Thread: Opening Ceremony

Banned

Opening Ceremony

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    I'm actually jealous that my home country, Philippines, would never be able to host such an event like this. I remember asking my dad when I was younger when can we host the Olympics and he just laughed at me and told me "We don't have the place and obviously the money to do it". I think you guys should just stop moaning a bit and be glad that your country can host a great display of sports for the whole world to see. A lot of sports fanatics in the Philippines, including me, wishes we have the ability to do that, especially now that sports in the Philippines is lacking a lot of funding for any sports events, except for Manny Pacquiao of course, (which I'm sure he uses his own money in promoting the sports). Like what Terpe said, I don't think there would be any difference whether UK host it or not. Just be proud you got it this year and of course not forgetting the Diamond Jubilee earlier.
    My wife said exactly the same. Exactly. Several times over. And I think she was gobsmacked that the Philippines were only able to enter some 11 (is that correct?) entrants compared with, say, the UK on 531. We mulled over the various reasons....

I thought that the whole ceremony was great for her in so many different ways. She even sang God Save the Queen in readiness for the Life in the UK test.

Banned
    15 at Beijing, I expect they will put out a bigger team for the Winter Olympics

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    My wife said exactly the same. Exactly. Several times over. And I think she was gobsmacked that the Philippines were only able to enter some 11 (is that correct?) entrants compared with, say, the UK on 531. We mulled over the various reasons....

I thought that the whole ceremony was great for her in so many different ways. She even sang God Save the Queen in readiness for the Life in the UK test.
    Having said that, never say never. I believe that the Philippines has a potentially bright future. And look at South Africa hosting the World Cup.

..........I believe that the Philippines has a potentially bright future....
    I also believe that. And hope that.
    But until the inherent and systemic corruption is eliminated it will always be a non starter imo
    Shame!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    I also believe that. And hope that.
    But until the inherent corruption is eliminated it will always be a non starter imo
    You know a lot more about the Philippines than I do. Do you have much faith in Aquino stamping it out?

You know a lot more about the Philippines than I do. Do you have much faith in Aquino stamping it out?
    No!
    But not because he's not trying.
    Simply due to the fact that he is the first President to ever sincerely have that aspiration. Even his 'own people' have "vested interests"
    I suspect it will take much more than one presidential term.
    Now if he could survive 2 or 3 terms...... who knows.
    Just my opinion.
    Lastlid, I'm far from being knowledgeable about the Philippines

Banned
    No!
    Simply due to the fact that he is the first President to ever sincerely have that aspiration. Even his 'own people' have "vested interests"
    Just my opinion.
    Yes, but more knowledgable than I am. Also, I know that I can get a reasonably balanced view from you, Terpe....

Respected Member
    No!
    Just my opinion.
    I think very little has changed since Pnoy Aquino took power
    yes his public image and soundbites about getting rid of corruption are well meaning and a vote winner
    In a few years time you will probably see him in the same position that Goria Arroyo is in now
    on some corruption charge with all kinds of people coming out of the woodwork and putting the boot in

I am no expert on pinoy politics just my humble observations

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by London_Manila View Post
    I think very little has changed since Pnoy Aquino took power
    yes his public image and soundbites about getting rid of corruption are well meaning and a vote winner
    In a few years time you will probably see him in the same position that Goria Arroyo is in now
    on some corruption charge with all kinds of people coming out of the woodwork and putting the boot in

I am no expert on pinoy politics just my humble observations
    That doesnt bode well for the future....

Banned
    Olympics ceremony: 27m UK viewers watched opening

The UK's TV audience for the Olympic opening ceremony peaked at 26.9m, the BBC has said.

The average viewing figure for Friday's four-hour show was 22.4m, making it the UK's 13th most watched programme ever.

The programme also had an 82% share - almost twice that of the previous high for an Olympic opening ceremony, in Barcelona in 1992.

Highlights of the ceremony, shown on BBC One and BBC HD, included a meeting between the Queen and James Bond.

Millions of people worldwide watched the opening ceremony on television along with 80,000 in the Olympic Stadium.

UK viewing figures for the opening ceremony of the Beijing Games in 2008 averaged at 5m and peaked at 5.4m.

During the Athens games in 2004, 8.68m UK viewers watched the official opening.

The disparity is attributed to the time difference between the host nation and the UK: two hours ahead of British Summer Time for Greece, and seven hours for China.

Friday's viewing figures were "absolutely amazing", tweeted the BBC's director for London 2012, Roger Mosey.

The biggest audience ever in the UK for a single programme remains the 30.5m for EastEnders on 25 December 1986 - but the figures were compiled differently at the time.

Ice-dancers Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean were watched by 23.95m during the 1984 Winter Olympics in Sarajevo - the only Olympic event to make the viewing top 10.

Parachuting Queen
    The ceremony was also the biggest BBC One show since an episode of Only Fools And Horses in 1996.

Opening ceremony viewing figures

Beijing 2008 - 5.06m
    Athens 2004 - 8.68m
    Sydney 2000 - 4m
    Atlanta 1996 - 1.1m
    Barcelona 1992 - 11.3m
    Source: BARB

All ceremonies were broadcast live. Time differences between the host and the UK explain the variations.

BBC One controller Danny Cohen described Danny Boyle's production as an "absolute triumph".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19026694

Thread Information