Thread: When the numbers no longer add up....

Respected Member

When the numbers no longer add up....

I know a couple of women who work in the care sector. Their hours have been cut because of their employer is experiencing a few problems at the moment. They have no access to benefits of course because they have been here less than 5 years. The exchange rate is down to 69 to the £.....
    What on earth do you do when the numbers simply no longer add up? Hopefully you lean on your friends but there must be people out there who's only friends are other Philipinos who are equally strapped for cash.
    Sadly, today I don't have answers - only questions.

Quote Originally Posted by John.C View Post
    I know a couple of women who work in the care sector. Their hours have been cut because of their employer is experiencing a few problems at the moment. They have no access to benefits of course because they have been here less than 5 years. The exchange rate is down to 69 to the £.....
    What on earth do you do when the numbers simply no longer add up? Hopefully you lean on your friends but there must be people out there who's only friends are other Philipinos who are equally strapped for cash.
    Sadly, today I don't have answers - only questions.
    What Visa's do they have?

We have been looking to buy land in the philippines for our retirement,
    and we have noticed recently there have been a lot of adds for land reduced in price for a quick sale, also resale lots,
    but alas as mentioned the exchange rate does not fot the pocket at the moment,

land prices are falling for this very reason, ofw's are strugling to survive and to support there family as well and it has a knock on effect.

from the 5yrs, it sounds like workpermits, what else can they do but spend less, send less back to the phils, look for a part time job, if they have kids, might be better if one works nights and one in the day time, so no needs for child care. I really pitty those on work permits having to pay taxes for 5 long years before you can get anything back
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    from the 5yrs, it sounds like workpermits, what else can they do but spend less, send less back to the phils, look for a part time job, if they have kids, might be better if one works nights and one in the day time, so no needs for child care. I really pitty those on work permits having to pay taxes for 5 long years before you can get anything back
    I Just wondered if this page called Can you do other work (supplementary and secondary employment) in addition to your main job? might be useful?

What do you think joe?

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    I Just wondered if this page called Can you do other work (supplementary and secondary employment) in addition to your main job? might be useful?

What do you think joe?
    terpe

but the dependent might not have any restrictions on their employment if they've been here b4 the changes.
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    Yes. I don't know the exact term (visa or work permit). They are both here alone (and family at home). One of these women is a close friend, she can apply for ILR in August 2013. I am just having a moan about life being unfair! Imagine what people would say to me on the Digital Spy forums if I said that non-EU immigrants are having a hard time and need some help!
    Even when there were 4 shifts available (or even 5) my friend, and the other carers were taking cleaning jobs for a few pounds. I guess they have more chance to take some casual work now but it's not very much cash and it is probably better to be available for an extra shift at a moments notice, if somebody phones in sick.
    I don't really understand why no help is available. Unemployment benefit would of course be hugely controversial - even I would not ask for that - but why not housing benefit? These women have come to the uk to look after my/our elderly relatives and we can't give them even a basic safety net??

Thread Information