Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Catholic Bishops Conference say they have got the RH Bill sewn up - depressing...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    Rep. Amado Bagatsing argued against putting RH bill debates to vote August 6, claiming that 6 is the number of the devil.

"Malas po ang 6, dun tayo sa (August) 7," he claimed. "Ang 6 ay numero ng demonyo."

Reminds me of I guy I knew who lived in Bolton who told me that they were trying to get the name of the A666 changed, for the same kind of reason...

Respected Member
    Any minute now some Bishop ,or Congressman or Mike Velarde, will pop up and say the floods are God's Judgement on the Filipinos for the House giving a second reading to the RH Bill...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CBM View Post
    Any minute now some Bishop ,or Congressman or Mike Velarde, will pop up and say the floods are God's Judgement on the Filipinos for the House giving a second reading to the RH Bill...
    Yes. I know they haven't said that yet, but its the kind of crazy thing they seem to say.

Banned
    Really, respect should be shown to others beliefs, no matter what some might think...Fred told you as it is...whether you lot think its mumbo jumbo is neither here or there....so please give it a rest belittling others who dont think the same.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    Really, respect should be shown to others beliefs, no matter what some might think...Fred told you as it is...whether you lot think its mumbo jumbo is neither here or there....so please give it a rest belittling others who dont think the same.
    I have a lot of respect for a wide range of beliefs but am also discerning. I am not a catholic, I am an atheist but I have respect for catholicism and christianity but that doesn't mean I ought to swallow any old nonsense. And there are many filipinos that share that belief too. Many staunch catholics are fed up with the anti RH stance and my wife is one of them. Its perfectly possible to be a devout catholic and not agree with every word that the Bishops have to say.

On the here nor there and mumbo jumbo. This mumbo jumbo affects my wife's family, so it does concern me.

Banned
    "I went to mass on Sundays, prayed the rosary with my late great grandmother, attended a Catholic school, and wrote weekly gospel reflections for my Christian Living (CL) classes. When I was about 13 years old and had to receive Confirmation, I asked my CL teacher why we had to confess to a priest.
    “Because he’s the mediator between you and God,” she said.
    “Oh, but isn’t God omnipresent?” I wasn’t being a smartass, I was just curious. I don’t remember what her answer was, but I remember her asking me after class if I had problems at home. If by “problems,” she meant “freethinking parents,” then I was in trouble."

The thoughts of a Filipina. I think I concur with that line of thinking.

Banned
    You may well concur with that quote but, im afraid the overwhelming Philippine majority, dont.

Banned
    You may well concur with that quote but, im afraid the overwhelming Philippine majority, dont.
    Is that factually accurate?

Banned
    Church attendance alone would give you a clue

Banned
    Church attendance alone would give you a clue
    Just because you go to church doesn't mean you agree with absolutely anything the Bishop might say. Or would you?

Banned
    Twisted facts yes..
    No doubt Fred will correct me if I am wrong but Fred used the expression "twisted facts". I was merely agreeing.

Banned
    Just because you go to church doesn't mean you agree with absolutely anything the Bishop might say. Or would you?
    I would hazard a guess and say hypocrisy isn't all that common in the Philippines unlike in other parts of the globe . So in answer to your question, yes.

Banned
    I would hazard a guess and say hypocrisy isn't all that common in the Philippines unlike in other parts of the globe . So in answer to your question, yes.
    "Hypocrisy isn't all that common in the Philippines". Is that factually accurate? I am surprised you said that. Did you think before typing that?

Trusted Member
    May I humbly suggest that members look at the thread on health of mums and kids ( http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....ippines-and-UK )
    which so far has had less than half the views and replies of this thread. I’m grateful to those members who have contributed to both.
    Originally I hoped the threads related to this topic could be merged – now I’m glad they haven’t. Several times I have made the point that I’m not qualified to make religious or political judgements. It is, however, factually correct that lack of family planning holds countries back. There is a demographic dividend from reduced fertility – more working-age adults and fewer dependents. But what I have also made clear – with qualification – is that many factors are involved in improving health of this vitally important group of people, wherever they live. It may be naďve and unrealistic to hope for all the improvements needed – but members should surely want to understand the facts, devoid of religious and political overtones.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Oh hipocrisy is so common in the Philippines..many people would consider themselves very religious yet if you see them how they live their everyday life, you would just laugh at what they say and do..For example, every time holy week would come, lots of people would do things to ask for God's forgiveness and would do novena, "pabasa", and some penitence..After holy week, back to their old self..like gossiping and fighting with neighbors or even family members themselves, doing illegal stuffs like robbing/snatching/thieving or drugs, and other stuffs like that. None of those things are being told in the Bible that all religious people have read. None of those things are being taught by every religious sector we know. Yet it is prevalent. I just have to watch all my neighbors and you can see the hipocrisy of the so-called religious people have.Just to make it clear, I believe in God as most Filipinos do. But I wouldn't consider myself religious because I have my own way of doing it.

And my opinion about the Catholic church being against the RH Bill, I think they have no clue about things that involve sex as they haven't done it. They should just let the government decide whether to approve it or not.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    May I humbly suggest that members look at the thread on health of mums and kids ( http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....ippines-and-UK )
    which so far has had less than half the views and replies of this thread.
    I’m grateful to those members who have contributed to both.
    Originally I hoped the threads related to this topic could be merged – now I’m glad they haven’t. Several times I have made the point that I’m not qualified to make religious or political judgements. It is, however, factually correct that lack of family planning holds countries back. There is a demographic dividend from reduced fertility – more working-age adults and fewer dependents. But what I have also made clear – with qualification – is that many factors are involved in improving health of this vitally important group of people, wherever they live. It may be naďve and unrealistic to hope for all the improvements needed – but members should surely want to understand the facts, devoid of religious and political overtones.
    I agree. But I can see how the two threads have come about separately. I think this one gathered a bit more momentum at one stage at the expense of the other but both are as significant as the other, the chief difference being the focus on the Catholic bishops and their part that they play on the potential passing of the RH Bill.

From my point of view the facts that you rightly point out are unfortunately exacerbated by the Catholic bishops and thus political and religious overtones are inherently brought into the discussion.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    Oh hipocrisy is so common in the Philippines..many people would consider themselves very religious yet if you see them how they live their everyday life, you would just laugh at what they say and do..For example, every time holy week would come, lots of people would do things to ask for God's forgiveness and would do novena, "pabasa", and some penitence..After holy week, back to their old self..like gossiping and fighting with neighbors or even family members themselves, doing illegal stuffs like robbing/snatching/thieving or drugs, and other stuffs like that. None of those things are being told in the Bible that all religious people have read. None of those things are being thought by every religious sector we know. Yet it is prevalent. I just have to watch all my neighbors and you can see the hipocrisy of the so-called religious people have.Just to make it clear, I believe in God as most Filipinos do. But I wouldn't consider myself religious because I have my own way of doing it.

And my opinion about the Catholic church being against the RH Bill, I think they have no clue about things that involve sex as they haven't done it. They should just let the government decide whether to approve it or not.
    What you have just said there is pretty close to what my wife says.

One very famous song in the Philippines about the hipocrisy of religious people is Banal na Aso, Santong Kabayo..

Banal Na Aso, Santong Kabayo

Kaharap ko sa dyip ang isang ale
    Nagrorosaryo mata niya'y nakapikit
    Pumara sa may kumbento
    Sa babaan lang po sabi ng tsuper kase me naghuhuli
    Mura pa rin nang mura ang ale

Banal na aso, santong kabayo
    Natatawa ako hihihihi
    Natatawa ako hihihihi
    Sa 'yo

Nangangaral sa kalye ang isang lalake
    Hiningan ng pera ng batang pulubi
    Pasensya na para daw sa templo
    Pangkain lang po sabi ng paslit
    Talagang di ba pupwede?
    Lumipat ng pwesto ang lalake

Natatawa ako hihihihi
    Natatawa ako hihihihi
    Sa 'yo

Anuman ang iyong ginagawa sa iyong kapatid
    Ay siya ring ginagawa mo sa akin

Natatawa ako hihihihi
    Natatawa ako hihihihi
    Sa 'yo

Translation in English is below..

In front of me was a lady
    Praying the rosary with her eyes closed
    She asked to be dropped off at the convent
    The driver replied "To the rightful unloading area lest I'll be caught."
    But the lady started cursing.

Chorus:
    Holy dog, saintly horse
    I am laughing, Hi hi hi hi
    Holy dog, saintly horse
    I am laughing, Hi hi hi hi
    At you.

A man is preaching on the streets
    A beggar boy asked him for alms
    "I am sorry," he said, "This is for the temple."
    And the child begged, "Just for my food, please,
    Can you not give me anything?"
    But the preacher moved somewhere else.

Repeat Chorus

Whatever you are doing to your brothers
    Is what you are also doing to me.

Repeat Chorus
    *** The song is about the irony of people pretending to be holy when their acts are obviously in contrast to what they project to be, or preach.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    which so far has had less than half the views and replies of this thread. I’m grateful to those members who have contributed to both.
    Exactly.

Respected Member
    We were expecting this one, of course...

Considering how long He has had to practice, God's aim is lousy - did He only drown "pro-RH" Filipinos, or did He just drown poor ones?

Or were the floods perhaps a consequence of overpopulation forcing people to build "informal housing" (shacks) on flood plains and hillsides?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CBM View Post
    We were expecting this one, of course...
    How prophetic.

Banned
    I stand corrected I was just standing up for my family's country.

Banned
    I stand corrected I was just standing up for my family's country.
    But the way I see it is that you aren't standing up for the Philippines if you are anti RH Bill.

Banned
    But the way I see it is that you aren't standing up for the Philippines if you are anti RH Bill.
    Where did you get that from???...I stated way back im pro RH Bill.

It was pointed out that more than likely the majority of the population would, given the vote, would side with the Bishop.

What would you have them do....like Eira..republic of Ireland..have them vote until they vote the right way

Banned
    A bit of humour. My kind of sermon. I believe many Filipinos love this guy.....

Banned
    I'll agree with that...good ol Mr Bean, flying the British flag.

Respected Member
    Talking of (unintentional) comedy, this you HAVE to read.. Senator Tito Sotto, self appointed leader of the "anti RH Bill" bloc in the Senate, has been caught by my favourite Filipino organisation, Filipino Freethinkers, cribbing a large chunk of his speech on the evils of the Pill from a US writer's blog about recipies.

We all know Sotto used to be a comedian on "Eat Bulaga" (and, this being the Philippines, the grandson and nephew of other Senators, but I don't think he was intending to be this funny:

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story...-about-recipes

Incidentally,0nce you have read that, follow the link to Filipino Freethinkers if you have a moment...

Banned
    Not read it....no moment!.....the Filipino freethinkers sounds like our liberal equivalent and where has that namby pamby thinking got us.....in the mire, country ruined.....Disband you freethinkers of the Philippines...you know it makes sense

Respected Member
    Go on - take a look - I dare you!

A letter to Sen. Sotto... http://pssst.com.ph/dear-sen-sotto
    -=rayna.keith=-

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information