Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anglo-Filipino Couples: UK Channel 4 documentary series

Banned
    Is that tinned peaches, Rayna?

I really like Graham Cake with mangos. Couldn't stand Halo Halo - sweetcorn in a dessert......

Respected Member South-east boy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    Looks delicious.

I keep asking my wife to make Graham Cake (mango float) but she says the mangos here are not the right type. Any advice?
    She might mean she needs honey mangoes? They are the yellow ones and most supermarkets etc, only do the green & red ones. Quite often Indian/Asian shops will sell the honey ones.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by South-east boy View Post
    She might mean she needs honey mangoes? They are the yellow ones and most supermarkets etc, only do the green & red ones. Quite often Indian/Asian shops will sell the honey ones.
    Ah. I see. I know there is a million varieties of mangos in the Philippines.....yes, its the green and red ones she says aren't the right type. We know where to get Graham Crackers though, so halfway there.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Is that tinned peaches, Rayna?

I really like Graham Cake with mangos. Couldn't stand Halo Halo - sweetcorn in a dessert......
    yep..that's what I always use with the graham cakes..by the way, where do you get graham crackers? I only saw them in the Chinese warehouse but last time I've only seen the flavored ones and not the plain ones..do any of you know a good substitution for Graham crackers for the cakes?
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Banned
    I know this will be of no help to you as we are on an island tucked away near the north east coast of northern ireland. But we have a shop on the island (ironically called Robinson's) that sells a limited range of pinoy foods along with some other asian foods. (It sells jars of ready made Halo Halo, just add the ice cream hehe)

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    I know this will be of no help to you as we are on an island tucked away near the north east coast of northern ireland. But we have a shop on the island (ironically called Robinson's) that sells a limited range of pinoy foods along with some other asian foods. (It sells jars of ready made Halo Halo, just add the ice cream hehe)
    yeah, the Chinese warehouse we always go to in Liverpool also sells those stuffs..I've read that Graham crackers are equivalent to digestive biscuits here in the UK..i'll just have a look on what available and if they have square ones coz all I see in the internet are round biscuits!
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

hmm I love cooking ..in fact kitchen is my most favorite part of the house,..the only good thing here in UK is that they have alternatives for filipino/asian ingredients(lots of fresh herb and spices to choose from)... the food may not actually look the same but you can make it awfully delicious !!
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    ..the only good thing here in UK is that they have alternatives for filipino/asian ingredients(lots of fresh herb and spices to choose from)... the food may not actually look the same but you can make it awfully delicious !!
    Yes, you are so correct. British food can be so good if prepared well.

Banned
    I love the way these threads go off at a tangent - starts off with production co looking for Anglo - Phil couples................ within a post or two we're into food & cooking.

Here's my pic of traditional British grub

It looks good I might even treat us to some tonight

Respected Member South-east boy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    I love the way these threads go off at a tangent - starts off with production co looking for Anglo - Phil couples................ within a post or two we're into food & cooking.

Making me hungry! But back to the original title, like said before, I hope they keep the stories like they were told to them, rather than editing them to suit their own angle as we know the press can do. If good intentions and they keep true, I look forward to watching this!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by South-east boy View Post
    Making me hungry! But back to the original title, like said before, I hope they keep the stories like they were told to them, rather than editing them to suit their own angle as we know the press can do. If good intentions and they keep true, I look forward to watching this!
    I hope when we watch the prog there are scenes of devout Catholic Filipinas chomping into fish & chips on Fridays

Yummy, I so love Fish and chips with ketchup and mayonnaise

[QUOTE=Dedworth;335758]

Looks like a nice bit of fish that

I just love my home-made chips

I dont fancy fish and chips
    ..I only like my fish to be grilled or poached
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Trusted Member
    " The series hopes to offer genuine insight into modern relationships between young, British men and young, Filipino women who have found love and are about to come to the UK for first time. "
    It doesn't apply to me, so all I can do is give a positive message of support for any members thinking of taking part .

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post

love it with mushy peas and vinegar..yumyum!!!

Anyone up for it then?

Anyone up for it then?
    I wonder if theres a financial inducement?No ones going to volunteer to do it for nowt....are they? Pay for the visa's,flights and all associated costs maybe?

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    I wonder if theres a financial inducement?No ones going to volunteer to do it for nowt....are they? Pay for the visa's,flights and all associated costs maybe?
    I expect they'll cry they've got no budget? I had 'Countryfile' ring me a while back, wanting to hire something...they said they were very poor?? they didn't ring back.

I'll look forward to the programme.

Trusted Member
    Suppose I could always lie about my age.

Yes, please

Hi Rosie,

I am interested in knowing more about this.

I think a lot of people would benefit from a bit of documentary education. My husband and I are not that young, I'm turning 34 while my husband's turning 44. But it doesn't help that I could pass for a 25 year old here in the UK. Asian genes = petite features.

In the Philippines, compatriots whom we would meet on our travels would comment on how lucky I am to find such a gorgeous WHITE guy. In China, a middle aged woman dropped her jaw when she saw me walking hand in hand with my husband, and circled around us with her mouth wide open (eyeing me from head to toe, as if I were an ape at a zoo.) Also in China someone once asked my husband's secretary, "why is he with a Filipino? Does she come from a family of maids?" In Macao and Australia, without mal-intent, some Filipino men would comment "he married you because you're a pretty girl." While some Filipino workers in Hong Kong would typically ask how I "cope with having to eat and cook Western food." The ignorance and stereotyping doesn't just come from the Western end. Even we, Asians, do it with each other.

Why couldn't people say that possibly, my husband married me because I'm a good person, and maybe I'm a clever girl in my own way? Or, could it also be possible that even if I am Filipino, I have enough "sophistication" to enjoy wine, cheese, Italian, Greek, Spanish, and French food PRIOR to meeting my husband? I've read more English literature than my husband ever has. Maybe we have some things in common! But of course, no one ever thinks of that first because I'm a Filipino.

These are small things which people have to realize about mixed marriages of Filipinos and western men, or Asian women and western men. For sure, there will still be a chunk of the stereotypical relationships that are poverty driven - Russian and Brazilian women are stereotyped as well. But if your documentary can succeed in showing that times are changing, and love does blossom in strange places, then there might be a chance that couples like us can walk hand in hand, and not receive any stares from passers by. After all, isn't it considered rude to stare here in England?

Cheers,
    Eia

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Eia View Post
    Hi Rosie,

I think a lot of people would benefit from a bit of documentary education. My husband and I are not that young, I'm turning 34 while my husband's turning 44. But it doesn't help that I could pass for a 25 year old here in the UK. Asian genes = petite features.

In the Philippines, compatriots whom we would meet on our travels would comment on how lucky I am to find such a gorgeous WHITE guy. In China, a middle aged woman dropped her jaw when she saw me walking hand in hand with my husband, and circled around us with her mouth wide open (eyeing me from head to toe, as if I were an ape at a zoo.) Also in China someone once asked my husband's secretary, "why is he with a Filipino? Does she come from a family of maids?" In Macao and Australia, without mal-intent, some Filipino men would comment "he married you because you're a pretty girl." While some Filipino workers in Hong Kong would typically ask how I "cope with having to eat and cook Western food." The ignorance and stereotyping doesn't just come from the Western end. Even we, Asians, do it with each other.

Why couldn't people say that possibly, my husband married me because I'm a good person, and maybe I'm a clever girl in my own way? Or, could it also be possible that even if I am Filipino, I have enough "sophistication" to enjoy wine, cheese, Italian, Greek, Spanish, and French food PRIOR to meeting my husband? I've read more English literature than my husband ever has. Maybe we have some things in common! But of course, no one ever thinks of that first because I'm a Filipino.

These are small things which people have to realize about mixed marriages of Filipinos and western men, or Asian women and western men. For sure, there will still be a chunk of the stereotypical relationships that are poverty driven - Russian and Brazilian women are stereotyped as well. But if your documentary can succeed in showing that times are changing, and love does blossom in strange places, then there might be a chance that couples like us can walk hand in hand, and not receive any stares from passers by. After all, isn't it considered rude to stare here in England?

Cheers,
    Eia
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    Me too I was wondering that!

Eia - yes very well said - I have been on the end of some of these attitudes - was warned against being with a Filipina and given ultimatums by friends (so called) and colleagues but I dont listen to anyone else usually that get involved in my private life - I'm a free agent and I make up my mind.

I too would be interested - but fear I am too old and not sterotypical enough!

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eia View Post
    Hi Rosie,

I think a lot of people would benefit from a bit of documentary education.
    I fully support you Eia
    At my age it's inappropriate to offer advice - I can't change my age, but I can avoid ever being labelled a grumpy or cynical old man .

Yes go for it Eia, I'll watch you on the programme.
    You're in Bristol as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information