Thread: Evidence of Maintenance (Funds)

Evidence of Maintenance (Funds)

I have a question about the article posted on the UKBA website regarding Evidence of Maintenance, particularly the last statement

found here: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...s/maintenance/

Letter confirming funds

Each letter must be from a bank, a building society or a financial institution that is regulated by the Financial Services Authority (or the home regulator, if the account is overseas).

The home regulator is the official regulatory body for the country where the institution operates and the funds are located.

The letter should state:

* your name or your sponsor's name
    * the account number
    * the date of the letter
    * the financial institution's name and logo
    * the funds held in your account
    * that there are enough funds present in the account to support a dependent partner and any dependent children

The bank did not literally state the last phrase in the letter that my fiance got yesterday with the argument that the bank is not in the position to decide whether or not the funds available in a particular account is enough to support a dependent partner (without recourse to public funds of course).

Any enlightenment regarding this matter is appreciated.

Brian McNulty and Noreen Enerio

Quote Originally Posted by BriaNoreen View Post
    I have a question about the article posted on the UKBA website regarding Evidence of Maintenance, particularly the last statement

found here: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...s/maintenance/

Letter confirming funds

Each letter must be from a bank, a building society or a financial institution that is regulated by the Financial Services Authority (or the home regulator, if the account is overseas).

The home regulator is the official regulatory body for the country where the institution operates and the funds are located.

The letter should state:

* your name or your sponsor's name
    * the account number
    * the date of the letter
    * the financial institution's name and logo
    * the funds held in your account
    * that there are enough funds present in the account to support a dependent partner and any dependent children

The bank did not literally state the last phrase in the letter that my fiance got yesterday with the argument that the bank is not in the position to decide whether or not the funds available in a particular account is enough to support a dependent partner (without recourse to public funds of course).

Any enlightenment regarding this matter is appreciated.

Brian McNulty and Noreen Enerio
    The UKBA state that you (the applicant) must provide evidenceof available funds.
    They then state that the types of documents acceptable to them as such evidence are:-

- personal bank or building society statements; and/or
    - building society pass books; and/or
    - letters from banks or building societies confirming funds; and/or
    - letters from financial institutions regulated by the Financial Services Authority (or the home regulator, if the account is overseas) confirming funds.

These documents will show/confirm the funding available.
    They will confirm the cash flow and will show that the applicant and sponsor can meet all financial requirements.

Then the UKBA go on to say:-

Every personal bank or building society statement should clearly show:

- your name or your sponsor's name
    - the account number
    - the date of the statement
    - the financial institution's name and logo
    - transactions covering the recent period
    - that there are enough funds present in the account to support a dependent partner and any dependent children

That last requirement does not mean that any document should STATE there are enough funds, only that the documents should not show living beyond ones means with overdrafts etc. That those documents should show/demonstrate that the cash flows indicate that the required minimum disposable income is met.

I think you may just have misunderstood.
    The UKBA do not say anywhere that the letter should actually state anything. Only that the statements should show the funding and that the regular on-going funding is sufficient to support you.

Hope this helps

Don't worry, as long as you have documents (such as bank statements/pay slips etc) to prove financial status you will be fine.

Brian / Noreen

I agree with Terpe .... you've misunderstood the question/requirement.

The bank is merely confirming what's in your account, and the history of that account (ie the bank statements).

The bank cannot decide what's adequent funding to support you (or your partner). The bank can merely state the facts.

It's YOU who has to convince the ECO that the funds in your account, along with your monthly income (wages), less your basic outgoings are sufficient to support two persons.
    No man is an island, but Barry is

I understood perfectly

I fully understand the Evidence of Maintenance from the start and if I understood correctly, bank documents e.g.bank statements and passbooks and other financial assets e.g. shares and bonds, should show an amount that would be enough to support me as well as my partner without recourse to UK public funds. That is easy enough to grasp. Terpe, you are right technically, both of you are.

But my question was about the LETTER CONFIRMING FUNDS, not about the Evidence of Maintenance. My fiance and I agreed that it is not the concern of the bank or any other financial institution. As stated previously, the bank did not add the last statement in the letter that my fiance got with the argument that the bank is not in the position to decide whether or not the funds available in a particular account is enough to support a dependent partner. THEY ARE CORRECT.

Thank you for your inputs.

Post by: Noreen Eunice Enerio

Verified by: Brian McNulty BSc(Hons) BA(Hons) DipPS CertContSci
    Last edited by BriaNoreen; 22nd April 2012 at 16:22. Reason: needed to change something

Banned
    Brian. I am a bit confused here. All we did was provide complete bank statements for both my current and deposit account for 6 consecutive months. That was all that was required. No letter from the bank was required.
    Basically the bank statements tell the complete story.

Hi lastlid, this is Noreen.

Bank statements are fine and yes. You are right, they tell the complete story.

But under the same article, you can actually get a letter from your bank CONFIRMING THE FUNDS, which makes the evidence stronger.

My concern was, the letter must state that there is enough funds present in the account to support a dependent partner and any dependent children.

Which no bank can do

Banned
    Hi lastlid, this is Noreen.

Bank statements are fine and yes. You are right, they tell the complete story.

But under the same article, you can actually get a letter from your bank CONFIRMING THE FUNDS, which makes the evidence stronger.

My concern was, the letter must state that there is enough funds present in the account to support a dependent partner and any dependent children.

Which no bank can do
    Okay. I think I see where you are coming from.

I could have had a letter from my bank too but my Adviser felt it wasn't necessary.

...............and other financial assets e.g. shares and bonds, should show an amount that would be enough to support me as well as my partner without recourse to UK public funds...
    I'm afraid those assets will not be considered by UKBA :-
    You must provide evidence that maintenance is available in the form of cash funds. Other accounts or financial instruments (such as shares, bonds and pension funds) are not acceptable, regardless of the notice period.

Its Finally Complete

EVIDENCE OF MAINTENANCE (FUNDS)– Sponsor

Most Recent IS Letter (April 2012)
    Most Recent DLA Letter (April 2012)
    Original Quarterly Bank of Ireland Statements (2007 – Present)
    Fuel Allowance Letter
    Open University Course Fee Award Letter
    Open University Internet Allowance
    Scanned Strabane Credit Union Ltd. Passbook
    Letter Confirming Funds from Strabane Credit Union Limited
    Other Financial Asset Documents
    - ns&i Premium Bonds Certificate of Investment
    - HALIFAX ShareBuilder (Current Valuation set as of 1:04 9 May 2012)
    (Fiancée Visa Application Form (VAF4 OCT 2011) states: 8.7.12 Does your sponsor have any savings, property or other income, for example, from stocks and shares?)

Original Western Union and WorldRemit Sender and Receiver Receipts (May 2011- Present)

Thread Information