Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: making plans

even if circumstances enabled me to bring lolita here, i doubt she could get employment,she is an english teacher, but qualifications will be different here too,anyway. we have talked about possible options and im sure we will talk more in november,
    i know if i could bring her here she would for me, but it isnt what she realy wants, she would be home sick,i doubt she would realy be happy here,
    and from another point of view, i need a life something different, get away from tax stupid govermont and stress ,

I'm sure that you will both have an amazing time in November mate I know I will

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    ..........and from another point of view, i need a life something different, get away from tax stupid govermont and stress ,
    That makes 2 of us Stewart

all ready via skype i have been taken on tour Bukidnon, i have been introduced to family and friends,oh and sat in the restaurant or should i say on the table last night, on the morning bus to her work and met lolita's fellow teachers on the bus, all very friendly and welcoming, more touring and family to meet soon again via skype,
    i am very much looking forward to november,
    i am very tempted just to up sticks and make november permanant, but im trying to be sensible for both of us and use november to get close and bond

Stewart, please don't take this the wrong way, but it already sounds so much more exciting so much more honest and with so much more "connection" that there ever was before.
    God Bless dear friend

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Stewart, please don't take this the wrong way, but it already sounds so much more exciting so much more honest and with so much more "connection" that there ever was before.
    God Bless dear friend
    your so right Terpe,
    like the song ,,, this time i know its for real

so if the mountain cant come to mohamid then mohamid must go to the mountain
    Power of love ....best wishes to you and Lolita
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

thanks sars

Trusted Member
    For our ladies in waiting:

PLeased to hear that you have found happiness, Imagine, I hope that it works out well for you

Will this be your first time in the Phils, Stewart?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie1958 View Post
    PLeased to hear that you have found happiness, Imagine, I hope that it works out well for you
    Thank you Rosie

Quote Originally Posted by jamieXXXmaria View Post
    Will this be your first time in the Phils, Stewart?
    yes my first time and will be the furthest iv ever travelled,

furthest iv been up to now was amsterdam, ibiza and canaries so phil will be a real experience for me

we all are making plans, you seem to be ahead of us all , hope it all goes well for you both, november will soon be here

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    we all are making plans, you seem to be ahead of us all , hope it all goes well for you both, november will soon be here
    yes will be here before i know it , i better start packing now

Trusted Member

furthest iv been up to now was amsterdam, ibiza and canaries so phil will be a real experience for me
    You will experience jet lag for the first time then.

My last trip was the worst...took me probably a week in the Phils before my head and sleep patterns were something like right.

Take things very easy and don't make any important decisions during that time.

It takes quite a bit more planning than Europe so here's a few more tips if you've forgotten anything.

Jabs from the doctor - I was out of date, so I had my jabs done before my first trip to be on the safe side.

Malaria tablets - They range in price and can have side effects. On my first trip I took avloclor/proquainil (not sure if I spelt it right but it's close enough). They cost about £15 but they made me feel weird. On my second trip I only took avloclor which are the weekly tablets, cost a few quid and felt OK. But that's up to you.

Diarrhoea tablets - I find the best are Morrisons own brand at 75p per packet. Does the job.

Travel adaptor - Different from Europe so you might need one suitable for the Phils if it's not a multi adaptor.

Travel insurance - I've used Atlas both times. Thanks Dedworth Cost is around £15 per month for a standard policy BUT make sure they cover Mindanao before taking it out - or any other policy you might decide to get.

Money/Credit or Debit cards - Last time out I took UK cash, Peso's and two Visa cards from different UK banks I'm with to be on the safe side. Make sure you inform your bank before you go if you plan to use your cards abroad.

Food - Look out for places like Chow King or Food Court in the malls. You can get a small meal and a drink for around a quid.

Hotels - If you're staying at the family's place all well and good financially but if you're not, look online before you go for suitable affordable accommodation and check out reviews on Trip Advisor and the like. Personally I wouldn't pay online unless it was through Agoda or a similar company due to insecure sites. Alternatively, get your mahal to either phone up or visit the hotel in person to book a room. We've never encountered having to pay a deposit before arriving and pay everything when we leave and the room is always available. If for some reason they don't honour the booking, jot a few other suitable hotels and their contact details down on a piece of paper or into your phone before leaving the U.K thus saving a bit of time searching for some place else.

Trikes - If there's no room in the sidecar, you'll be on the back of the bike seated sideways. Hold on tight, look towards the oncoming traffic and watch your legs especially on narrow roads.

Jeepneys - If someone passes you money on one of these don't mistake it for a sign of generosity. Pass it to the driver. If the driver passes you money, make sure it's your own change before pocketing it.

Crossing the road - Look everywhere, forward, left, right, down, behind and watch at night for the vehicles with no lights.

......and last but not least

Don't get imprisoned in the mall toilets like I did In some cubicles there is a release button on the sliding locks that you need to press and aren't obvious. I thought it was jammed so I had to call for as the climb out was too high with no footholds. Embarassing!

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    You will experience jet lag for the first time then.

My last trip was the worst...took me probably a week in the Phils before my head and sleep patterns were something like right.

Take things very easy and don't make any important decisions during that time.
    a week recoverings a bit tough

Trusted Member
    a week recoverings a bit tough
    Old age mate....and lack of alcohol probably.

In the early days I used to hit the bars straight off the plane and just slept/fell into unconsciousness as and when .

today lolita took me walkabouts again to meet another one of her sisters and friends in a seamstress shop, got a discounted quote for wedding outfits

later on to a karaoke bar where i met more of loilta's friends and was entertained with lolita's singing

Trusted Member
    That's amazing Stewart.

Modern technology does have its uses eh ?

Remember those little phone things they used to have on Star Trek and suchlike, back in the 60s ?
    They could SEE each other too when they were speaking ! Fantastic !

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    That's amazing Stewart.

Modern technology does have its uses eh ?

Remember those little phone things they used to have on Star Trek and suchlike, back in the 60s ?
    They could SEE each other too when they were speaking ! Fantastic !
    not always reliable but still how they make the world so much smaller, amazing how tech has come a long way since we were kids eh

of course sitting in a lap top kind of feels like max headroom

Banned
    sounds like a lot of stress and hastle, the idea is ok but for me its easier, besides i can then escape from aberdeen
    Yes. It is possible to escape from Aberdeen......

Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    Yes. It is possible to escape from Aberdeen......

Trusted Member
    My sister was a Lecturer at Aberdeen Uni for 10 years.

She's also escaped now.

Trusted Member
    Stewart, members have already given you helpful advice here. There’s much information about travel in the Health Section (
    http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....ngue-Fever-Map
    http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....to-Philippines
    http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....5-Vaccinations ) which you and other members may or may not choose to take.
    However, I have just added another post on antimalarials as it’s vital to get this information accurate. Whether or not members choose to take antimalarials depends on where they’re going, and most don’t for trips to the Philippines. That’s an individual decision but my information for those taking antimalarials is not an opinion. I stake my reputation on it being correct.

thank you Doc Alan for your help info links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information