Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: We must all sign this petition

a good figure if anyone is intrested, if you become unemployed and are faced to go on benifits life is ...., how do the goverment expect anyone to live on that amount, mortgage, credit, holidays,car, they all go, they are luxurys, i dont know what the figure you get on benifits but why dont the goverment set that as the figure but add a little more, i dont think there are many people who would not disagree with a set amount that is fair for everyone,

I may be missing something here but surely the figure should be set at what the Government thinks people can survive on. This has obviously been calculated in order to pay people who for whatever reason need to claim benefits. Why should the spouses salary need to be any higher than what the Government says 2 people need to live on. The figures of £26k is just the Government attempt to curb some of the immigration problems by attacking genuine people instead of addressing the real problem of immigration.

Quote Originally Posted by London_Manila View Post
    Back to your assumptions again
    So what exactly are you doing on here?

Pity this petition is now closed. I would have signed too.

Dont you think this debate has become a little bit one sided to say the least on this forum

seeing that some of you on this forum seem to be living in cloud cuckoo land when it comes to how much money is needed to support 2 people so i need to add some balance here

most of you dont agree with the 26k figure but then none of you can come up with a alternative figure

ok you love your sweetheart but that does not give her the right to enter the uk and reside here without any controls or checks
    If you're born and bred here, a road sweeper or a rocket scientist it should be you're right to bring over the lady you love and there shouldn't be a limit on earnings.

About time this country stopped discriminating it's own tax paying citizens and breaching their human rights.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmarco View Post
    I may be missing something here but surely the figure should be set at what the Government thinks people can survive on. This has obviously been calculated in order to pay people who for whatever reason need to claim benefits. Why should the spouses salary need to be any higher than what the Government says 2 people need to live on. The figures of £26k is just the Government attempt to curb some of the immigration problems by attacking genuine people instead of addressing the real problem of immigration.
    Spot on.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    I used to have a piggery in Quezon province but know Naga quite well as I lived about 50 miles away in a small town called Tigaon in Cam Sur some years back..
    I assume that your "share" is only 40% as you are a single person so who owns 60% of your capital input?
    Personally I would never do business as a single person here due mainly to that 60/40 rule..
    Pretty high risk strategy IMO.
    There are ways around the 60/40 rule and there are 3 of us involved in the makati internet shop

all equal shares and all english we paid a lot to the right people but it can be done
    the outlets are 100% mine but of course not in my real name if you get my drift

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    a good figure if anyone is intrested, if you become unemployed and are faced to go on benifits life is ...., how do the goverment expect anyone to live on that amount, mortgage, credit, holidays,car, they all go, they are luxurys, i dont know what the figure you get on benifits but why dont the goverment set that as the figure but add a little more, i dont think there are many people who would not disagree with a set amount that is fair for everyone,
    well how low would you make it? and what do you say to the person below that figure

Banned
    well how low would you make it? and what do you say to the person below that figure
    Using that logic, why not knock it up to a few million quid......

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieXXXmaria View Post
    If you're born and bred here, a road sweeper or a rocket scientist it should be you're right to bring over the lady you love and there shouldn't be a limit on earnings.

About time this country stopped discriminating it's own tax paying citizens and breaching their human rights.
    of course setting a figure of 26k is another way of limiting immigration
    until the government address the real immigration issues (eec) then i am sure there will be a lot more of this to come

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    Using that logic, why not knock it up to a few million quid......
    I am sure they have already thought of doing this but fear a backlash
    26k seems too high for most of the members on this forum anyway

Banned

26k knocks out 2/3rds of the working population.......not just a half.

26k is the national average wage beneath which 2/3rds of the working population sit....

Banned
    Using 26k would also discriminate in favour of those where earnings are higher e.g. London, Aberdeen etc etc

Respected Member
    It's no secret that on average it is more expensive to live in London and it's no secret that wages are higher in London. There are exceptions of course but lets assume average figures. So for that reason I would say a different figure should be used in keeping with the average person living in another part of the country where costs of living and wages are lower than the national average. So lets say for the minute that a 26k threshold is okay for London, then it is going to be too much for many of those living in other parts of the UK (not all but many). So the figure the government comes up with should at least recognise the above, somehow.

2 ways it could be done.

1] Don't use the national average or London based figures. Use a threshold in keeping with those areas of the country where wages and costs of living are lowest. (Seemingly Belfast is an example of such a city)

2] Attempt to vary the threshold regionally. This sort of thing is already in place in the form of London weighting, for example where London wages and London costs of living for are taken into account.

Its all very well someone living and working in London saying 26k or 30k ought to be the minimum when that figure is simply too much in other parts of the country.

If we look at it another way, set it at 26k for Londoners and then only the average Londoner will be eligible to bring in a spouse from a non EU country as Mr Average from other parts of the country wont be earning that threshold figure.
    The problem with making the figure different amounts based upon where they live is that some people living in london will claim to be living in other parts of the country just to meet the figure

quite possible to do as well if they have relatives outside london

and where would you draw the line on what outside london really is = m25 ???

Banned
    The problem with making the figure different amounts based upon where they live is that some people living in london will claim to be living in other parts of the country just to meet the figure

I never said it would be easy. But I am saying a flat rate of 26k regardless is wrong..

Respected Member
    Using 26k would also discriminate in favour of those where earnings are higher e.g. London, Aberdeen etc etc
    What ever figure they come up with some people will fall below that so what would you say to them?

Banned

As it stands, for ILR purposes they track ones address quite tenaciously. I am sure they could verify addresses for visa purposes.

Banned
    What ever figure they come up with some people will fall below that so what would you say to them?
    I would say that the government should seek to be as fair as possible. And not to go for a one size fits all approach.

As someone said above, enough to get by on.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    So what exactly are you doing on here?
    Just giving another point of view and i personally feel that there does need to be some controls on immigration matters such as this

if not then where would we be, the country would probably be full of spouses from the guys who had just spent 2 weeks in places like thailand on holiday = yes there is a real risk of that if you make it so easy

Respected Member
    As it stands, for ILR purposes they track ones address quite tenaciously. I am sure they could verify addresses for visa purposes.
    Maybe but there will always be ways around it

Banned
    Maybe but there will always be ways around it
    So should immigration be stopped altogether? That would make it easier to administer and less ways around that?

single benifet is £65 per week that is what i was on before going back to work after i got devorce but you also get housing to i didnt go on dole or sign on for a long time but in the end couldnt not to but i had hard time out of that money i had electrice /gas tv licence yes i did get one plus my car i went without just to keep it now as am a driver i have to go by driveing rules and can only work 9 hrs a day driving i cant afford two jobs to make up a good wage because sooner or later i would just flip after all i got to sleep sometime

why change it in the first place, leave it alone i say

Respected Member
    Some further reading for all you "loved up" guys "for the love of my son" by Margaret Davis

Yes i am sure most of you know all about this sad case but not all of you

RIP STEVE DAVIS

Some further reading for all you "loved up" guys
    its great when you have someone to love, i dont know if you are making fun in how you are saying this, but try it if you have not,

Just been reading parts of this thread but my pc is so blooming slow tonight it would take me forever
    Anyway....has this now been put in place?
    Is there a set limit for my earnings when trying to get my wife (to soon be) into the country even though she has a guarentee for a job with a letter from the employer for the visa application?

Quote Originally Posted by brinormeg View Post
    Just been reading parts of this thread but my pc is so blooming slow tonight it would take me forever
    Is there a set limit for my earnings when trying to get my wife (to soon be) into the country even though she has a guarentee for a job with a letter from the employer for the visa application?
    Oh and no I dont make anything near £26K a year and do live in aberdeen with as high a cost of living as london, but nothing near the wages to match, unless you are in the oil industry, which there are many thousands who arent.

Just giving another point of view and i personally feel that there does need to be some controls on immigration matters such as this

if not then where would we be, the country would probably be full of spouses from the guys who had just spent 2 weeks in places like thailand on holiday = yes there is a real risk of that if you make it so easy
    they do look for evidence of a relationship, didnt you know

Oh and no I dont make anything near £26K a year and do live in aberdeen with as high a cost of living as london, but nothing near the wages to match, unless you are in the oil industry, which there are many thousands who arent.
    i agree

Banned
    This figure hasn't been put in place. It is just one that the government have looked at. Hence the thread. We are supposed to be hearing more by June 6th.

It is my understanding that the focus is entirely on you, the sponsor and what you earn.

Thread Information