Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My 5 year old stepchild learning tagalog

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    yes, yes they are

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    Cant forget your roots and shouldn't

But on a slight tangent here ........ I have met with several filipino people here in the UK with friends and at the meeting in Scarborough, and you know what happened when the girls got together..... they all talked to eachother in .... TAGLOG ... nuff said!!
    THAT's why it's a good idea for us to learn Tagalog too.

No secrets !

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    I never said only teach in Tagalog, of course there are many words in many languages that have the same use where no other word will do, we see this in what we call 'tagalish' right? as well as words from other languages. In English we use a lot of French terms/words for things because of our close historical bond.

But the continued dilution of a native language will also, I think harm the culture as you become 'more' westernised.

Half of the magic of being in a relationship with somone from another country is because of the differences between you, I dont want my son to lose the 'magic' of being able to communicate with his elders who, maybe have not been as fortunate as him to be free to travel the world. Imagine him not being able to tell his grandmother about the places he has been or things he has seen. She speaks no English, so how else can he talk to her.

English has it's place of course and advances those who want to push forward, i have no problem with that.
    My dad's friend who has a daughter who grew up in America and was only born in the Philippines can speak Tagalog very well. It's because they speak to her in the house in Tagalog. So when she studied in Manila by the time she got the age of 18, she didn't have to adjust in the language that much. She never did learn any Tagalog in school, yet she speaks fluently in Tagalog.

I don't think learning English or speaking English most of the time is a dilution of the native language. I don't think the culture would be westernized just because of frequently using English. If the parents would guide children of their attitude towards their culture and their attitude towards the western culture, there won't be any problem with it. I can see lots of westernized Filipinos in the Philippines who take pride of their Filipino culture, even fight for it whenever someone insults it. It's the family unit who would be the 1st responsible for whatever the child learns. The environment are just additional help. But I don't think the kid should be deprived of any advances when it comes to education.

-=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Thinking about it it must be confusing for her. I dont know the difference between visayan and tagalog. My wife speaks visayan to her and she understands that. I dont know about you guys but you maybe cleverer than me but I feel embarassed to got to another country only speaking one language fluently. Nearly every country can speak english.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    Thinking about it it must be confusing for her. I dont know the difference between visayan and tagalog. My wife speaks visayan to her and she understands that. I dont know about you guys but you maybe cleverer than me but I feel embarassed to got to another country only speaking one language fluently. Nearly every country can speak english.
    Me too. But I could never have learned Spanish and French and Arabic and Russian and Tagalog. So I guess I shouldn't feel embarrased. But I do appreciate that I am lucky to been born in a country whose language is used as either a first or second language in so many parts of the world.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    I can see lots of westernized Filipinos in the Philippines who take pride of their Filipino culture, even fight for it whenever someone insults it. It's the family unit who would be the 1st responsible for whatever the child learns. The environment are just additional help. But I don't think the kid should be deprived of any advances when it comes to education.

I have seen that too. Yes.

Trusted Member

Great example Graham of what I would like for my son.. to be fluent in both languages. I don't see anything wrong with that, it is am asset.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Trusted Member
    I agree Steve...especially if he's going to be living there or regularly visiting.

Last time I took the kids back to their home (provincial) town, the relations....hundreds of them, were dumbfounded that they could no longer converse in their native language.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Never fail to communicate with your child in Tagalog. If one of the parent is Filipino, let him/her talk to the kid in Tagalog. Kids will pick it up easily. That kid in graham's video is pure American and was taught by his step mother to speak Tagalog and got fluent because of his Filipino playmates.

-=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Well I did not expect this much input looks like its a good talking point. Thanks guys. I remember the last time I went over in June (Ericka my stepdaughter) was always saying mama speak english. Bless her. Well she knows I havnt got a clue what they are saying.

Banned
    Well I did not expect this much input looks like its a good talking point. Thanks guys. I remember the last time I went over in June (Ericka my stepdaughter) was always saying mama speak english. Bless her. Well she knows I havnt got a clue what they are saying.
    Sorry to wreck your thread Andy.

Out of interest Andy, are you able to chat to your stepdaughter in English?

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    Maybe they would replace Science with Religion...
    Religion should have no place in school

Steve can you speak or read Tagalog ? after more than 10yrs of being with the misses the only word i needed to know was PERA.
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Of coarse lastlid. We talk everyday.

Banned
    Of coarse lastlid. We talk everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    Steve can you speak or read Tagalog ? after more than 10yrs of being with the misses the only word i needed to know was PERA.

Well, put it this way Joe, I am able to pick up words in a conversation that i have an understanding of but would not be able to hold a conversation back. I get the 'gist' of what is being said and can read emotion in a conversation. Charie often asks, did you understand that? and when i give her my explaniation of what I thought I heard, then I get it close to right.. say, 60% of the time. Other times I dont have a clue. I would love to learn as my son learns, I mean when he is old enough to read simple books, but that will have to wait until we are together again.

Trusted Member
    Huwag abala gamit ang google ...ito ay kahila-hilakbot at ay maaaring maging sanhi ng lahat ng mga uri ng pagkalito.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Huwag abala gamit ang google ...ito ay kahila-hilakbot at ay maaaring maging sanhi ng lahat ng mga uri ng pagkalito.
    I just got my wife to translate the above.

"Aang lalim naman ng Tagalog mo" she said. I really wouldnt have a clue...except for google of course.

Banned
    Just having a chat with the Mrs.

On the aforementioned topic of loss of mother tongue, heritage and culture.....

Lets say Tagalog is indeed taught more in Philippine schools and English less so. What about the Visayas, for example? Does Tagalog then get permission to ride roughshod over the other native Filipino languages. If so then that is not so different from electing to use English in all Philippine schools. I see English as a unifying language, throughout the islands.

She has just been explaining the Kapampangan language to me as an example. What will happen to that? Or Ilongo? Will that not be driven to obscurity in the same way, if Tagalog is the focus in schools? For many their culture and heritage might be potentially lost to whatever language is selected, whether it be English, Visayan, Tagalog or whatever....

Is there such a thing as Visayan TV? If not then why not? If you switch on the telly in an area outwith Luzon should you be bombarded with Tagalog in preference to English or any other of the many Philippine languages? How happy is a native of Cebu or Dumaguete to face the extinction of their language in favour of Tagalog? Might they prefer English as the unifying language?

Banned
    There certainly is some interesting viewpoints out there on the language(s) of the Philippines.

MANILA, Philippines - "A student of the Ateneo de Manila University reaped criticism from Filipino netizens after writing a column that described the Filipino language as "not the language of the learned."

The article "Language, learning, identity, privilege" was written by James Soriano for his iThink column and published in the Manila Bulletin website. Curiously, the article was inaccessible Friday afternoon but could still be found via Google cache.

The names James Soriano has also started trending in microblogging site Twitter, while links to his original post circulated on Facebook.

In his column, Soriano described English as the language of learning, having been raised in a home conducive to learning English. He said he learned to think in English and used the language to learn about numbers, equations and variables.

On the other hand, he said Filipino was the language of the streets and what "we used to speak to the people who washed our dishes."

Soriano said learning the Filipino language was practical because "it was how you spoke to the tindera when you went to the tindahan, what you used to tell your katulong that you had an utos, and how you texted manong when you needed 'sundo na.''"

"These skills were required to survive in the outside world, because we are forced to relate with the tinderas and the manongs and the katulongs of this world. If we wanted to communicate to these people — or otherwise avoid being mugged on the jeepney — we needed to learn Filipino," he said.
    "
    http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/lifestyle...line-firestorm

And this for another slant...

"According to Miss International 1979 title holder Melanie Marquez, she will “support” Miss Philippines-Universe candidate Shamcey Supsup if she will speak in Tagalog in the coming Miss Universe 2011 beauty pageant to be held in Brazil on the 12th of September this year. Tagalog is a southern Luzon dialect that was branded as the Philippines’ “national language” during its late Commonwealth and early Independence years.
    Rather than speak in English, which most Filipinos are generally proficient in, Marquez encourages Supsup to “be natural” during the pageant. Implying that part of being “natural” is to speak in Tagalog, she suggests that Supsup avail of the services of an interpreter if possible…

"Tagalog is a language long considered to be short on tools to support an ability in its speakers to articulate intellectual and scientific concepts. Its continued taking up of classroom time in Philippine schools is seen to be one of the contributing factors to Philippine society’s inability to build an ethic of technological achievement and intellectual pursuit…"
    "

http://getrealphilippines.com/blog/2...speak-tagalog/

Well, put it this way Joe, I am able to pick up words in a conversation that i have an understanding of but would not be able to hold a conversation back. I get the 'gist' of what is being said and can read emotion in a conversation. Charie often asks, did you understand that? and when i give her my explaniation of what I thought I heard, then I get it close to right.. say, 60% of the time. Other times I dont have a clue. I would love to learn as my son learns, I mean when he is old enough to read simple books, but that will have to wait until we are together again.
    i had good intentions to learn a few times over the years, but always gave up, always manana
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Banned
    i had good intentions to learn a few times over the years, but always gave up, always manana
    Joe. I am the same as you.......my wife has taught me a few words but I forget them the next day....

i have secretly thought of learning tagalog so i know what the misses and stepson are talking about, and continue to act clueless

i should thou, the number of times i hear 'pera'

Banned
    i have secretly thought of learning tagalog so i know what the misses and stepson are talking about, and continue to act clueless

i should thou, the number of times i hear 'pera'
    Hehe.

I keep hearing 'malibog' ........... not a clue

i thinks its time we guys started a few online classes in the 'secret boys area' and learn't what the misses is up to

Trusted Member
    Now there's a thought.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information