Thread: national insurance number !!

national insurance number !!

Hi All, Looking for any advice regarding obtaining an national insurance number !!
    I did call the number given, and a rather unfriendly woman said abruptly, what was the reason for wanting an NI number.
    Wonder what other members did to obtain it ?
    Thanks

Banned
    My wife hasnt got hers yet. But we understand that one just needs to pop in to the Job Centre and ask for one.....we plan to do that soon. I will be interested to see what replies you get, Toneec.

i think it depends where you are in the UK, you might have to book an interview at the nearest JobCentre + or your might be able to do it thru the post.

reason they ask is it could be you need it for Tax creds or your looking for a job, if its for a job, they might want evidence you've been applying for jobs.
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by Toneec View Post
    Hi All, Looking for any advice regarding obtaining an national insurance number !!
    I did call the number given, and a rather unfriendly woman said abruptly, what was the reason for wanting an NI number.
    Wonder what other members did to obtain it ?
    Thanks
    Looks like that was a case of poor communication and customer service from a govt dept.
    Sorry to hear about that.

Toneec, I'm sure you've done the research needed but here is the link anyway in case other readers find it helpful:-
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...ance/DG_190057

A National Insurance number is not a form of Identity but it is used as a reference number for the whole social security system and to record NI contributions and credited contributions.

Strangely, there is no legal right to an NI number, but there are circumstances when you are legally obliged to apply for a one and register for NI purposes.

When anyone applies for a NI number they will need to have a check on their identity and to make sure they do need a NI number.

If one of the following applies then you can apply for a NI number:-

- you want to claim benefit
    - you are starting work
    - you are self-employed
    - you are looking for work
    - your partner is claiming benefit for you
    - you want to pay voluntary NI contributions
    and would benefit from paying them.

My wife applied at JobCentre+ and received an application form. It was quite an extensive form. She was requested to attend an interview, and I went with her to be sure everything was explained in 'plain English', that she understood everything and that she was treated fairly.
    As it happened, she was questioned under some pressure and asked to supply some very personal information that I strongly objected to. I stopped the interview and requested that the Manager be invited to attend. I explained that my wife was applying for NI number in order to work and that the questions being asked were personal and not related to the application form.
    Cutting a long story short we received an apology and later the NINO that she wanted.

Sometimes you will find people in such jobs who have no real understanding of how to relate to others and provide best help. It's almost as though they enjoy making things as difficult and complicated as they can.

Be sure she secures her NINO if any contributions are to be made.

Banned
    Yep. I intend to go with my wife, when she goes to the Job Centre for her NI number.....I will take a day off work for that.

Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    Yep. I intend to go with my wife, when she goes to the Job Centre for her NI number.....I will take a day off work for that.
    they might not let you attend the interview, i went with my misses, and the lady who was going to do the interview said they don't usually let the spouse attend.

i don't know what they asked your wife terpe, but i suppose they have to make sure people are genuine and not after a Nino for the purpose of fraud or ID theft.
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Banned
    I just spent a few minutes there trying to work out what a Nino was.....................

I went into the local Job Centre with my sister-in-law when she arrived last year with a view to applying for a national insurance number only to be told that they do not handle applications there and that it would have to be done by post. We were given an application form and the national insurance number was received a few weeks later by post without the need for an interview.

As already mentioned above, it appears that some areas do things differently so it might be worthwhile finding out the process in your local area before applying

Rosie, I'm sure they can only process/interview you at a Jobcentre plus, maybe it depends on how close you are to one, if they will ask you to attend an interview or use the post. mind you thou my wife got her nino 6yrs + ago and also I'm sure terpe's wife got her nino a while ago ?, so it could also be they are not carrying many interviews out anymore, as with visa's, not many are asked to attend interviews at embassies anymore (my wife was, and then my stepson was asked to attend 18 months after his mom got her visa, again many yrs ago thou)

Respected Member
    I got my NI without problem last Nov. I ring them and they ask some few questions. They booked me an appointment to the nearest jobcentre and told to bring passport, biometric card, marriage certificate and proof of address.
    At the jobcentre they ask some few infos and handed them the documents for photocopy. They also ask hubbys NI good thing he was with me. It only took 10mins. After a week I got the number. Right after Christmas got a job. Its
    a good start of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by ynwa View Post
    Right after Christmas got a job. Its
    a good start of the year.
    good news

Respected Member
    Thanks joe. Have to drag my self out of bed every morning.

Thread Information