Thread: Transit in Amsterdam help

Transit in Amsterdam help

I have booked my wife a klm flight from Manila to Amsterdam she will be in Amsterdam airport for 14 hours before her next easy jet flight to Belfast she has her uk spouse visa
    Will immigration be ok with her being in transit for this long before her flight

Trusted Member
    I don't think they're involved, as officially you're not actually in the country.

Schiphol is quite a nice airport, with good facilities including showers...but wouldn't fancy being there for 14 hours. Would need one hell of a packed lunch to keep within my budget.

Take a look here:

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/eu...m#.T7Lbz1LDOSo

Thanks graham with such a long time for transit at this airport I think I'll book a flight to meet my wife there if my manager will change my rota at work
    But I'll be sure to ask and if it's ok I'll just fly to Amsterdam to meet her flight landing then we can spend that time with one another perhaps if it's possible we could go out of the airport and have a look around Amsterdam whilst waiting

I've a feeling lastlid picked up his wife in Amsterdam also. Maybe when he's back online he may have some helpful info for you. He's usually online everyday.

There is absolutley no problems or issues with UKBA at all whilst in transit, so please don't be stressed about that.
    As Graham says though, 14 hours is a long long transit time. Is there any possibility you can arrive there any earlier? Much better if you will be together for the transit time. If you can possibly do it then I think your wife wil be happy for that.
    Please try Patrick.

I am going to ask my manager tomorrow I am sure she will change my rota to suit
    And then I'll fly there meet her off the flight

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickm1978 View Post
    I have boom my wife a klm flight from Manila to Amsterdam she will be in Amsterdam airport for 14 hours before her next easy jet flight to Belfast she has her uk spouse visa
    Will immigration be ok with her being in transit for this long before her flight
    My wife transited in Amsterdam, however I was there to meet her. Her wait was just a matter of a few hours anyway.

However, as long as she books her bags through to Belfast ( and therefore doesnt have to pick them up in Amsterdam) then she wont see anything of Immigration while in Amsterdam airport.

There appears to be a sort of internal hotel inside the airport. BTW. If needs be.

But as she is in transit she can wait inside the airport. As far as I know there is no "chucking out time". And will not have to clear Immigration in Amsterdam.

I too was a bit worried about this sort of thing and actually phoned the airport beforehand.

If you can get the time off work and can afford it then meeting her at Amsterdam is a great idea. I met my wife as she came off the aircraft in Amsterdam, at the exit gate. Then after a coffee etc flew to Manchester with her.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickm1978 View Post
    ..... perhaps if it's possible we could go out of the airport and have a look around Amsterdam whist waiting
    My take on it is that Dutch Immigration wouldnt allow my wife through immigration in Amsterdam anyway. Schengen rules and all that?

Respected Member
    Hi,
    Over the years I must have spent hundreds of hours in Schiphol Airport, and it remains my favourite airport in Europe to transit through. Strangely enough my wife is there at the moment, she's had a 10 hour transit and spent the time at the 'Yotel' which is an 'airside' hotel near the gates, she's on her way back to our home in the Middle East after a holiday in Spain.

Anyway, to answer your question Patrick, your wife will have absolutely no problems with a long transit like that, however she will be unable to leave the airport unless she obtains a Schengen Visa.
    There are two hotels airside, one is called the Mercure and the other is called the Yotel, and there are actually very close to the 'D' gates for departures to the UK. To stay there would cost around 30 to 40 pounds, and they have showers, toiletries and free wifi. Otherwise you can also book a room in the Mercure for 15 euros for a quick shower.
    Transitting in Amsterdam is generally easy, coming from an International flight to the UK it's all in one terminal, and it's much easier and simpler to transit then Heathrow or Gatwick. There are plenty of restaurants, shops and even a museum.

yes i was going to mention about the hotels, 14hrs would be specially after 12hrs+ on a plane

7hrs wait at singapore was and thats a nice airport too
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
    Hi,
    Over the years I must have spent hundreds of hours in Schiphol Airport, and it remains my favourite airport in Europe to transit through. Strangely enough my wife is there at the moment, she's had a 10 hour transit and spent the time at the 'Yotel' which is an 'airside' hotel near the gates, she's on her way back to our home in the Middle East after a holiday in Spain.

Anyway, to answer your question Patrick, you're wife will have absolutely no problems with a long transit like that, however she will be unable to leave the airport unless she obtains a Schengen Visa.
    There are two hotels airside, one is called the Mercure and the other is called the Yotel, and there are actually very close to the 'D' gates for departures to the UK. To stay there would cost around 30 to 40 pounds, and they have showers, toiletries and free wifi. Otherwise you can also book a room in the Mercure for 15 euros for a quick shower.
    Transitting in Amsterdam is generally easy, coming from an International flight to the UK it's all in one terminal, and it's much easier and simpler to transit then Heathrow or Gatwick. There are plenty of restaurants, shops and even a museum.
    Yotel. That's the one. Couldn't remember the name...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
    I would agree with that.

Respected Member
    Spoke to Marvie before she caught her flight to Muscat and she said that the Yotel was ok, but very small rooms and had to climb a ladder to get into the bed lol. Apparently it reminded her of the cabin she had when she worked on cruise ships. Clean and tidy, ideal for a few hours kip.

I hope she's not afraid of mice .... the terminal is teeming with them, living in the base of the sofas !

Bloody disgusting.
    No man is an island, but Barry is

Thread Information