Thread: Aberdeen, anyone?

Newbie (Restricted Access)

Smile Aberdeen, anyone?

Hi all,

I want to change my job and seems my experience as an engineer attracts job in aberdeen, oil and gas.
    Wonder what is life there in the north and wish that many Filipinos i can find so I can decide. I live opposite, here down south. Hopefully there will be a good number of kababayan in Aberdeen so it will be a good start of deciding.
    And probably if you knew places where more of Filipinos live in that area so I can check if its near the work place I am looking for.

Have a nice day to you all, and looking forward to any feedback.

Thanks and regards,
    Lemon

Banned
    I left Aberdeen early last year. Cold and grey up there. But good for jobs (when oil prices are high etc).

Try Oilcareers.com...as good as any source for oil industry related jobs.

What kind of engineer are you, btw?

Banned
    Oh. And its a different language up there....

cold and grey but some good money to be made

Banned
    Also try the Aberdeen Press and Journal online - the local paper.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonade73 View Post
    Hi all,

I want to change my job and seems my experience as an engineer attracts job in aberdeen, oil and gas.
    Wonder what is life there in the north and wish that many Filipinos i can find so I can decide. I live opposite, here down south. Hopefully there will be a good number of kababayan in Aberdeen so it will be a good start of deciding.
    And probably if you knew places where more of Filipinos live in that area so I can check if its near the work place I am looking for.

Thanks and regards,
    Lemon
    theres sulzer in ellon just outside aberdeen they are good to work for i hear, vacancies not known , i guess its as and when anything is available, its offshore pumps,,,, but not actually working offshore, though i think engineers will go offshore occasionally to set up pumps or trouble shoot,
    ellon is a nice place to bide too ,though houses expensive , i dont really know of any others, main area news paper for jobs etc, press and journal

Banned
    Ellon. I nearly bought an apartment up there a few years ago. The last time I was in Ellon I bought a couple of tickets from a taxi driver up there (Man U v Sunderland) who has a heap of season tickets that he doesnt always use.

Nice place, by the river and within striking distance of Aberdeen.

yes its ideal sort after place to live , for easy commuting to aberdeen

a lot of english moved to there now in the new houses that have been built this past few years ,
    oil related jobs

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    yes its ideal sort after place to live , for easy commuting to aberdeen

a lot of english moved to there now in the new houses that have been built this past few years ,
    oil related jobs
    Yes and handy both for Dyce Airport, the heliports and for the Dyce and Bridge of Don industrial estates.

Have they got any further with the bypass yet that they have been planning for the last few decades? And what about Donald Trumps plans and the development of Bridge of Don?

the bypass is still hanging,,, still got the bottle neck as you come from aberdeen from around balmeadie to ellon,

not sure whats happening with trump , not heard much lately

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    the bypass is still hanging,,, still got the bottle neck as you come from aberdeen from around balmeadie to ellon,
    And no doubt the bottleneck from Aberdeen to Dyce.......how I hated that every day.

The last I heard they were going to put a rail link in from Dyce to Bridge of Don and a direct road link to help alleviate some of the road congestion.

Respected Member
    aberdeen is a fine place mate,, and lots of work just now, ( apart from the traffic which can be " testing " )

Hi all,

Maayong Buntag (I'm assuming you're Filipino) and

During the early 1970s, the discovery of offshore oil reserves in the North Sea, led to Aberdeen being dubbed the 'Oil Capital of Europe'. Correspondingly, unemployment was low in an area of booming economic growth. Times change, though ... global recession affecting oil prices in the same way as those in other industries ... and I'm not at all sure of its current impact on job opportunities in your field of expertise.

Someone asked what kind of engineer you happened to be ... and - as is invariably the case - a great deal will depend on the extent to which your qualifications match the type of work available. Mention was also made of the 'Aberdeen Press & Journal' ... where all local job vacancies are advertised. Goodluck in your search.

Wonder what is life there in the north. I live opposite, here down south.
    ! Colder than down south ... the air is what one might call, "bracing"! But healthy!

... and wish that many Filipinos i can find so I can decide. Hopefully there will be a good number of kababayan in Aberdeen so it will be a good start of deciding.
    I'd imagine there's likely to be a fairly high concentration of Filipinos per head of population in Scotland's 3rd (and the UK's 29th) largest city ... considering the substantial number to be found in a much smaller town like Perth - where I stay.

Do you have access to the Internet? If so, then checkout 'Filipino Community of Aberdeen' ... it's connected to Facebook.

Respected Member
    although as before mentioned. the press and journal newspaper is worth a look,,unfortunatly for you,, ( or fortunatly for me ! ) most of the best jobs are word of mouth,,, but good luck anyway,,, and, as also said , depends on what kind of "engineer " you are and the depth of your experience......

Thread Information