Thread: Dual Citizenship any Negative Consequences if planning to retire in Philippines

Respected Member

Dual Citizenship any Negative Consequences if planning to retire in Philippines

Hi folks,

My wife was just recently granted ILR

We are both very grateful and happy about that

We understand that my wife can apply for British Citizenship after 1 year.

However, our plans are to retire in Manila in around 7 years...or less

So my question is.....would it have a negative affect when we go to live in Manila if by that time my wife has a Dual Citizenship, as in UK & Philippine passport?

Also, is it straight forward for her to get Philipinnes passport once she has British passport?

I guess it requires a trip to the Philippine embassy in London?

Thanks for all feedback.

Cheers

Trusted Member
    Might be a useful passport out if the Chinese march in.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel1403 View Post
    Hi folks,

My wife was just recently granted ILR

We are both very grateful and happy about that

We understand that my wife can apply for British Citizenship after 1 year.

However, our plans are to retire in Manila in around 7 years...or less

So my question is.....would it have a negative affect when we go to live in Manila if by that time my wife has a Dual Citizenship, as in UK & Philippine passport?

Also, is it straight forward for her to get Philipinnes passport once she has British passport?

I guess it requires a trip to the Philippine embassy in London?

Thanks for all feedback.

Cheers
    Hi there Angel,

Congratulations, your wife is now approaching the final step in her immigration journey.

Of course there is no legal requirement for her to obtain British Citizenship, but there are advantages. Not least when considering the ease with which overseas travel suddenly becomes without usual hassles relating to visa's

Now, when she is granted Citizenship she will also receive details of how to book and attend the British Citizenship ceremony and oath-taking.
    That's where she will be presented with her naturalisation certificate. It's only at this point that British Citizenship is given.
    From this point forward she will technically no longer be a Philippine citizen. Though of course she will still have her existing RP passport.

In order to become a member of that exclusive club of Dual Citizens, she will need to re-acquire her Philippine Citizenship. This is very easily and quickly achieved at a simple but very nice oath-taking ceremony at the Philippine Embassy in London. She will of course be presented with a very nice Certificate proclaiming her rights as a Philippine Citizen.
    These days the Embassy is located in a very nice part of Picadilly, close to the tube stations and, dare I mention, shops.

To be a true dual citizen you need British Citizenship first. The Philippine authorities determined that in these cases your oath and alliegence to the Phils must be the most recent ceremony.

Those who have Dual Citizenship are legally entitled to hold two passports.

Be aware that when your wife attends the Philippine Embassy for her Oath Taking ceremony they will cancel her existing Philippine Passport and request her to apply for a new one.
    I would suggest that she applies for and holds a British Passport before doing this just to cover for any delays in receiving her new Philippine passport in case overseas travel would become necessary.

When my wife applied we were not aware that her existing passport would be cancelled and we had a trip to Philippines planned for about 2 months later.
    Anyway, a Philippine passport is not necessary to travel with and we cleared immigration with her British Passport, Philippine Citizen Certificate and our marriage certificate without any problems and still maintained Balikbayan Status.

Look here at the Philippine Embassy in London website for details of Dual Citizenship:-

Hope this helps

Respected Member

Thank you very much for the detailed reply

By the sound of it its worthwhile getting dual.....Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Hi there Angel,

Congratulations, your wife is now approaching the final step in her immigration journey.

Of course there is no legal requirement for her to obtain British Citizenship, but there are advantages. Not least when considering the ease with which overseas travel suddenly becomes without usual hassles relating to visa's

Now, when she is granted Citizenship she will also receive details of how to book and attend the British Citizenship ceremony and oath-taking.
    That's where she will be presented with her naturalisation certificate. It's only at this point that British Citizenship is given.
    From this point forward she will technically no longer be a Philippine citizen. Though of course she will still have her existing RP passport.

In order to become a member of that exclusive club of Dual Citizens, she will need to re-acquire her Philippine Citizenship. This is very easily and quickly achieved at a simple but very nice oath-taking ceremony at the Philippine Embassy in London. She will of course be presented with a very nice Certificate proclaiming her rights as a Philippine Citizen.
    These days the Embassy is located in a very nice part of Picadilly, close to the tube stations and, dare I mention, shops.

To be a true dual citizen you need British Citizenship first. The Philippine authorities determined that in these cases your oath and alliegence to the Phils must be the most recent ceremony.

Be aware that when your wife attends the Philippine Embassy for her Oath Taking ceremony they will cancel her existing Philippine Passport and request her to apply for a new one.
    I would suggest that she applies for and holds a British Passport before doing this just to cover for any delays in receiving her new Philippine passport in case overseas travel would become necessary.

When my wife applied we were not aware that her existing passport would be cancelled and we had a trip to Philippines planned for about 2 months later.
    Anyway, a Philippine passport is not necessary to travel with and we cleared immigration with her British Passport, Philippine Citizen Certificate and our marriage certificate without any problems and still maintained Balikbayan Status.

Look here at the Philippine Embassy in London website for details of Dual Citizenship:-

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Hi there Angel,

Hope this helps
    after reading this post, i wonder if the same applies in reverse, if at some point i got philippine citizenship, would i have to re apply for duel citizen ship in the same way but in reverse ?

Respected Member
    hello terpe
    thanks for the info that you put about dual citizenship,,,, i was just about to ask if anyone had the info and then read your message.
    one thing though, am i correct that the philippine embassy will not know if someone has taken british citizenship until they apply to retake the philippine oath or will the british embassy inform them.
    i know that they would discover this if renewing phil passport, i am just wondering bec quite a few pinoy in my area have not made any quick moves to aquire dual citizenship.

Quote Originally Posted by john sergison View Post
    hello terpe
    thanks for the info that you put about dual citizenship,,,, i was just about to ask if anyone had the info and then read your message.
    one thing though, am i correct that the philippine embassy will not know if someone has taken british citizenship until they apply to retake the philippine oath or will the british embassy inform them.
    i know that they would discover this if renewing phil passport, i am just wondering bec quite a few pinoy in my area have not made any quick moves to aquire dual citizenship.
    Hi John, your are correct. The Philippine Embassy will only know that when you inform them/apply to re-aquire citizenship.
    In principle there's no need to rush it.
    The only caveat being that legally the Philippine citizenship has been lost (albeit temporarily)

Trusted Member
    I seem to remember there being an oath-taking stall at the Barrio Fiesta in York last week...unless I miss-read the poster.

That would be good.
    You know the Philippine style on these things, you get presented with a fancy certificate fully signed up and sealed and with that desireable red-ribbon.

Thread Information