Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My first flight in 7 weeks.

My first flight in 7 weeks.

Hi guys,
    well its been 6 months now wtih my girl calling twice a day and skyping for hours. So on 9th June I fly via heathrow, Bahrain to Manila, spend one night in hotel, then off to Cagayan de oro city monday morning to meet my love.

Any advise please?
    Good tips?

Take care John
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained"
    "It is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all" Lord Tenneson.

Trusted Member
    Don't forget your passport and air ticket !

I take it you haven't been to the Phils before then ?

What hotel have you decided on in Manila ?...hopefully near the airport if you're flying out again the next day.

Have a great time John.

Just remember that the Philippines is very different to the UK. It will be very hot this time of year too. Be prepared to be smiled at, asked if you need help and be welcomed nearly everywhere you go.

Be a little street wise, don't keep a wallet in your back pocket, just keep enough money in your front or zipped pocket for the day.

But most of all be guided by your mahal, and just have a fabulous time together.

I wish you a safe and fulfilling trip... the first of many I think
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

don,t wear jewelary either .its very hot so don,t take many pairs of trousers coz you won,t need them.im heading back in 3 weeks to cebu in time for my g f 40th birthday and am planning to stay for a year .let your girlfriend handle all money transactions ie taxis etc coz you will be charged etc where ever you go coz with blond hair you,ll stick out like a sore thumb lol enjoy .

too hot here now but June is the start of rainy season ....Cagayan De Oro is a safe place for you...let your girlfriend meet you at the airport to avoid the rude taxi cab drivers although not all are like that....just to be safe....God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    too hot here now but June is the start of rainy season ....Cagayan De Oro is a safe place for you...let your girlfriend meet you at the airport to avoid the rude taxi cab drivers although not all are like that....just to be safe....God Bless
    your right there Marie, i think its got to 35c here in Puerto Princesa
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by songz777 View Post
    Hi guys,
    well its been 6 months now wtih my girl calling twice a day and skyping for hours. So on 9th June I fly via heathrow, Bahrain to Manila, spend one night in hotel, then off to Cagayan de oro city monday morning to meet my love.

Any advise please?
    Good tips?

Take care John

Hello songz777....what time you'll arrive in Manila and what time is your flight out of Manila to CDO?if you arrive say late at night and have to fly early in the morning i would advice you to stay in the airport.
    Anyway CDO is one of the safest place in Philippines,welcome to the City of Golden Friendship(im from CDO too) and wish you a happy journey and vacation.
    By the way what hotel your going to stay here in CDO?

Hi Songz have a safe and enjoyable trip. Lots of useful advice above and be careful with the water.

There is a street market in the Square in Cagayan De Oro on evening a week, but cannot remember which now

Also the Cafe-bar in the Square is pleasent at night.
    Mick.

Hi guys,

Any advise please?
    Good tips?

Take care John
    As others have said, Philippines is very different from UK.
    Try to avoid pre-conceptions, be open minded, smile, try to avoid value judgements and smile.
    Always relax and smile, stay calm and smile.
    Be aware of your environment and smile.
    Be guided by your gf

Oh and did I mention to smile?

That smile and the feelings will stay with you always and will drive you on to make yet another visit.

Have a great trip

Respected Member
    Hi Songz,

You are now counting the days to be here in the Phils. Have a safe trip it will be a long journey. May it will be sunny or rainy when come out in June.

We able to stay in Manila Airport Hotel, Just across the airport, internationa arrival. Its a walking distance by the way...

John, it's always a nice idea to take some small gifts from UK.
    No need to spend loads of money just small stuff like chocolate, key rings etc.

take lots of pictures , enjoy all you can and take some loo roll with you where ever you go and a little bar of soap too,

John, may I suggest you take a look at this thread:-
    http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....cards-in-Phils

Thank you ever so much for all your advise oh wow makes me feel lets get going

So yes I am staying at hotel at the airport, as i have to catch a plane 14 hours later.
    I am staying at the Riverview Inn and may Mahal lives 2 mins away with he famil who will be my guide all the time.
    Water & soap sounds good idea, I have all my jabs this week I shall be like a pin cusion!
    I am looking forward so much to at last give her such a long embrace mwahhhh.

Thanks for tips about money and the climate and smiling.

I appreciate all you advise as this is my first time to Philli but not my last

May be by the end of the trip I will pop the big question to her, we shall see how it all goes and go from there.

Many thanks

John
    "It is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all" Lord Tenneson.

Respected Member South-east boy's Avatar
    Good luck and hope everything goes smoothly?! Where are you flying from in UK and who with?

I've got my first trip to Phils in 3 1/2 weeks time and will come back just before you leave!

Respected Member
    Have safe trip songs how long u going for?

I only stayed for 4 days in my first visit to see how the country is well guess im just over safe well hope you have a good time.

Trusted Member
    That must have been a rough 4 days. It takes me that long for the jet-lag to clear and to start looking and feeling like a normal human being again.

Then there's the constipation.

Respected Member
    sure was rough 4 days lol had to go straight work after 2 days after i got back aswel

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Then there's the constipation.

Ohh..... that reminds me, have a contingency plan for the opposite........ take some Immodium just in case

Sound advise I am leaving Heathrow on 9th @10am on my own and will be with my girl for 12 days ahh bliss I look forward so much to being with her but bit nervous on my own with the flights and no one to watch my gear if i go to the loo!

Respected Member
    im sure you be fine least your gf will greet u at the airport.

Banned
    Sound advise I am leaving Heathrow on 9th @10am on my own and will be with my girl for 12 days ahh bliss I look forward so much to being with her but bit nervous on my own with the flights and no one to watch my gear if i go to the loo!
    Take a ruck sack for "hands free".....

Trusted Member
    but bit nervous on my own with the flights and no one to watch my gear if i go to the loo!
    Don't worry....bomb squad will take care of that.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Don't worry....bomb squad will take care of that.
    ohh thats mean looks like a big case dragged to the loo

Any advise Graham much appreciated from you as I know you have been philli a lot. Take care John

Quote Originally Posted by zaxy View Post
    im sure you be fine least your gf will greet u at the airport.
    Well she will meet me at Cagayan de oro but not Manila, still it gives me time to rest from some jet lag and be in a good emotional frame of mind to meet her ohh

....nervous on my own with the flights and no one to watch my gear if i go to the loo!
    I have one of those 'manbags', just big enough to carry passport/tickets/wallett/cash/coins/documents etc. just keep it on your body.
    Any other carry-on luggage is locked and placed in the overhead locker. Nothing much else you can do.
    In over 30 years of regular business travel (and with all the business electronics etc) I never had any problems even once.

Well she will meet me at Cagayan de oro but not Manila, still it gives me time to rest from some jet lag and be in a good emotional frame of mind to meet her ohh
    You'll need to keep that smile.
    That next day you need to be organised with your travel documents and luggage.
    You cannot enter the airport without your travel documents.
    At entry your luggage will be x-rayed and you will be checked. You may be asked to remove shoes/belt/jewelery etc so just be aware of what you wear and try footwear that's easy to manage.
    You may want to enquire at the hotel just what is allowed as carry-on luggage and what must be checked-luggage and NAIA has a habit of making changes.
    You need to be prepared for possible excess baggage charges as the domestic flights do not have the same allowances as international. Fortunately the charges are not so expensive.

A rucksack type of carry on is all you will need. Over one shoulder when you go for a wee is fine ..... never leave your baggage alone... EVER!!

Another bit of advice, when you arrive at Manila airport and get your bags ready to leave the building, you will be bombarded with lots of willing people who will try to take your case. DO NOT LET THEM..!!! just be polite and firm if they start to reach for them. If you are staying in the hotel next to the airport, it is only a short walk. If you really need a guide for that, then you can, but only give 50 peso max for that. Take a good look at google earth map of the airport to familiarise yourself with where the hotel is in relation to the airport exit.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    I have one of those 'manbags', just big enough to carry passport/tickets/wallett/cash/coins/documents etc. just keep it on your body.
    Any other carry-on luggage is locked and placed in the overhead locker. Nothing much else you can do.
    In over 30 years of regular business travel (and with all the business electronics etc) I never had any problems even once.
    Obviously demand to be moved if there are Pikeys seated nearby

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information