Thread: Does the Title deeds show that the mortgage is paid off?

Respected Member

Does the Title deeds show that the mortgage is paid off?

Just wondering if anyone knows if the title deeds show the mortage is paid off? My Fiance submitted the Title deeds of the property to show my parents own the property but just wondering if it show the mortgage is paid off?

I know it says

TITLE ABSOLUTE
    (6.1.1987) proprietor - (my mam and dads name and the address.)

im no expert but the title deeds do not show the property is paid off, and has nothing whatsover to do with the loan,

the title deeds are held by the bank or building society while the mortgage or loan is being paid ,

once the loan is paid it is the owners responsibilty to lodge the deeds with a solicitor for safe keeping,

but it is no proof of a loan on the property being paid up, only ownership

Respected Member

Thanks even though this is very sad news.

the title deeds obviously show ownership,
    i would think there would be a final statement showing the loan is paid off,

like i said im no expert , so perhaps wait for someone else here replies who may know better than i

Banned
    Imagine is right. I think.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowcloud View Post

Thanks even though this is very sad news.
    Can't Mum/Dad get a letter or final mortgage statement from the BS or Bank to show its paid off ?

Just wondering if anyone knows if the title deeds show the mortage is paid off? My Fiance submitted the Title deeds of the property to show my parents own the property but just wondering if it show the mortgage is paid off?

I know it says

TITLE ABSOLUTE
    (6.1.1987) proprietor - (my mam and dads name and the address.)
    The Official copy of the register of Title, obtainable from the Land Registry has a section C Charges Registry. Its here that any remaining legal charges over the property will be listed. ie A Mortgage. If there are none listed then the Mortgage has been paid off and the Absolute Title of the property describes who it belongs to., in your case your parents.

If this is to apply for a visa (which it was in my case) as sponsor, the Land registry copy is acceptable. However it will do no harm to state somewhere that the property has no outstanding Mortgage and is owned outright.

Respected Member
    The Official copy of the register of Title, obtainable from the Land Registry has a section C Charges Registry. Its here that any remaining legal charges over the property will be listed. ie A Mortgage. If there are none listed then the Mortgage has been paid off and the Absolute Title of the property describes who it belongs to., in your case your parents.

If this is to apply for a visa (which it was in my case) as sponsor, the Land registry copy is acceptable. However it will do no harm to state somewhere that the property has no outstanding Mortgage and is owned outright.
    Thanks, my parents paid off the mortgage 15 years ago. But looking at the Land Registry it shows 5 different things ie

4. 13/7/1987 registered charge dated 8th Oct to secure the monies including the futher advances there in mentioned

5. Propertier Northern Rock etc.

I called LR and they said sometimes the Bank doesn't remove those but my parents should call them to discharge them even though they paid off the mortgage 15 years ago. So what I am worried about is that it will hurt my fiances application form that we didn't state somewhere that the property has no outstanding Mortgage and is owned outright as I thought the Land Registry would have proved that.

My Dad said that it means that the bank keep the deeds rather than him but if he pays them £1 then he would have to keep the deeds and would rather than bank kept them than him.

Do you think I still meet the requirements of adequate accommodation?

Thanks, my parents paid off the mortgage 15 years ago. But looking at the Land Registry it shows 5 different things ie

I called LR and they said sometimes the Bank doesn't remove those but my parents should call them to discharge them even though they paid off the mortgage 15 years ago. So what I am worried about is that it will hurt my fiances application form that we didn't state somewhere that the property has no outstanding Mortgage and is owned outright as I thought the Land Registry would have proved that.

My Dad said that it means that the bank keep the deeds rather than him but if he pays them £1 then he would have to keep the deeds and would rather than bank kept them than him.

Do you think I still meet the requirements of adequate accommodation?
    My Solicitor keeps my house Deeds along with any other important papers (wills, policies etc)

The requirements for adequate accomodation i believe are based on the number of people living there and number of rooms.

Thread Information