Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Falklands debate

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Falklands debate

Prince harry's posting to the falklands is causing some upset in Argentina

Whats your views on this guys should we hand it back?

Is it about the oil that is supposedly in abundance around the falklands

AN HAPPY WIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE

Trusted Member
    Yes it's about oil, but it's also about the 2000 or so BRITISH born and bred Falklanders who have no wish to be annexed against their will by a second-rate bunch of South American losers.

off Argies, it's OURS !

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Yes it's about oil, but it's also about the 2000 or so BRITISH born and bred Falklanders who have no wish to be annexed against their will by a second-rate bunch of South American losers.

off Argies, it's OURS !

HMS Stick will soon be lurking in the River Plate with its Tomahawks targetted on the Presidential Palace.

This is all about a failing President trying to improve her popularity.

PS Steve it's Prince William thats over there, Harry is hoping to be hosing down the Taliban shortly

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post

HMS Stick will soon be lurking in the River Plate with its Tomahawks targetted on the Presidential Palace.

This is all about a failing President trying to improve her popularity.

PS Steve it's Prince William thats over there, Harry is hoping to be hosing down the Taliban shortly
    Thanks ded yes your correct it is prince william

I dont know what made me say harry

Banned
    Dear Graham: I'm from argentina and let me enlighten you a little about the former and current political
    situation regarding the MALVINAS islands. those 2000 british citizens you speak about were ILEGALLY put there to have a political excuse at the UN. I trust you already know that geopolitically/geographically
    the islands belong to Argentina, so i will not expand on this issue. I also trust you already know that the
    "falklands" are being ILEGALLY occupied by the UK. it's just laughable hoy Mr. James Cameron states that Argentina is a "colonialist" country. it is fu**ing hilarious, since the UK are Historically the number 1 pirate colonialist land-robbing empire. (Do you have a proper education, i wonder?). I only know that sooner or later, the Malvinas islands WILL return to Argentina, since Justice and truthfulness is on our side, as acknowledged by 80% of the planet. I resent you comment calling us south americans "a second-rate bunch of South American losers". Let me state that i do not hold a grudge towards the brits, since i have many dear friends in there, which are wonderful people, and also educated (not like you, thankfully). You are being manipulated by your media and government. You can make all the excuses you want, but these excuses will not mean any of them are valid, since the "falklands" are rightfully argentinian and you are ILEGALLY(please read some history if you disagree) occuping them.Oh, and also, IN MY BOOK, the losers are the thieves, criminals, lobbysts and public-opinion manipulators you seem to support. LEt me finish by saying that as your OWN media (BBC for example) state, around 70% of UK citizens dont EVEN KNOW what the falklands are or dont even know the first thing abut the 1982 conflict, as opposed to the almost 40 million argentinians that are very sensitive about this issue and very aware of the situation. You should be ashamed.OH and please note, we are not alone, we have all south america supporting us. Time will tell if JUSTICE shall be done.

I think you will find that the FALKLAND ISLANDS belong to the United Kindom

What claim you had, you deserted many many years ago.

If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Ok since the Falkland war in the UK post on the Island is very heavily defended... There's no way the argies can take these Islands now. The decision to stay under the British Flag is the Islanders choice. As such we will defend them. It's no accident a Neuclear sub has just risen!!! They will make lots of noise but lets face it their no match for our boys!!! Rule Britannia !!!!

its a double sided coin, the island realy belongs to argentina and should be given back,

on the other hand we need to protect our own people,

we increased the population after the faulkland war, dont need to say why,

we sank one of their ships in its retreat, like shooting a man in his back, wheres the british honour in that, right or wrong is debatable in my opinion, the british could have been brought back home to uk, but we are oil greedy just like the war dog america

Trusted Member
    ....and Argentina belongs to the Native Indians ?

....and Argentina belongs to the Native Indians ?
    and so does america

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    and so does america
    ....and Australia, New Zealand.

mmm thats a thought ,,, if everyone went back to the origin of their roots, it might tip the earth off its axis due to a wobble caused by uneven mass

Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people living life in peace

Respected Member
    maybe some people on here are concerned about the desires, irrespective of how lidicrous they may be,, of the few people who live on the islands, but no one in authority is,, all that matters is the oil reserves there and the wealth therin
    and what happened to the Nuclear Proliferation Agreements,,,,,, britain introduces the scourge of nuclear weapons to yet another fronteir

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nnomad View Post
    maybe some people on here are concerned about the desires, irrespective of how lidicrous they may be,, of the few people who live on the islands, but no one in authority is,, all that matters is the oil reserves there and the wealth therin
    and what happened to the Nuclear Proliferation Agreements,,,,,, britain introduces the scourge of nuclear weapons to yet another fronteir
    It's a nuclear powered sub armed with conventional weapons

omg, westerners belong in the oceon

Not sure at the moment, east midlands, rice farm or manila
    After I qualified I did a 4 and half month trip down the Falklands with the RFA. I fully support any action that protects the residents of the falklands, as has been mentioned they continually consider themselves british, and so its our duty to protect our residents is it not? There was always suspisions of oil / gas down there but at the time of the war we lacked the technolgy to confirm or exploit the minerals. At the time of the war I'm of the mind that if Argentina got control of the islands then they'd be able to asert control on shipping through their reigon. I'm not sure if they where aware or not of the possibility of oil / gas there

As of now are are 3 companies drilling for oil / gas down there using one semi sub rig and there has not been any confirmed strikes. 2 of the three companies are now struggling for money to continue exploration.

As regards to a sub being down there you'll probably find there has always been a presence there or nearby. When I was there the RN had one frigate and us, a 25 year old tanker that had seen better days. Infact I saw her many years later in the Olongapo. I couldn't believe she had made it across let alone was still afloat!!! For information if anyone interested it was the Grey Rover
    Last edited by subseastu; 11th February 2012 at 12:01. Reason: Missed something out
    It's been emontional

Respected Member
    Stu, was warships there last time I was in the Falklands about 4 years back.
    Have been to Stanley quite a few times, the place is a bit of a hole to be honest, a few manky pubs and a fish n chip shop.

However the reality is, many countries have overseas territories, and are they all going to give them back? Why does Argentina want the islands when they are full of Brits? What on earth are they going to do with the islands if they don't find oil?
    The reality is that Argentina is going through a depression as they rest of the countries are, and a bit of war mongering overseas does good to keep the citizens happy, definately wins votes.

How about Ceuta, Melilla, Gibraltar, French Guiana, Reunion, Mayotte?

Quote Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
    Have been to Stanley quite a few times, the place is a bit of a hole to be honest, a few manky pubs and a fish n chip shop.

However the reality is, many countries have overseas territories, and are they all going to give them back? Why does Argentina want the islands when they are full of Brits? What on earth are they going to do with the islands if they don't find oil?
    The reality is that Argentina is going through a depression as they rest of the countries are, and a bit of war mongering overseas does good to keep the citizens happy, definately wins votes.

and when some soviet states pull out the Union, Baltic's states are free, some Arabic states ditch their dictators, Argentina want the Falklands, China got HK they want Taiwan and are sniffing around Philippines waters.
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Not sure at the moment, east midlands, rice farm or manila
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyR View Post

Ricky, sorry mate are you saying there wasn't a warship last time you went to the Falklands? They used to berth up with us in Chousel (don't think thats spelt right but it was a long time ago for me) sound, Mare Harbour. You're right about Stanley though, I found it quite a surreal place to be honest. Very strange walking into a pub to find its someones front room where they've built a small bar with a fridge and you have a seat on their old 3 peice suite whilst drinking a can they bascally brought from the Spar!

Good point about the warmongering bit as well though it does beg the question why they have been banging on about the islands for so so long now though? I believe the possible presence of oil is a relatively new development so it can't be that, can it?

To be honest I hope they find oil as I've invested in one of the companies down there, not oneof my best moves to be honest with the way things are going!!
    It's been emontional

things seemed more stable during the cold war

subseastu ,, I believe the possible presence of oil is a relatively new development so it can't be that, can it?

i remember talk of oil back then

Trusted Member
    Oy...what are you doing talking sensible on your birthday ?

Oy...what are you doing talking sensible on your birthday ?

actualy i thought i was talking ST

im out soon birthday supper

chicken and yorkshire pud at my daughters

Trusted Member
    Good man.

Behave yourself.

Banned
    There is indeed oil there:

http://www.rigzone.com/news/article.asp?a_id=114761

"Any success by the firm would likely be significant since no oil has yet been found in the South Falklands Basin, unlike in the zone north of the Falkland Islands where fellow UK firm Rockhopper Exploration made an oil discovery on its Sea Lion target in 2010".

Above is a quick, current, article on the state of play in the Falklands. A new well is being started on a new potential prospect but oil has already been found in a zone north of the Falkland Isles......

http://www.rockhopperexploration.co.uk/

"In February 2010, the Ocean Guardian drilling rig arrived in Falklands waters to carry out a multi-well drilling campaign. Rockhopper drilled an exploration well on its Sea Lion prospect during April and May 2010, the result of which is the first oil discovery and Contingent Oil Resource in the North Falkland Basin".

"With the well on the Sea Lion prospect successfully flow tested during September 2010, the company is fully funded to undertake an extensive exploration and appraisal programme across all of its acreage during 2011".

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    "In February 2010, the Ocean Guardian drilling rig arrived in Falklands waters to carry out a multi-well drilling campaign. Rockhopper drilled an exploration well on its Sea Lion prospect during April and May 2010, the result of which is the first oil discovery and Contingent Oil Resource in the North Falkland Basin".

"With the well on the Sea Lion prospect successfully flow tested during September 2010, the company is fully funded to undertake an extensive exploration and appraisal programme across all of its acreage during 2011".
    A fella I know made £30k selling Rockhopper shares at the right time

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    A fella I know made £30k selling Rockhopper shares at the right time
    Great name, Rockhopper! (Best said with a Texan accent)

Obviously the Rockhopper price is tied somewhat to the price of a barrel of oil and the minnows usually are affected moreso but the overall trend is up and looking at the well history they are finding the stuff okay.

Daily Telegraph on Rockhopper's reserves...

"Seven to eight companies were interested in partnering with Rockhopper to develop its Sea Lion field, executives from the company told a Morgan Stanley conference last week, according to the bank.
    Rockhopper is estimated to have recoverable reserves of up to 500m barrels of oil in the field.
    Exploration around the Falkland Islands has caused controversy with Argentina, which claims sovereignty of the islands." Etc etc

A very interesting report

Tanks for the posting lastlid

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie c View Post
    A very interesting report

Tanks for the posting lastlid

Thats okay. One hears lots of rumours and counter rumours but that info source is very reliable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information