Thread: The Barong

Post The Barong

I found this short article about the history of the Barong.
    Hope others find it just as fascinating.

The Barong

By Ambassador Jose A. Zaide

April 16, 2012

Filipinas should envy Indian women with their six-meter long sarees – a boon to the textile industry. Pinays have stopped using the balintawak or any traditional dress to work. But they would sport the latest Paris or New York fashion.

At least our menfolks retain a traditional haberdashery, and even improve on it. The Barong Tagalog or just the “Barong” is the male Filipino dress. The shirt originated from Philippine colonial history.

When we were a colony of Spain, the natives or Indios were obliged to wear shirts without pockets (so that they could not steal). The shirt was also to be made of diaphanous material (so that they could not conceal weapons). And the natives were also to wear their shirt-tails out, to distinguish them from their betters – “insulares” and “peninsulares” – who tucked in their shirts.

The dress code was clearly a position of servitude. But the Indio gave the shirt to his wife, who embellished it with her needlework; and, rather than being a mark of shame, the shirt is worn today with national pride. This was the Filipino’s cultural jujitsu on his oppressor.

When I told this little anecdote to Fr. Paul, a Catholic priest from Kerala, he recalled that there is a similar fashion in Christianity. He said that the cross was an ending for the worst of criminals…and became the sign of Christian salvation.

Material: The barong material may be in any organic fabric: piña (from pineapple fiber), jusi (from banana fiber), ramie (from abaca fiber), or cotton. The first two fabrics are diaphanous and used for formal wear. The gusot mayaman looks like Detective Colombo slept in it.

Manner of wear: Piña and jusi are worn with a kamisa tsino undershirt with sleeves and buttons on the front, to give flexibility whether the shirt is to be worn with open or closed collar. (Gibo Teodoro may have lost some votes for wearing a crewneck T-shirt which showed under the collar. And, under pain of anathema, never, never wear a tank shirt (sando) underneath.

On formal occasions, the barong is worn with the neck collar buttoned up; French cuffs; studs may be used; dark trousers. For informal occasions, the collar is left open; light-colored trousers. (A casual version is the short-sleeved polo barong).

Decorations: The Philippine honors code prescribes that a rosette, if worn, should be placed at the third buttonhole (from the neckline).

Source:-
    http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/357127...barong-tagalog

If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Interesting account of this garment's origins, Peter. I purchased two of them last time I was in the Phils ... in fact, on the very day we deposited Myrna's Spousal Visa documents with the British Embassy in Manila. Indeed ... I've even worn the dressier cream~coloured one - with its contrasting brown embroidered interweaving - while on Elders' door duty at our local church on [the few] summer Sundays when it has been too hot to wear a jacket and tie. And it cuts a real dash!

Must admit Arthur, I think they look smart too.
    I've 4-5 different ones in Philippines and a couple here in the house.

Banned
    Being a little dsylixec I read barong as sarong.....the barong.....my wifes nephew wore one to his graduation....

Respected Member
    I've got a Barong Tagalog and I'm very proud of it!

It was tailor made for me when I attended a friend's wedding 10 years ago. I've worn it several times since and it looks really smart.

Luckily, I haven't grown to fat for it yet!

Will be wearing one for my wedding itself. Looks alot cooler than a suit aswell. I will be tailor made so fingers crossed when I get there it won't need too much in alterations!

Banned
    Twas a good read

Not for me, though....they look much better worn by the natives....ill stick to my Tommy Hilfiger.

A bit like an Englishman marrying a Scottish lass then wearing a kilt for the wedding ceremony

Thread Information