Thread: Need advice re: bank statements

Need advice re: bank statements

We are about to lodge my spouse visa application next week but there are still some conflict I found with my husband's bank statements. We were supposed to lodge visa app before the end of January but he had to chase his bank statements which took 2 weeks to arrive. We are going to submit his last 6 months bank statements. The last one dated December 2011. It shows healthy balance from July - November 2011 but the last statement (December) shows only 300 pounds. Basically, we used up the money for our wedding and trip cost in October 2011 that's why it was down to 300. My husband explained on covering letter why the balance on December statement was lower than the previous ones. I told him since we are lodging visa application this February, we will then need to include January statements but he said It would take another 2 weeks to arrive and he's afraid the balance would be even lower because he sent most of the balance for visa fee and other expenses. I am worried the ECO might ask for current statement(January). I have some savings in our joint account here in the Philippines so I'm hoping It will help with my visa application. We are also submitting his last 6 months payslip (July-December 2011), He said its better to submit documents that end at the same time so It will look consistent. My concern is what if the ECO ask for current ones? I have booked VFS appointment for next week and just finalizing my documents now. But I'm worried with my husband's bank statements. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Juvy

I had a similar issue - bank statements not arriving when I was doing Rina's FLR but I put in what I had at the time of the application.
    I also had an O/D situation but after buying a house and getting married most of us would be suffering cashflow crisis. I didnt even put a letter into the FLR application pack - just sent it off with a complete set of docs (although like you my last bank statement finished mid month).
    As this is your first application it's good you put a covering letter explaining these points and I think you "should be ok" however I am not the ECO!

I think as long as a healthy income is shown and you have submitted the docs that favour the application you should be ok - the fact that savings can now be created now you have a big expense out of the way should be ok with the ECO.

Sorry I cant offer more concrete help!

Tone

Quote Originally Posted by juvyjones28 View Post
    We are about to lodge my spouse visa application next week but there are still some conflict I found with my husband's bank statements. We were supposed to lodge visa app before the end of January but he had to chase his bank statements which took 2 weeks to arrive. We are going to submit his last 6 months bank statements. The last one dated December 2011. It shows healthy balance from July - November 2011 (1,800-2,500 pounds) but the last statement (December) shows only 300 pounds. Basically, we used up the money for our wedding and trip cost in October 2011 that's why it was down to 300. My husband explained on covering letter why the balance on December statement was lower than the previous ones. I told him since we are lodging visa application this February, we will then need to include January statements but he said It would take another 2 weeks to arrive and he's afraid the balance would be even lower because he sent most of the balance for visa fee and other expenses. I am worried the ECO might ask for current statement(January). I have some savings (around 700 pounds) in our joint account here in the Philippines so I'm hoping It will help with my visa application. We are also submitting his last 6 months payslip (July-December 2011), He said its better to submit documents that end at the same time so It will look consistent. My concern is what if the ECO ask for current ones? I have booked VFS appointment for next week and just finalizing my documents now. But I'm worried with my husband's bank statements. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Juvy
    Juvy, don't take any risk with your Spouse Visa application.
    The ECO will be expecting to see the last 3 months bank statements as a bare minimum.
    So you proposed 6 months is ideal. As long as there is no OD should be OK.
    Your idea for 6 months payslips is also spot on.
    Now, usually UKBA expect all documents, including bank statements not to be older than one month.
    My suggestion is minimise all risks. UKBA will accept print-out of bank statements provided the page is stamped with the official bank stamp. Maybe he could just try to visit the bank and get that done?

Thanks Tone and Terpe for the advice. The trouble is his january statement is even lower in balance because he had to send me the 800 pounds for visa fee . I am trying to minimize all risks to get our application turned down. I guess I should wait for him to send me January statements and payslip before lodging my visa app.

Quote Originally Posted by juvyjones28 View Post
    Thanks Tone and Terpe for the advice. The trouble is his january statement is even lower in balance he said around $150 because he had to send me the 800 pounds for visa fee . I am trying to minimize all risks to get our application turned down. I guess I should wait for him to send me January statements and payslip before lodging my visa app.
    I would wait so you can submit January.
    Is it not possible he can 'walk in' the bank and get a print out that can then be officially stamped??
    Or even send you electronic copy? as long the bank states it's official and accurate it's OK.
    Please don't try any short cuts. Make sure that the ECO cannot find any reason to refuse.
    You can do it Juvy

Terpe
    I was able to send all my statements via email scanned and not certified (July 2011) - but I understand your point of view that you have to stack all the odds in the applicants favour because who knows what stats they are running by!
    I also sent 6 months of everything to show a good level of income (including last P60) but all were copies not originals.

I dont know for fact - but surely the Fiance route is harder to prove than a spouse as they are already married?

I am just thinking aloud here but bow to your expert knowledge mate because you have been helping many peeps for a long time

Cheers
    Tone

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    I would wait so you can submit January.
    Is it not possible he can 'walk in' the bank and get a print out that can then be officially stamped??
    Or even send you electronic copy? as long the bank states it's official and accurate it's OK.
    Please don't try any short cuts. Make sure that the ECO cannot find any reason to refuse.
    You can do it Juvy
    He just ordered his Jan statement now and he said it will take a week perhaps less. He is going to post me original documents including bank statements but I told him scanned copies should be alright. Apparently he only have few hundred pounds left in his account but I have few hundred pounds in my savings account too so I hope the ECO will consider it. Thanks a lot Terpe.

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    Terpe
    I was able to send all my statements via email scanned and not certified (July 2011) - but I understand your point of view that you have to stack all the odds in the applicants favour because who knows what stats they are running by!
    I also sent 6 months of everything to show a good level of income (including last P60) but all were copies not originals.

I dont know for fact - but surely the Fiance route is harder to prove than a spouse as they are already married?

I am just thinking aloud here but bow to your expert knowledge mate because you have been helping many peeps for a long time

Cheers
    Tone
    Tone, thanks for your kind words, but i'm no expert. I've been out of the loop for a long time now, although I try to keep in the loop with some who remain in the 'business'. I'm also fortunate enough to have time to research. That was my major task when I was in that 'business'.

Electronic images are OK these days. Here is what UKBA now say about that:-
    "Bank statements you send must be on official bank stationery, and must show each of the payments that you are claiming. If you wish to send electronic bank statements from an online account you should also send a supporting letter from the bank on company headed paper confirming that the documents are authentic. Alternatively, electronic bank statements with the official stamp of the bank that issued the statements will be accepted. The stamp must appear on every page of the statement."

Any application for settlement visa is all about minimisation of risk, whatever that takes. Short cuts and half measures just don't do it first time these days.

Tone, technically both spouse and fiance(e) are pretty much the same, and both require almost the same supporting documented evidence, especially concerning maintenance and accomodation.
    Of course the ECO is looking to feel comforted that the relationship is genuine. Not all ECO's are only 'box-tickers'. Applicants need to both comply technically with Immigration Rules and also convince the ECO with their love story. (that's what I believe anyway, and that's also what I'm still told).
    In itself marriage is not proof of genuine relationship. Plenty of people try to use marriage as the route to a visa, and the UKBA are very well aware of that.

On a positive note, all applicants can take strength from knowing that most applicants actually do get their settlement visa approved first time (regardless of which of the 2 visa's are applied for. )

Cheers for the clarification mate, as always you take time and explain things so well!

For the FLR we used original statements/payslips etc - purely because I was applying here in the UK with direct touch with the UKBA.

Tone

Thread Information