Thread: Eating your way to happiness in the Philippines

Trusted Member

Eating your way to happiness in the Philippines

I thought at first this was about Terpe's kitchen !
    Nestled at the back of a small courtyard in the north of Manila, there is a little restaurant with an unusual name and an even more unusual concept.
    It is called Van Gogh is Bipolar, in homage to the Dutch painter who is believed to have had a life-long battle with mental illness, much like the restaurant's owner, Jetro Rafael.
    Mr Rafael believes that certain foods can make you happy, and everything on the menu has been created with this in mind.
    Ingredients such as salmon, honey, turkey and cabbage - all of which are thought to have mood-enhancing properties - have been worked into the dishes to create what Mr Rafael refers to as his "bipolar diet".
    This is a very personal project. Mr Rafael said he developed his recipes after years of struggling with mood swings and depression.
    "I started to look in books to learn how to manage my condition, and I found out about the properties of different foods. And now I want to share that knowledge," he said.
    It is not just people with mental illnesses whom Mr Rafael aims to serve.
    He also says his food can help those who just want to be a bit happier and calmer - perhaps they have had a stressful day at work, argued with their partner, got caught in Manila's terrible traffic or just feel a bit down.
    "I see people come here who are tired and stressed, and when they leave I can see the difference," he said.
    "The diet that I serve is designed and created to activate specific neurotransmitters in the brain, so these are neurotransmitters responsible for our feelings - feeling happy, feeling calm. “

Read more …
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17471626

Banned
    Foods without manufacturers additives.........thats a good start. Claimed to be a root cause of hyperactiveness in kids, for example.

Banned
    Wasnt Van Goghs problem down to too much Absinthe....highly toxic drink of the day that has since been banned.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    Wasnt Van Goghs problem down to too much Absinthe....highly toxic drink of the day that has since been banned.
    Vincent van Gogh, the Dutch post-Impressionist painter , did have health problems. He smoked, drank alcohol – including absinthe - and coffee to excess, and didn’t eat well. He had years of mental illness, and died in 1890 at the age of 37, probably suicide.

Good find that, Alan.

It's very interesting, and I highly recommend readers to follow the link provided and learn some more.

Banned
    Vincent van Gogh, the Dutch post-Impressionist painter , did have health problems. He smoked, drank alcohol – including absinthe - and coffee to excess, and didn’t eat well. He had years of mental illness, and died in 1890 at the age of 37, probably suicide
    And some venereal issues too?

My favourite artist. If it wasnt for his "diet", maybe we wouldnt be talking about him today.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Good find that, Alan.

It's very interesting, and I highly recommend readers to follow the link provided and learn some more.
    Yes. More to it than meets the eye. Fascinating topic. And as a for instance, its just recently that both me and Mrs Lastlid have found ginger a good solution to various forms of nausea.

The Japanese also seem to have a culture and history of identifying specific foods for specific ailments. Much more than most.

Banned
    Chocolate and lots of it. For mood enhancing!

...My favourite artist. .....
    Not my favourite, but certainly in my top 5

Banned
    The dude that painted this probably didnt eat at the "Van Gogh is BiPolar" Restaurant in Manila....

This one or one like it is due for auction soon, with an estimate of $80million

Respected Member
    The dude that painted this probably didnt eat at the "Van Gogh is BiPolar" Restaurant in Manila....

This one or one like it is due for auction soon, with an estimate of $80million
    Loves more like Edward Munch than Van Gogh

Respected Member
    "The diet that I serve is designed and created to activate specific neurotransmitters in the brain, so these are neurotransmitters responsible for our feelings - feeling happy, feeling calm. “
    I feel very happy and very calm when i am eating in Grappa in Makati or trellis in Quezon city especially when i am on my third or fourth SMB

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tanga View Post
    Exactly. Munch seemed a bit bi -polar too.

Trusted Member
    Great, Tanga ( #13 ) . A favourite meal with a few SMB’s or bottle of wine, with the right surroundings and company, is a good sensory experience ! But too much food and drink also cause some of our greatest health problems.
    It's interesting that food may have mood-altering properties - the point of this thread, regardless of Van Gogh’s health problems or painting ability . These are chemical effects, involving “ neurotransmitters “ such as serotonin and dopamine. Our brains have evolved to enable us to crave for “ highs “ ( from drugs, and - seemingly - certain foods ). The downside is “ lows “ ( anxiety, depression ). Bipolar disorders occur when these variations become extreme.
    Omega-3 ( oily fish ) and flavonoids ( blueberries, cranberries, dark chocolate ) may improve mood. But a whole bar of chocolate every day can lower mood - and cause obesity. Turkey, bananas and nuts served by Mr Rafael may make people feel calmer and less stressed - for a while. They contain tryptophan, converted in the body into serotonin. Certain diets might work like antidepressant drugs. ( One type of these drugs acts by “ selective serotonin re-uptake inhibition “. )
    Antidepressants are not the solution to most people’s problems, and are over-prescribed. Likewise, many of us can’t afford to eat out very often. A balanced diet and alcohol in moderation, are the answer for most people, most of the time .

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    A balanced diet and alcohol in moderation, are the answer for most people, most of the time .
    Otherwise one might end up like Vincent.....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    Antidepressants are not the solution to most people’s problems, and are over-prescribed. .
    Aren't antidepressants highly addictive too? With nasty withdrawal symptoms. Or am I getting confused with Valium?

Trusted Member
    I’m no psychiatrist, but you’re correct, prescribing of anxiolytics ( sedatives ) such as “ Valium “ is widespread ; dependence – physical and psychological, and tolerance do occur. This can lead to difficulty stopping the drug after taking it for more than a few weeks. Such drugs ( benzodiazepines ) have a known chemical effect on the brain. They are only indicated for short-term relief of severe anxiety with /without insomnia.
    Hypnotics ( sleeping tablets ) likewise should not be prescribed indiscriminately.
    Other drugs - such as antidepressants - acting on the nervous system commonly have side effects, some dangerous. The increasing number using them as “ recreational “ drugs probably have no idea - either of these effects, or exactly what they have purchased . They often mix them with alcohol, they’re intoxicated when they buy them, and once they’ve agreed a price, are unlikely to question the drug dealer about quality, at the time or later.
    But this is off – topic in a thread about food making you happy !

Banned
    Maybe not so off-thread is the subject of comfort eating, food addiction and overindulging. Each seems to bring short term happiness but maybe longer term misery.....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tanga View Post
    I believe it is Edvard actually....

This guy looks liked he munched his way through too many cakes and sugary foods and ended up with severe toothache.

Banned
    Thanks, Doc Alan. Another one of your topics that I take a fair bit of interest in.

Banned
    Indeed its very true and I really encourage you about this creativity. All the tips have their own worth and I am sure if we impose to these we can't get bore and get happiness which I believe...

Banned
    I also used, consumed liquor – such as absinthe - and coffee to unwanted, and just didn't eat well. He had years of psychological sickness, and passed away in 1890 at the age of 37, probably destruction.

Trusted Member
    My 'happiness' rating for restaurant food is largely dependant upon how long they make me wait and how big the bill is.

Thread Information