Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anglo-Filipino Couples: UK Channel 4 documentary series

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Newbie (Restricted Access)

Anglo-Filipino Couples: UK Channel 4 documentary series

Fresh One are a UK based television production company founded by the television chef Jamie Oliver, and are making a primetime, documentary series for Channel 4 television about young, Anglo-Filipino relationships in Britain today. The series hopes to offer genuine insight into modern relationships between young, British men and young, Filipino women who have found love and are about to come to the UK for first time.

The documentary hopes to offer a fresh and contemporary perspective on a new generation of Anglo- Filipino partnerships, challenging old stereotypes and exploring the cultural diversity that can be achieved in such couples. Our aim is to produce a series with a warm and informative tone, following the Filipino women’s experiences of British culture for the first time and documenting the couples expectations of one another and how these can be achieved and overcome.

We are looking for people who have recently settled in the UK but also those who are potentially about to settle in the UK in the next few months. This allows us to document the Filipino women’s first encounters of British culture - be that, food, family or work - and through this hold a mirror up to British values, our expectations and contemporary culture in comparison. Our idea is to produce a warm documentary that looks at British men, British women and the nuances we may take for granted in our British culture through the new Filipino settlers eyes.

I would be incredibly grateful if you could pass this email to any members who have recently settled in the UK or are about to settle in the UK. Or I can send you our ad spec by email if it is easier? My details so they can contact me are below, so if they are interested in taking part in the series they can contact me directly. We are hoping to speak to various such couples for an initial confidential research chat to firstly find out more about their own experiences and also to find couples who are interested in finding out about the series in a view to potentially be part of it once in production.

Do let me know if this is something you might be able to help with.
    Many thanks once again for being so helpful.
    Yours,
    Rosie

Producer| Fresh One Productions Ltd
    19-21 Nile Street | London | N1 7LL | United Kingdom
    Direct Line: +44 (0) 203 375 5120
    rosie.o’connor@freshone.tv

Banned
    Nice one. Thanks.

Any idea when this will be shown? Looks like it is yet to be made....

Only thing is, I cant really describe myself as a young British male.

television chef Jamie Oliver
    the Filipino women’s first encounters of British culture - be that, food
    Jamie could go round their house and cook for the couple

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    Jamie could go round their house and cook for the couple
    Not such a daft idea. Neither me nor my wife can cook. Has been a bit of a problem for us...

Respected Member
    Great idea and good luck

Will Jamie be teaching the British public how to cook a decent Adobo or Sinigang in his next TV series

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Englishman2010 View Post
    Will Jamie be teaching the British public how to cook a decent Adobo or Sinigang in his next TV series
    I hope so.....and why not....not so daft an idea as it sounds either....

My wife and I have been discussing the very topic, chicken adobo, today as it will be another first for her to cook it here....

Will Jamie be teaching the British public how to cook a decent Adobo or Sinigang
    I was actually thinking more of next-doors Yorkshire Terrier,Jamie comes round,gets tanked up on Tanduay and Red Horse,feels peckish,cupboards are bare,hears the yorkie yapping next door It is supposed to be a real-life documentary right

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Luckily, my wife is a wonderful cook, she can rustle up a meal for the family in minutes...... and I dont mean whipping down to the local Burger Machine
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    Luckily, my wife is a wonderful cook, she can rustle up a meal for the family in minutes...... and I dont mean whipping down to the local Burger Machine
    My wifes mum is like that but she is in Cavite!

All pinays can cook I think?Its genetic,my woman can cook everything and anything from snake to steak,she spends a lot of time at meetings and travelling but when she is back home at her mums her relaxation is to cook,its her hobby

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    All pinays can cook I think?Its genetic,my woman can cook everything and anything from snake to steak,she spends a lot of time at meetings and travelling but when she is back home at her mums her relaxation is to cook,its her hobby
    No they cant. My wife has a degree in Hotel and Restaurant Management but cant cook. Her mum cooks full time for her employers family. Amazing.

a degree in Hotel and Restaurant Management but cant cook.
    Thats incredible I never met one yet who didnt oohhh and ahhhh when looking at shiny new pans and sharp knives and kitchen stuff We live and learn

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    a chance for the couples here to be a star!
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    a chance for the couples here to be a star!

Anyone doing it should be able to negotiate a fairly fat fee - there won't be many takers

Banned
    Thats incredible I never met one yet who didnt oohhh and ahhhh when looking at shiny new pans and sharp knives and kitchen stuff We live and learn
    Maybe she is one of a new breed of modern day Filipinas........

Maybe she is one of a new breed of modern day Filipinas........
    Yup,times are a changing

Banned
    Yup,times are a changing
    We were both talking last night, how her life has been so different to her mother's and how her nephew's life will probably be so different again.....

Im not a good cook as well, but my husband think I am. LOL! He likes adobo and pork chop. I told him those are the easy to cook. ...He still think that I am...tsk tsk.. poor hubby hasnt tasted those food that are cook from a real filipino cook... for the meantime, just enjoying the compliment. As i know it wont be long he will found out my cooking is a crap!!!

Whilst living in Malaysia Rina was never showing her culinary skills, now she is here with me in England she has completely blown me away with her cooking, I love it!
    Good thing is I can cook pretty decent Indian dishes too - although I dont do it so often these days!

so who is up for showing the rest of the country how easy it is to bring your loved one to these shores legally?

Tone

I'm not a cook and I don't need to be coz Keith only eats fried rice and chicken most of the time..hahaha.. But I'm kinda learning how to cook now coz I need to if I want to eat Filipino dishes..I know how to cook pork sinigang, adobo, giniling (ground beef/pork with diced carrots and potatoes) and pinoy style spaghetti now.. I hope I can cook my favorite kare-kare someday thanks to youtube!
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

I like this thread! I'm not flattering myself but cooking is my passion, I do love to cook! My specialties are Filipino, Italian, Thai, Japanese & English foods. I had a small short order business before and I had a short training. But I only cook at home, I'd like to study again and take Culinary course in England. My husband can't cook that much he only knows how to eat but sometimes he prepare traditional English foods. But still, I'm proud of him

I'd like to invite you at home someday guys. I cook a lot of foods when there is celebration and I love to see people eating my dishes.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juvyjones28 View Post

I'd like to invite you at home someday guys. I cook a lot of foods when there is celebration and I love to see people eating my dishes.
    What a generous offer . I wish you all the luck in sorting your spouse visa and coming to UK in March - when you do that will be cause enough for celebration !
    You have made a good impression on the forum Juvy, I'm glad of your friendship, please stay around .

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    What a generous offer . I wish you all the luck in sorting your spouse visa and coming to UK in March - when you do that will be cause enough for celebration !
    You have made a good impression on the forum Juvy, I'm glad of your friendship, please stay around .
    Thanks Doc Alan! Yes we will celebrate once I get my spouse visa granted

for the friendship as well.

Ingat palagi.

Respected Member South-east boy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    I'm not a cook and I don't need to be coz Keith only eats fried rice and chicken most of the time..hahaha.. But I'm kinda learning how to cook now coz I need to if I want to eat Filipino dishes..I know how to cook pork sinigang, adobo, giniling (ground beef/pork with diced carrots and potatoes) and pinoy style spaghetti now.. I hope I can cook my favorite kare-kare someday thanks to youtube!
    You should try this chicken version of Pata Tim (guess you'd call it Manok Tim?!):

I loved it!

Ps. That's a piece of Cassava cake I made to the top right of the 2nd pic!
    Last edited by South-east boy; 27th January 2012 at 15:37. Reason: Quoted wrong post! Lol!

so who is up for showing the rest of the country how easy it is to bring your loved one to these shores legally?
    I could show them how to bring people to these shores ILLEGALLY But it might be a bumpy ride and they would have to splash the cash
    there won't be many takers
    Someone will do it,this is the age of the reality TV "Star" andy warhol 15 minutes of fame and that jazz,some domineering pinay will order her meek mild timothy type husband to apply so she can be on TV

Trusted Member
    Well, let's just hope they manage to skirt around the usual stereotyping of 'mail order brides' etc.

Having known people who have appeared on such 'warm' documentaries, I can't say I would want to have my 15 minutes of fame in that way.

The editing can portray a very different programme than the one you thought you were taking part in.

Now if they were proposing to take up valuable airtime with a programme about the rip-off visa fees and ridiculous hoops that prospective bride and groom have to jump through in order to enter the country in the first place...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post

The editing can portray a very different programme than the one you thought you were taking part in.
    That's what I thought too.

Banned
    Well they wont be looking at us as a couple as I don't quite slip into the age category.

On the cooking slant, my wife is learning fast. She made a cracking banana cake just a few days ago! Pinoy recipe.

Banned
    Looks delicious.

I keep asking my wife to make Graham Cake (mango float) but she says the mangos here are not the right type. Any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    Looks delicious.

I keep asking my wife to make Graham Cake (mango float) but she says the mangos here are not the right type. Any advice?
    you can ask her to try that with peaches instead
    -=rayna.keith=-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information