yes, thanks Andy. Evidently she is okay, from what my wife tells me. She was chatting to her on facebook just a few hours ago. I think it is mainly in the port area where the flooding is, from what my wife says.

Thats good news mate.

Banned
    Yep. Dont know it myself. The wifes family live in Cavite. One sister lives in Dumagete.....

Trusted Member
    Thanks for taking the time to post the videos from Dumaguete, Koala, and also your graphic report, our thoughts are with you.
    Lastlid, it's a relief to know that your wife's sister is OK.

Banned
    I was wrong. I just checked with my wife. She has relatives on her dads side of the family in Damuegete. My wife was born on Negros island. She said they hadnt heard from some of them as the communications networks are down. I never met anyone from her dads side of the family and her dad passed away a few years ago. If its anything like her mums side of the family there are "millions". She said she is going to chat with her mom today to see if she has heard any news.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    Thats good news mate.
    Andy. I just noticed that your wife is from Mindanao. Is Butuan flooded?

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to post the videos from Dumaguete, Koala, and also your graphic report, our thoughts are with you.
    Lastlid, it's a relief to know that your wife's sister is OK.
    +1

Been over that river loads of times Koala,just watched the youtube clips and its incredible its changed into a foaming raging maelstrom,sad news

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Thread Information