Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do foreigners get all the jobs, asks Boris Johnson

Why do foreigners get all the jobs, asks Boris Johnson

Boris Johnson is to launch an inquiry into why so many British jobs are being given to foreign workers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...s-Johnson.html
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    Writing in The Daily Telegraph he says: “London’s formidable job-creating powers do not always seem to involve the creation of jobs for native Londoners. Go into any coffee shop and talk to the staff, listen to the voices on the building sites — and you will see how the city is working as a magnet for talent and energy from outside the UK.”
    I have noticed this too.

London again?. Its the same in every city. Look at Derby where Steve lives. I used to visit there regularly I admit I havnt been there for a few years but from reports there is foriegners there. They are all over the place. I think a uprising will come when things start to get tougher.

if the tables where turned and you went to any other country and got support and the chance of work, would it be a fair system,

Banned
    Interesting topic. I am trying to fathom out why Marks and Sparks and Tesco employ so many filipinos on the Isle of Man. To get a job here they need both a UK visa and a work permit, in most cases (not all).

I was talking to a work colleague about her daughter working in the care sector here and she said her daughter wasn't prepared to work the hours that the filipinos worked.

When I was in London, I noticed a lot of foreigners working in the coffee houses etc and I did wonder why the positions weren't being filled by Brits.

Another slant on this is that Brits aren't always available or qualified in certain sectors. So employers have to look abroad in those instances.

See this recent Nissan related report. Industrial expansion is being held back because of skill shortages....
    http://tutor2u.net/blog/index.php/ec...-back-recovery

my theories are ..

non British Europeans might not have rights yet to claim benefits or they dont know their rights.

they need the job and the money as they have no family or friends that can help out, so they are more likely to put up with longer than a Brit.
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

... Boris for Prime Minister! !

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    if the tables where turned and you went to any other country and got support and the chance of work, would it be a fair system,
    Many things are against us going to another country and working Steve. Language barrier for one. I dont think you would be given the help in another country like foriegners have here.

Banned
    I know exactly why my former employer wanted to hire from a labour pool abroad. I do not need to guess as I was a party to recruitment discussion. Basically they were both readily available and more importantly cheaper to hire.

Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    Basically they were both readily available and more importantly cheaper to hire.
    yes i forgot to add that one , the major reason they are desperate and will work for a lot less

You have hit the nail on the head Lastlid. (cheap labour) Lack of skills is just a smokescreen that politicians and buisnessmen use. To sort this out would be easy. Just find a brit who is claiming unemployment benefits and who is fit to work. Offer him a job. If he refuses dock his benefit. job done.

Banned
    Yes. And by employing from a cheaper pool of labour my old department could then undercut competitors. Or at least remain competitive.

Trusted Member
    Yes, it's quite simple.

Businesses are run to make a profit, not as a social service.

The safety net allows British 'workers' to say 'no'.

I worked abroad in Hong Kong for a few years.....damned hard work too.

The difference there ?

Don't go to work....don't eat....don't send money to family.

Interesting topic. I am trying to fathom out why Marks and Sparks and Tesco employ so many filipinos on the Isle of Man. To get a job here they need both a UK visa and a work permit, in most cases (not all).

http://tutor2u.net/blog/index.php/ec...-back-recovery
    I cannot speak for Tesco but Marks and Spencers have in my opinion become really poor employers. They employ alot of their staff now on temporary contracts with the promise of becoming permanent. In my daughters case she started with them in October on a Temporary contract and has never been late or had a day of sick. They keep telling her she is going to be made permanent but every couple of months they simply extend her contract. This means she has no real rights as an employee. She booked to go on holiday with her friends in the summer and gave them 7 months notice of the holiday but still they are unable to confirm her holiday because she is on a Temporary contract. Last week 2 of her colleagues were given less than a weeks notice for no other reason than business has slowed down. A manager told my daughter she would be made permanent in April but when the time came her contract was extended despite her Picture being displayed in the staff room for scoring 100% from a mystery shopper.
    Most of us would not like to work under these conditions where you really dont have any rights but as I have noticed at her branch there are many foreign employees, particularly students who obviously are prepared to put up with this.

Trusted Member
    The bigger employers DO take full advantage.

Personally I'd be happy to pay slightly more for my groceries if I knew that the people working there would no longer be treated like pieces of .

Of course the customers are never consulted on such things.

It gets lost in the corporate battle for market supremacy.

Banned
    Half the checkout staff at Tesco in the IOM are filipino and some of the shop floor staff too. There is virtually no other representation from outside the EU, just filipinos.

In M and S the percentages aren't as high but maybe in the region of 20%.

I don't recall seeing this in either Aberdeen or Manchester. But there is no doubt about it, by employing filipinos both M and S and Tesco here have got themselves a good reliable workforce.

Trusted Member
    Wish they had some more in York.

The cousin of the ex does work in another local superstore though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    The bigger employers DO take full advantage.
    Definitely. They work within the regulations but no more than that. And will seek ways around them.

Well done your daughter, Marco ... to be awarded full marks by the "BIG SPENDERS" is no mean feat!

Trusted Member
    Definitely. They work within the regulations but no more than that. And will seek ways around them.
    Yeah...a bit like the politicians and their 'expenses'.

Half the checkout staff at Tesco in the IOM are filipino and some of the shop floor staff too. There is virtually no other representation from outside the EU, just filipinos.

In M and S the percentages aren't as high but maybe in the region of 20%.

I don't recall seeing this in either Aberdeen or Manchester. But there is no doubt about it, by employing filipinos both M and S and Tesco here have got themselves a good reliable workforce.
    Still a few filipinos here but whole areas now taken over by polish and eastern europeans....hardly hear a british voice some days walking around town! Hundreds of thousands of them

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brinormeg View Post
    Still a few filipinos here but whole areas now taken over by polish and eastern europeans....hardly hear a british voice some days walking around town! Hundreds of thousands of them
    There were loads of Poles in Aberdeen when I was up there from 2005 to 2011...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmarco View Post
    I cannot speak for Tesco but Marks and Spencers have in my opinion become really poor employers. They employ alot of their staff now on temporary contracts with the promise of becoming permanent. In my daughters case she started with them in October on a Temporary contract and has never been late or had a day of sick. They keep telling her she is going to be made permanent but every couple of months they simply extend her contract. This means she has no real rights as an employee. She booked to go on holiday with her friends in the summer and gave them 7 months notice of the holiday but still they are unable to confirm her holiday because she is on a Temporary contract. Last week 2 of her colleagues were given less than a weeks notice for no other reason than business has slowed down. A manager told my daughter she would be made permanent in April but when the time came her contract was extended despite her Picture being displayed in the staff room for scoring 100% from a mystery shopper.
    Most of us would not like to work under these conditions where you really dont have any rights but as I have noticed at her branch there are many foreign employees, particularly students who obviously are prepared to put up with this.
    Marks & 'Spensive have been up to these despicable tricks for years , they caught onto it soon after they decided to get most of their clothes produced in foreign sweatshops. I put them on my "avoid whenever possible" list years ago after nearly paying £125 for a suit and just spotting the Made in Romania tag in time

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    Marks & 'Spensive have been up to these despicable tricks for years , they caught onto it soon after they decided to get most of their clothes produced in foreign sweatshops. I put them on my "avoid whenever possible" list years ago after nearly paying £125 for a suit and just spotting the Made in Romania tag in time
    Yes, but Jamie Redknapp likes them....

Trusted Member
    Back in 1991 I took a friend of mine for a holiday over in the Phils.

Just before that he'd bought a couple of dresses for his 2 year-old daughter from M & S in York....labelled 'Manufactured in the Philippines'.
    I suggested he bought her a few more for a tenth of the price while we were in Manila.

I wonder how much they charge now at the M & S branch at Mall of Asia.

(Scuse the idiot in the way of the camera ).

Banned
    I just bought 3 polo shirts at M n S for work. £14 each. I looked at a few elsewhere....so much more expensive.....

Mind, I didnt look in Tescos.....

Trusted Member
    When working in Hong Kong my friend and I used to buy Lacoste, Hugo Boss etc T-shirts from the factory shop for a couple of quid each and then chuck them away after a week or two wearing them on site. Great quality...just couldn't be bothered to wash them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    When working in Hong Kong my friend and I used to buy Lacoste, Hugo Boss etc T-shirts from the factory shop for a couple of quid each and then chuck them away after a week or two wearing them on site. Great quality...just couldn't be bothered to wash them.

When Asda were doing jeans for 3 quid a pair a few years ago I used to buy a pair each week. Saved ironing....

Trusted Member
    Still wearing mine mate.

When Asda were doing jeans for 3 quid a pair a few years ago I used to buy a pair each week. Saved ironing....
    ... Tesco too ... up until recently!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information