Thread: Chest x ray result (query)

Luddendenfoot, near Todmorden and Slaithwaite

Chest x ray result (query)

I thought the stress was OVER....

But here's one stressor again...

Some of the forum members whom I have got into connection with advised to me obtain a chest xray because there are some cases that the immigration officer asked for it...

I have cough the time the XRAY was taken... So the result read as follow:

RIGHT LUNG: shows infltrations on the lower lobe.. LEFT LUNG, clear..

IMPRESSION: compatible with pneumonia...

I have read some health journals which relates pneumonia to TB and this adds to my worry... I would want to have a sputum test but it might be impossible to obtain the result as I fly to Manchester on Monday...

Will I have problems on the airport's immigration counter?

HELP HELP HELP...
    UKBA,UKBA I am dreading to hear from you...
    UKBA, a BRP for Christmas will do...

Trusted Member
    Stop worrying.

You can have the Xray done here in the UK (and only if immigration here ask for it).

Even a 'bad' result won't stop you getting into the country or staying here.

You'll just be asked to get any health condition treated.

Oh, and don't offer to show immigration here THAT Xray result of course !

Naturally it will be best to get yourself checked again after you've arrived here to make sure you ARE in good health !

Banned
    My wife wasn't asked for a chest x ray at Manchester Airport when she flew in last October....

If they had I was going to contest it (politely of course) and refer them to the detail on the matter on their own website.

Pneumonia is different from TB so don't worry....just bring your chest xray with you.
    London Heathrow is very rigid, they asked for me chest xray result but i don't think Manchester will ask for it as i read in some forum members here.

relax and have a safe trip!!
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Thank you graham, laslid, and sars.... I always worry about this flying stuff.. I want to have everything in order so I will enjoy the flight....

Thank you again

Trusted Member
    It could have just been a 'normal' slight chest infection, which a doctor would have given some antibiotics to clear up.

What the UK is REALLY concerned about is people coming from abroad and spreading CONTAGIOUS TB around...which is becoming more common now.

Always a worry when you're breathing in all that re-circulated air on the plane.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlags90 View Post
    Thank you graham, laslid, and sars.... I always worry about this flying stuff.. I want to have everything in order so I will enjoy the flight....

Thank you again
    Remember, they won't stop you entering the country cos you don't have an Xray.

Better to have a new (free) one done at the airport here...IF they ask for it, because your lungs will probably be clear by now anyway if it was just an infection you had before.

if its manchester airport more likely you will get a letter asking you to attend a clinic at some point, my stepson had something similar wrong on his X-ray. they just gave him some treatment, so dont worry
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

MY wife arrived at Heathrow last November, she had an x ray done in Manila but UKBA didnt ask for it so maybe its just the odd few they ask so dont worry about it.

Trusted Member
    Inconsistencies by immigration officers at different UK airports as to whether a chest X Ray ( CXR ) is required may understandably be an additional “ stressor “.
    However, the CXR can’t be used on its own to either give a clean bill of health or make a specific diagnosis. It gives images of lungs, heart, chest wall, and bones of spine. It may help diagnose conditions such as :-
    • Pneumonia ( meaning lung inflammation, which may be lobar – affecting 1 or more lobes ; or bronchopneumonia – more patchy, affecting small air passages. Bacterial pneumonia can be either tuberculous or due to other “ bugs “. It can also be viral or fungal. )
    • Chronic bronchitis and emphysema
    • Lung cancer
    • Heart failure or other conditions
    • Other illnesses
    Benefits :
    • Relatively cheap, widely available, rapidly performed
    • One of the lowest radiation exposure medical examinations
    • If needed, the image(s) can be sent online to experts anywhere ( teleradiology )
    Disadvantages :
    • Minimise radiation by using modern “ focussed “ systems ; avoid if pregnant
    • “ Normal “ CXR doesn’t rule out all conditions, such as small cancers or blood clots ( embolism ). There are other imaging methods available such as CT scan.
    Whether or not you’re required to show your CXR(s) at immigration, they MUST be kept:
    • They are used to compare with more recent CXRs – this helps monitor changes and treatment.
    Tuberculosis mainly affects the lungs but can involve other parts of the body.
    • Diagnosis doesn’t just depend on CXR. Persistent cough, weight loss and night sweats are typical. Sputum examination and culture are required. Treatment involves more than one drug type, for 6 months – drug resistance is a problem.
    • Although much commoner in the Philippines ( estimates between 75-100 deaths/day ), several thousand new cases are diagnosed every year in UK ( prisoners, homeless, alcoholics and drug addicts especially ).
    An otherwise healthy 22 year old Filipina is unlikely to have tuberculosis.

hi
    my wife landed here today and she wasnt asked for an x-ray. she wasnt asked any medical questions. she was only asked 2 questions 1. are you traveling alone? 2. is your husband waiting in the airport for you? thats all she was asked this morning at edinburgh airport.

Trusted Member
    This sounds like cause for celebration !

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    This sounds like cause for celebration !
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

It could have just been a 'normal' slight chest infection, which a doctor would have given some antibiotics to clear up.

What the UK is REALLY concerned about is people coming from abroad and spreading CONTAGIOUS TB around...which is becoming more common now.

Always a worry when you're breathing in all that re-circulated air on the plane.
    Remember, they won't stop you entering the country cos you don't have an Xray.

Better to have a new (free) one done at the airport here...IF they ask for it, because your lungs will probably be clear by now anyway if it was just an infection you had before.
    Quote Originally Posted by malchard888 View Post
    MY wife arrived at Heathrow last November, she had an x ray done in Manila but UKBA didnt ask for it so maybe its just the odd few they ask so dont worry about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    Inconsistencies by immigration officers at different UK airports as to whether a chest X Ray ( CXR ) is required may understandably be an additional “ stressor “.
    However, the CXR can’t be used on its own to either give a clean bill of health or make a specific diagnosis. It gives images of lungs, heart, chest wall, and bones of spine. It may help diagnose conditions such as :-
    • Pneumonia ( meaning lung inflammation, which may be lobar – affecting 1 or more lobes ; or bronchopneumonia – more patchy, affecting small air passages. Bacterial pneumonia can be either tuberculous or due to other “ bugs “. It can also be viral or fungal. )
    • Chronic bronchitis and emphysema
    • Lung cancer
    • Heart failure or other conditions
    • Other illnesses
    Benefits :
    • Relatively cheap, widely available, rapidly performed
    • One of the lowest radiation exposure medical examinations
    • If needed, the image(s) can be sent online to experts anywhere ( teleradiology )
    Disadvantages :
    • Minimise radiation by using modern “ focussed “ systems ; avoid if pregnant
    • “ Normal “ CXR doesn’t rule out all conditions, such as small cancers or blood clots ( embolism ). There are other imaging methods available such as CT scan.
    Whether or not you’re required to show your CXR(s) at immigration, they MUST be kept:
    • They are used to compare with more recent CXRs – this helps monitor changes and treatment.
    Tuberculosis mainly affects the lungs but can involve other parts of the body.
    • Diagnosis doesn’t just depend on CXR. Persistent cough, weight loss and night sweats are typical. Sputum examination and culture are required. Treatment involves more than one drug type, for 6 months – drug resistance is a problem.
    • Although much commoner in the Philippines ( estimates between 75-100 deaths/day ), several thousand new cases are diagnosed every year in UK ( prisoners, homeless, alcoholics and drug addicts especially ).
    An otherwise healthy 22 year old Filipina is unlikely to have tuberculosis.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey73 View Post
    hi
    my wife landed here today and she wasnt asked for an x-ray. she wasnt asked any medical questions. she was only asked 2 questions 1. are you traveling alone? 2. is your husband waiting in the airport for you? thats all she was asked this morning at edinburgh airport.
    Thank you for sharing your opinions and/or experiences... I really appreciate those.. I might just bring the result, and try presenting it (in case they ask for it --- BUT I HOPE NOT) ...

Banned
    hi
    Thats virtually what my wife got in Manchester....it was a piece of cake...

hi
    Nice news. Happy days ahead

welcome to the UK...dont forget to treat your chest infection though...antibiotic works well

Thanks Gparry.. I sure will...

Thread Information