Thread: Dentist charge me twice!

Dentist charge me twice!

Hi there! I have a bit of a problem with my Dentist now. To make the story short. I went to her appointment and pay 20 pounds and she said she needs to replace my silver fillings ( There was nothing wrong with it, I think she just want to replace it). Then, I went the next day to get it replaced and paid 40 pounds. Then, after she replaced it, it becomes so sensitive and hurts my tooth. So I called her and mentioned it. She said, I need to get another appointment, which I did! I booked the three of us Me, my husband and daughter ( Since my daughter and hubby are due for appointment). I was puzzled.. as she didn't do anything and charge me another 20 pounds for appointment. Then she ask me to get a seperate appointment again! Grrr.... which I did. Then, I asked the Receptionist if I need to pay for it as it is just replacement. She said no.. Now, I recieved a letter saying I'm due for 40 pounds! So it means, to get it replaced I paid almost 100 pounds just for 1 tooth! Which I think it's ridiculous! I need some advice.. Not a happy bunny!

Trusted Member
    My advice to anyone....NEVER allow these rip-off people to replace fillings which are giving you no problems.

A similar-sounding dentist ruined several of my teeth a few years ago after having carried out such unnecessary work.

Having fillings replaced just weakens the tooth and shortens its life. I'm not a dentist, but I do have a brain and a good understanding of human biology.

Don't pay the extra money, put in writing to her why you're not paying, and complain to your local health authority.

That's what I'd do anyway.

Banned
    Did you go as a private or NHS patient ?

If NHS read here

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthc...ntalcosts.aspx

i had several teeth ruined too by a dentist insisting i needed new fillings and to cap 2 teeth, he was new just out of training, he had replaced my usual dentist who had retired, i ended up with sore gums and loose teeth, it did get better but damage was done,
    my advise is to always try to get a dentist a friend or relative can recomend

Trusted Member
    I am also not a dentist, and it's impossible to make judgements based on what you have told us. Dentists are highly trained professionals who know far more than I do. They must reach, and keep, high standards. If you're not happy, there are ways to raise concerns.
    1. All dental practices have their own query or complaints procedures. Speak to them first.
    2. There is an NHS complaints procedure.
    3. Similarly there is a Dental Complaints Service for private treatment.
    The General Dental Council can take action whenever a dental professional's ability, behaviour or health means it's not suitable for them to continue working. The GDC looks carefully at every allegation they receive. Hopefully in your case, the problem can be resolved by ( 1. ).
    This link should help :- http://www.gdc-uk.org/Membersofpubli...s/default.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    Did you go as a private or NHS patient ?

If NHS read here

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthc...ntalcosts.aspx
    We are using private one..

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    My advice to anyone....NEVER allow these rip-off people to replace fillings which are giving you no problems.

A similar-sounding dentist ruined several of my teeth a few years ago after having carried out such unnecessary work.

Having fillings replaced just weakens the tooth and shortens its life. I'm not a dentist, but I do have a brain and a good understanding of human biology.

Don't pay the extra money, put in writing to her why you're not paying, and complain to your local health authority.

That's what I'd do anyway.
    Well, I am actually going tomorrow and Speak to her in person. I actually, want to move to other dentist now. I already pop in to other private dental clinic and they said it is easy to move I just need to inform them. So that will be my options. At least they have placement available, which is great.

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    i had several teeth ruined too by a dentist insisting i needed new fillings and to cap 2 teeth, he was new just out of training, he had replaced my usual dentist who had retired, i ended up with sore gums and loose teeth, it did get better but damage was done,
    my advise is to always try to get a dentist a friend or relative can recomend
    I actually realize I have a dentist neighbor who live next to me. I am thinking changing my dentist now. Hopefully it will not difficult to cancel it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    I am also not a dentist, and it's impossible to make judgements based on what you have told us. Dentists are highly trained professionals who know far more than I do. They must reach, and keep, high standards. If you're not happy, there are ways to raise concerns.
    1. All dental practices have their own query or complaints procedures. Speak to them first.
    2. There is an NHS complaints procedure.
    3. Similarly there is a Dental Complaints Service for private treatment.
    The General Dental Council can take action whenever a dental professional's ability, behaviour or health means it's not suitable for them to continue working. The GDC looks carefully at every allegation they receive. Hopefully in your case, the problem can be resolved by ( 1. ).
    This link should help :- http://www.gdc-uk.org/Membersofpubli...s/default.aspx
    Thanks Doc Alan! I will speak to her tomorrow in person and see if we can resolve the issue. If not, i will probably file complaints.

Hmm ... perhaps this post [of mine] might be considered ever so slightly ... BUT - coincidentally, as it happens - yesterday evening, I finally closed Nigel's lo~ong-running poll on the Queen's "eating habits". Now, though, we have a *thread that **members can [literally!] "get their teeth into". My advice to **them: and digest the contents of *yours, Melissa. Dental treatment (irrespective of whether it's carried out privately or on the NHS) affects EVERYONE!

Can anyone know if I can apply by NHS dental? No idea about it I spoke to some of my friends and they are using NHS. Which the fee are not sky high!

Trusted Member
    These links may help :-
    www.bda-findadentist.org.uk
    http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/He...istry/dentists . While most NHS dental treatment is not free at the point of delivery, there is a standard range of fees which is less than the private equivalent.
    The problem is finding an NHS dentist able to accept you on their list.
    As Arthur says ( #10 ) good dental health should concern everyone. It's cheaper and less painful to have regular checkups ( opinion varies on this, but at least once a year ). Expect to pay at least £ 40 for a private dental check up. You then know what your state of dental health is, and whether it's worth enrolling in an annual scheme. Even for those with no natural teeth, dentures need replacing every few years ( jaws change shape, dentures wear out - expect them to last at least 5 years ). ( http://www.scotsman.com/news/health/...ammed_1_794223 ) . Things are improving - see also :-
    http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Rele...11/12/22122347 . Of course there may be " dodgy dentists " ( I can't make judgements on individual cases ) - at least there is a system for responding to complaints. Employing authorities should ensure that all dentists ( EU and overseas ) have language skills needed for good communication. Language checks are not explicitly imposed by EU law, neither are they outlawed.

Sorry to hear about the issues with your dentist Scottish bride.

I receive private dental treatment and before I have anything done, I always ask for a quote for any proposed treatment so that I don’t receive any surprises and would recommend that anyone receiving private treatment does the same. I also have a Denplan which is a maintenance plan where a monthly fee is paid which covers the cost of two dental examinations, two dental hygiene visits and dental x-rays per year. Through the plan I then also receive a 20% discount on the cost of any fillings, crowns, root treatments etc. Other different types of plans are available to suit individual circumstances.

http://www.denplan.co.uk/dentists/me...ssentials.aspx

Most good dental surgeries will have similar dental maintenance plans available, just ask the Receptionist or search the internet. It's a worthwhile alternative if treatment under the NHS is not available and one is looking to reduce the cost of private treatment.

Banned
    I'm a 15 year Denplan man, rolled in today 15 hour notice for a not as it turned out emergency issue. I think with the monthly drip, drip payments I'm better off than the escalating ongoing NHS treatments/payments I was getting. 2 years ago had some root canal work done as part of the deal. Might help that I was one of the original first customers when my man and his wife set up on their own 20 years ago. I view it as a necessary expense

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    I think with the monthly drip, drip payments I'm better off than the escalating ongoing NHS treatments/payments I was getting...
    Most of us have no choice but to go for private dental care, and many like you and Rosie do find it makes sense to join a scheme like Denplan. I prefer " pay as you go ", and also don't have private medical insurance ( leisure club membership is a proxy ).
    As with health in general, it's partly luck and partly lifestyle how much treatment each individual will need. Agree that it's a necessary expense. This can be minimised by good dental hygiene - brushing teeth three times a day ( electric toothbrushes are approved by dentists ), using antiseptic mouthwash, cutting down on sugary snacks / " merienda ", and regular check ups ( at least once a year ).

Quote Originally Posted by scottishbride View Post
    Well, I am actually going tomorrow and Speak to her in person.
    Yes, complain about it
    I had prophylaxis done late last year and it cost me nearly £40 I felt that my mouth and teeth hasnt been cleaned properly and more so,he suggested for a tooth filling but I didnt come back for another appointment, I will just have to wait for my next visit to my philippin dentist as the cost of every treatment here will give me more toothache and headache(if u know what i mean?)
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Trusted Member
    My experience of dental treatment in the Phils has been very good.

I have no intention of ever visiting a British dentist again unless in need of major emergency treatment.

So far I've managed to keep a full set, except for a post crown (put in by the rubbish dentist here) that came out.

Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    Yes, complain about it
    , Mari. Where's the point in "payin' for MORE *pain" when the whole purpose of visiting a dentist is to relieve *it and/or prevent its recurrence.

Just an update! I finally got a response from my dentist, after chasing her and leaving a message on her answering machine. She left a message to my answering machine today saying she already sort it out and just ignore the letter that she sent me. Too late! I already terminate my service to her and registered to other dentist as NHS patient and met my new Dentist, she seems nice but we will see. It's hard to tell. Thanks for all the members and moderators who has given advices!

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    My experience of dental treatment in the Phils has been very good.

I have no intention of ever visiting a British dentist again unless in need of major emergency treatment.

So far I've managed to keep a full set, except for a post crown (put in by the rubbish dentist here) that came out.
    Agree! I miss my dentist in the Philippines. She is much better than my dentist here.

Thread Information