Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gated home or in the hills

I have a steel fence around my yard, so have thought about taking a farm cattle electric fence energiser with me and running it all around. I have caught my tackle on these sorts of fences many times to know that you dont want to be holding it for long without letting go. Its enough to keep people out and can be done quite cheaply.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

what about your chickens steve, i can see bbq chicken on the menu a few times a week

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    I have a steel fence around my yard, so have thought about taking a farm cattle electric fence energiser with me and running it all around. I have caught my tackle on these sorts of fences many times to know that you dont want to be holding it for long without letting go. Its enough to keep people out and can be done quite cheaply.
    it gives a better kick on solid fencing wire rather than the white web strip

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    I don't have that and feel perfectly safe. Maybe you have a lot to worry about if you stroll around flashing your wares.

If you treat your neigbours as people not underlings, you will be part of the community like I am.
    i think you hit the nail on the head there

Banned
    It isn't just the white man that needs security in the Philippines. Some Filipinos do too. I have seen how it is done. A security gate to the housing complex is a start with guards, plural. And a gun or two.

My wife's mother's employer doesn't drive flash cars, which helps. And uses a body guard.

there are many areas in uk, where you need such security, and constantly looking over your shoulder ,

thats reality

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    there are many areas in uk, where you need such security, and constantly looking over your shoulder ,

thats reality
    Yep. Seaton....

all over the uk would you walk out alone at night, i would not

Trusted Member
    Keep prying eyes out:

(This is our family house as it was when we took it over and before my improvements).

makes you wonder keeping in or keeping out,

ls it tho local jail

Trusted Member
    I later had a lot of valuable stuff behind those walls Stewart, in several large aviaries.

Even had to arm the kids:

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    I later had a lot of valuable stuff behind those walls Stewart, in several large aviaries.

Even had to arm the kids:
    are you sure they werent trying to escape

Not sure at the moment, east midlands, rice farm or manila
    Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    and thats just ashby
    Didn't know you've seen my house! Was that you loitering about the other day with intent?
    It's been emontional

amazing thats just what i want, but with a container round the back covered by bamboo, just for security
    Thanks. Trouble with these types of houses is unless you live in them and are doing constant running repairs they do go bad really quickly. For the long term its not really viable. We needed family there al the time in case of "undesirables". MPA fighters are semi active around the area so my movements are quite limited. Not too bad if we're with family though.

At the end of the day I want 1000m2 plot 4-5 bed house with pool and games room, separate quarters for slaves, I mean staff, nice garden with fruit bearing trees, nice view. Easy distance to shops / market / mall. Good bars and resturants and within an hour of an airport. I mean come on surely thats not too much to ask, is it?!
    It's been emontional

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Didn't know you've seen my house! Was that you loitering about the other day with intent?
    Ashby De La Zouche. I used to work out there for a short while, for the water board. Also used to visit Charnwood Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    Ashby De La Zouche. I used to work out there for a short while, for the water board. Also used to visit Charnwood Forest.
    a small world it is,

Banned
    a small world it is,

I bet that the reservoir is nice and full right now....

Respected Member
    [QUOTE=Terpe;373147]
    Do us white guys really need to take extra care when living there?

Yes 100%

Of course many guys get lulled into a false sense of security because they have made many visits to the philippines and nothing ever happened to them

Scrimping on security over there really is a false economy and some guys take that route because of the costs involved

I stayed in a 2 bedroom rented apartment in Mayfield Park in Cainta Manila and i think they had more guards there than residents

I found that part of Manila very pleasent and walking anywhere in Cainta was fine

you need to take no matter where you live, do i lock my doors here in england yes i do ever when i am in the house, so it will be the same anywhere, the best bet is to get a dog beter a big dog,

Respected Member
    I may be in a minority but I think I'm only likely to be happy if my other half is happy - for us, that means either on her parents' farm in Mindanao or in a modest gated community.

Modest because we don't live on the Forbes Park scale - but there are plenty of reasonable enough developments by the likes of Cammelia.

you are not in the minority at all, we all are here to make each other happy, i would do anything for Emma and i know she would do the same for me, you are lucky that you may have a place to live ie the farm, some of us have not got that, yes i am looking where i would like to be and talking all the time with Emma about differant places, i know she would love to be right next to her dad or sister but also Emma knows that is not for me, so a comprimise is to be had, a place in bohol, panglao, then the family can come and stay with us and also we can go and stay with the family, best of both worlds, i am not rich but with what we may have to take with us should last us well and live better then here, like i have said many times i dont want much, just a view and a garden to keep busy, thats both of us keeping busy

Banned
    It's somewhat ironic that if you see a UK house with gates, walls topped with spiked railings, block paved frontage and a white transit van with amber flashing light on top it's owner will normally be a member of the travelling fraternity

Well they continue to develop in Ashby even after the enviroment agency said that the services are running at approx 92-95% capacity!! ew developments will now be built using cess pits. Nice. Trouble is with all the housing being built due to it being a nice place to live everything else is getting left behind. Schools, health centre, library, public transport etc.

I think getting back on track that at first its a matter of finding a reasonable gaff to rent for 6 months or so while you travel around to find a place you feel happy and safe in. Maybe then you can find an exsisting property or plot of land to build on. Its always better to make decisions when you've got your feet on the ground in the place you want to move to, only then you can make an informed decision.
    It's been emontional

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    It's somewhat ironic that if you see a UK house with gates, walls topped with spiked railings, block paved frontage and a white transit van with amber flashing light on top it's owner will normally be a member of the travelling fraternity
    Spot on; found myself living next to one such place, years ago...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CBM View Post
    I may be in a minority but I think I'm only likely to be happy if my other half is happy - for us, that means either on her parents' farm in Mindanao or in a modest gated community.

Modest because we don't live on the Forbes Park scale - but there are plenty of reasonable enough developments by the likes of Cammelia.
    We looked at Carmela. Do you feel they are secure?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CBM View Post
    Spot on; found myself living next to one such place, years ago...
    It makes me laugh that these people most of whom spend their waking hours conning, cheating, intimidating and thieving feel the need to live behind such protection. Another gripe is that most local councils turn a blind planning eye when these so called "travellers" build this type of permanent compound.

Scum of the earth

Respected Member
    We looked at Carmela. Do you feel they are secure?
    Yes and no!

Kay rents a house in a Camella development. In UK terms a Barratt Homes type set up - aimed squarely at OFWs, seafarers - the lower middle classes in a word.

The quality and reliability of the guards in these places is unlikely to be wonderful, perhaps, but on the other hand there is an active Residents Association, we know the neighbours ,(more correctly, Kay, who is an arch networker, appears to know everybody!) the little boy plays in the street (which is almost free of traffic!). I've certainly never thought twice about walking round the place. It is, by Philippines standards, quiet. It seems to me that if you live in the same sort of house and in the same sort of way as a lot of other people, you are fairly safe.

We get cable TV and broadband.

We've never thought twice about inviting the neighbours in - the stuff inside is much the same as in any other house in the development.

you need to take no matter where you live, do i lock my doors here in england yes i do ever when i am in the house, so it will be the same anywhere, the best bet is to get a dog beter a big dog,
    I recommend a Rhodesian Ridgeback

They're bred to hunt lions (I use to have one)

Quote Originally Posted by jamieXXXmaria View Post
    I recommend a Rhodesian Ridgeback

They're bred to hunt lions (I use to have one)
    you had a LION

you had a LION

No, a Rhodesian Ridgeback

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information