Thread: cake flour..or..??

cake flour..or..??

my recipe that about to bake requires cake flour..and im trying to find cake flour here in the UK but it seems not on the supermarket anyone knows where could we buy/get this..or any substitute

many in thanks
    btw ive read self raising flour can be use but am not sure..lolz
    A place for everything, everything in its place.

just get regular flour mesure the amount your going to use take out 2 table spoon of flour and put in 2 table spoons corn starch sive to mix do this a few times to complety mix thats it just make as normal

dad was a cook and was always baking cakes yumyum

am not a cook but both cook and eater!!

Trusted Member
    Is there a difference ?

I'm still getting confused between Plain and Self-raising, never mind 'cake flour'....and I used to work for Spillers (makers of Homepride flour).

yes ever wonder when you get a cake and it melts in your mouth and soft well thats cake flour

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Is there a difference ?

I'm still getting confused between Plain and Self-raising, never mind 'cake flour'....and I used to work for Spillers (makers of Homepride flour).
    i thought they made dog meat

Trusted Member
    Indeed they did (and also owned 'Spratts' and 'Caperns' who's products had a separate sales force and were aimed solely at the pet trade...which I had just come from).

When I worked at Spillers our products included Homepride flour of 'Flour Graders' fame, Tyne Brand canned foods (now re-branded as Homepride), Kennomeat,Kattomeat, Top Cat and dog biscuits such as Winalot, Bonios, Spillers Shapes and Spillers Mixed Ovals.

oh yes i remember the old names, some of them i fed my dog on

Quote Originally Posted by Moy View Post
    my recipe that about to bake requires cake flour..and im trying to find cake flour here in the UK but it seems not on the supermarket anyone knows where could we buy/get this..or any substitute

many in thanks
    self raising flower is fine, makes yummy light sponge cakes, i slice accross after it cools and spead strawberry jam, and cream also if like, then sprinkle with dry icing suger over top yummy

victoria sandwhich is the one i can make easy and

i use this recipe, you cant beat be-ro
    http://www.be-ro.com/f_insp.htm

Victoria Sandwich
    100 g (4 oz) margarine
    100 g (4 oz) caster sugar
    2 medium eggs
    100 g (4 oz) Self Raising Flour

1 Heat oven to 180ºC, 350ºF, Gas Mark 4. Grease an 18 cm (7 inch) sandwich tins.
    2 Cream margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, adding a little flour with each.
    3 Gently fold in remaining flour.
    4 Place in prepared tins and bake for 20-25 minutes in 2 tins or 40-45 minutes in one tin.
    5 When cool, fill with jam or cream. Dust with icing sugar.

Trusted Member
    Be-Ro ??? They were the enemy !

Is that all you do to make sponge cake ?

Might have a go myself.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    just get regular flour mesure the amount your going to use take out 2 table spoon of flour and put in 2 table spoons corn starch sive to mix do this a few times to complety mix thats it just make as normal
    Cake flour is not flour with corn startch added to it.

many in thanks
    Moy,
    Cake flour is milled from a softer wheat and is also treated to have a lower protein level. Lower protein level results in less gluten development. It also has a significantly finer granulation. (finer sifting)

You'd be much better advised to buy "sponge flour"
    You can buy Sainsbury's "Taste the Difference Extra Fine Sponge Flour" on special offer right now
    Look here:-
    http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/#/sai...flour_1kg.html

Supreme Sponge flour is the only flour specially for perfect sponge making. It is milled from selected premium soft wheats and is extra sifted.
    This finer flour can absorb more moisture and sugar than standard self raising flours.
    The result is very light, soft, moist and even textured cakes... you and your family will notice the difference!
    McDougalls also make and sell sponge flour (I think both plain and self-raising), these would be available at most supermarkets I think.

I remember that Tesco also has their own brand.

Pop out to your local Sainsbury and get some now

Moy,
    Cake flour is milled from a softer wheat and is also treated to have a lower protein level. Lower protein level results in less gluten development. It also has a significantly finer granulation. (finer sifting)

You'd be much better advised to buy "sponge flour"
    You can buy Sainsbury's "Taste the Difference Extra Fine Sponge Flour" on special offer right now
    Look here:-
    http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/#/sai...flour_1kg.html
    i think you have read my mind on that links..as actually before ive log in here i been lookin on that links youve just given
    btw thanks in many as usual Terpe

Banned
    Is that with or without Lye Water, Moy?

I have been reading that baking soda is interchangeable with Lye Water but not as strong an alkali. Presumably baking soda will do what Lye Water does? Knowing what I know about Caustic Soda, I would be reluctant to put Lye Water in food, or store it amongst other foodstuffs. Sorry if this appears an over the top reaction but putting caustic soda in food goes completely against the grain of what I am accustomed to.

Banned
    There's a useful bit of chat on Lye Water in food here......on Buko Pandan.....baking soda instead of Lye Water.

http://casaveneracion.com/buko-pandan/

Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    Is that with or without Lye Water, Moy?

I have been reading that baking soda is interchangeable with Lye Water but not as strong an alkali. Presumably baking soda will do what Lye Water does? Knowing what I know about Caustic Soda, I would be reluctant to put Lye Water in food, or store it amongst other foodstuffs. Sorry if this appears an over the top reaction but putting caustic soda in food goes completely against the grain of what I am accustomed to.
    completely NOTHING TO DO.. WITH lye water lastid

Banned
    completely NOTHING TO DO.. WITH lye water lastid
    In baking in general. I have been reading more about it. Some folk use it to bake pretzels for example.

I thought this was an interesting piece of dialogue....

"Thanks for the tip on lye. I did do a search and read through what some are saying. I guess what I really should have asked is more about where to buy lye? I went to the hardware store looking for "Red Devil Lye" as it talks about in some of my books. But now I think I heard a rumor that this lye is discontinued. And now I am reading about "food-grade lye" on this website. I certainly don't want to boil my pretzels in a toilet bowl cleaner, so now I am really confused. Also, if this stuff is so poisonous, then it seems like even 3-4 Tbsp diluted into a liter of water would still be poisonous.
    Anyway, if you could tell me where you get your food-grade lye from (if it's the web, which website?), and if you could calm my mind about poisoning my customers, students, family, and self... I'd be forever appreciative.
    Ha! Yeah, Kaiser Rolls are my next hurdle. I saw the photos of Floyd's in the gallery section and in the recipe section of this website, and they seem to be top notch. At least they LOOK top-notch. That is always my problem with breads though. They very often look great, but don't have that crispness or that special something that European bakeries have."

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/461...erman-pretzels

bless you lastid

Banned
    No offence meant. And I am not a cook, just a bloke who spent most of his life in heavy industry where sodium hydroxide is bad news. I am probably just over reacting....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    When I worked at Spillers our products included Homepride flour of 'Flour Graders' fame, Tyne Brand canned foods (now re-branded as Homepride), Kennomeat,Kattomeat, Top Cat and dog biscuits such as Winalot, Bonios, Spillers Shapes and Spillers Mixed Ovals.
    Loved em all.....burp...yummy.

How To Make Cake Flour: Turn All-Purpose Flour into Cake Flour

1. Measure out the all-purpose flour that you’ll need for your recipe.
    2. For every cup of flour you use, take out two tablespoons of flour and return it to the flour bin. Throw the cup of flour (minus the two tablespoons) into a sifter set over a bowl.
    3. Replace the two tablespoons of flour that your removed with two tablespoons of cornstarch.
    4. Sift the flour and cornstarch together. Sift it again, and again and again. The cornstarch and flour need to be well incorporated and the flour aerated. Sift the flour and cornstarch mixture about five times. Look at that! You just made cake flour!

If you can't say something nice. SHUT UP!. Simple.

little more than i said but an not a long writer but as long as it gets same result

Thread Information