Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sending money to Fili

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Respected Member

Sending money to Fili

Hi everyone. Can anyone tell me a better (less expensive) way to send money to Fili apart from Western Union. The service is excellent but at over 10% commission it is starting to make me think there must be a better way. ant suggestions, banks are not common in Surigao.

I also use western union mark but before that I used post offices but still a bit expensive.Its a bit hard for us to find a cheaper money to send to PI really...If you have account in a building society they still charge you £20 before that hubby send money to PI using his bank and charge him for about £40
    to loved and beloved is the greatest joy on earth...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by barnsley-mark View Post
    Hi everyone. Can anyone tell me a better (less expensive) way to send money to Fili apart from Western Union. The service is excellent but at over 10% commission it is starting to make me think there must be a better way. ant suggestions, banks are not common in Surigao.
    Soon you will receive lots of suggestions on the subject by other forum members, but personally I use

www.xoom.com

I don't remember how they work the charges out, but it is a hell of a lot cheaper than the banks or Western Union. Recently I sent $750, and the charge was $30, so it seems like less than 5%.

You can choose cash payment directly into your wife's hands, anywhere in R.P., or bank account deposit.
    The funds are taken out of your Debit/Credit card, or you can use a paypal account.

Alternatively, I am considering opening another current account and send my wife the debit card by snail mail, and PIN number by phone. But I don't know wether I will have enough time for that, as we are currently waiting for her Visa.
    As I do all my banking online, It would be much easier, in a sense, for me, to keep an eye on things and top the account up, whenever it needs topping up. But I am not sure to what the bank would charge on withdrawals abroad. But certainly less than WU.

Whichever way you choose, it will cost money .

All the best.

london well away from those people up norf
    Im sure you have searched because there have been loads of threads on this subject as its an importnat one.

Have used xoom which is pretty good but takes time and your money unless im doing it wrong gets changed to dollars and then pesos so exchange rates can affect you if that combination of exchanges is not favourably at the mo.

We also use phill remitance where we pay the money into there account and then let them know where we want it paid to and its send normally a better rate. Looking at PNB where you can open an account and simply do a transfer people say its an even better rate. There are a few well established companies in the UK who have more convient and cheaper services for particular banks both here in the UK.

With regards western union which is one of the best in an emgency ie they have agents all over the place in the UK and Phill and the money can be there in mintues. The missus got sent a card which gives her a discount of about 50 percent i think on the fee (will have to check that). Also if you can wait two days you can get a half price rate with western union as well which with the card makes it not to expensive.

Also a quick note be careful if using a credit card with any of these companies as it may be treated as a cash withdrawal which can cost you more in intrest and possibly a fee i guess.

There are quite a few remittance companies which are long time established in the UK, but do be careful as in london there was recently a collaspe of a company which speclizised in remittance to bangladesh and the report highlighted that there are few regulations apart from money laundering laws to look after the consumer. But now a few mps have realised its an important thing to a growing number of people around the country so hopefully something will be done.

Banned
    Try IREMIT. They have free visa card to be send to your beneficiary until 30th of July. They chage 6£ for money to be sent. Before I was using post office which cost 12-18£ to send but I prefer this one. Try to visit their site http://www.myiremit.com/ . You can apply online. I am fulltime at work so I'm also using online banking.
    Goodluck

Respected Member
    In the past we've used Westion Union, Xoom, and Phil Remit, but have mainly been using PNB for the last year or so.

Costs £5 to send up to £1000 from a UK debit card to a Philippines bank account (including non-PNB accounts) with a good exchange rate. Also they will process it the same day if they receive it before 3pm Uk time.

I have a card from Western Union whitch I get £5 discount when sending it in minutes. and I get points. wow maayo kaayo

If you send it to me, I'll make sure it does not get there.....same as Phil Post
    Keith - Administrator

Banned
    Another suggestion that people seemed to have missed is a pre-paid debit card.

Basically, its a Chip and PIN Maestro debit card, where you can withdraw funds and can be re-loaded instantly via the internet, post office or paypoint. Theres no overdraft or direct debits, so its ideal for holidays or you can send the card to your loved one in the Philippines and just reload the card as required.

I've used one for a 6 months, and its handy on holiday, no need to carry all that cash, and if the card is lost or stolen, you'll get a replacement.

LastMinute Travelcash is the one I use, or heres a list:

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/card...eature=Prepaid

why keep troubling with theese money transfer services?

i had an extra bank account in here, that i orderd an extra visa card into.
    I gave her that visa card, so she can use in the philippines.
    it takes only a minute for me to transfer money to that account, and she can go
    directly to a ATM and redraw her money right away. Its cheap, without extra hussle and bussle.

use RCBC peso express phone this number 02080903030 very cheap just £5 charge

Newbie (Restricted Access) copyhardwick's Avatar
    hi i have used xoom in the past my wife is here now but they definitely work cheapest and you can use paypal too

Banned
    ( banks are not common in Surigao.

As I mentioned in my previous post, Xoom will deliver the cash directly into her hands, at her home, by courier.
    All is required is some kind of ID.
    Ok, I admit, it is not the fastest method, but the most convenient if there aren't many ATMs about, or WU offices. And 3/4 days wait, ain't that long.

Respected Member
    I have been using PhilRem, and I've only been paying £ 7.00 so far for the service (bank to bank) usually 5-7 days, not sure though if it still the same charge now.

Inasmuch as I love my dear country, I don't feel I can trust them when it comes to posting letter/packages to them . It will only arrived delayed big time, but with the box opened and all over the place!! Parcel Force, in my experience, is no good at all, as trying to chase them is like Sorry for anyone who works for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Liliput39 View Post
    I have been using PhilRem, and I've only been paying £ 7.00 so far for the service (bank to bank) usually 5-7 days, not sure though if it still the same charge now.

Inasmuch as I love my dear country, I don't feel I can trust them when it comes to posting letter/packages to them . It will only arrived delayed big time, but with the box opened and all over the place!! Parcel Force, in my experience, is no good at all, as trying to chase them is like Sorry for anyone who works for them.

Still 7 pounds and bank account to bank account can take just 1-2 days we find i think it depends on the banks used here and in phill.

With a lot of the remittance companies it depends on the banks or pick up points they use and their relationship with them in determining fees and transfer time.

Quote Originally Posted by aromulus View Post
    As I mentioned in my previous post, Xoom will deliver the cash directly into her hands, at her home, by courier.
    All is required is some kind of ID.
    Ok, I admit, it is not the fastest method, but the most convenient if there aren't many ATMs about, or WU offices. And 3/4 days wait, ain't that long.
    xoom also use cenuna lehillier (or however spelt) which i belive has branchs in loads of places which may help some also.

We always use belwood throu barclays bank to bank £7

Respected Member
    I always use western union,.i mostly pay the fee of around 12.00 so that my anghel can get within minutes .I dont have a credit card,just a basic bank card and acount,so im just grateful i can send money to her ,because i know she struggles like many many others .

I use PNB remitance It only cost £5 and it gives a good exchange rate.

Banned

My husband also he used xoom thats the one cheapest way.

The best way to send money is with a Global Philipino Money Card.Get your wife or girlfriend to get one from Philippines National bank in the Philippines Then you can register online at PNB London,then send a copy of passport and a utility bill (need to be certified by lawyer,doctor,accountant)by post to PNB London.24 hours later you can send money.Cost £5 to send up to £1000

Try CPN Group at http://cbngrupo.net . If your bank in the Philippines is Banco De Oro you can transfer the money in 5 minutes directly from the UK to any BDO branch for £5 and a good exchange rate. I use it all the time, they have Filipino staff also so are very well versed in this. They can also setup direct debit from your local bank to CPN and pay it on a regular basis without you evening moving a muscle. To me this is the fastest, cheapest and most secure Hope this helps.

we pay cash into any natwest bank using a metrobank account number and sort code and it clears straight away and doesnt cost a thing.

i can also transfer money via firstdirect over the phone, this takes 2 days , but because you are transferring to a uk sort code it doesnt cost anything.

metro bank is in london i think ?

hi Mark,try thise one www.xoom.com the service is excellent and cheapest as well.

Respected Member
    Hey guys! Why use NatWest or other bank accounts that charge? If you get a Nationwide Flex Account (I think thats its name), you can withdraw cash from an ATM in the Philippines without any bank charges and the exchange rate is not too bad. I think this is the only account that does this. All you have to do is open account in UK and send the card out to the Philippines. Obviously the PIN number will be sent separately!

Ian

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by IanB View Post
    Hey guys! Why use NatWest or other bank accounts that charge? If you get a Nationwide Flex Account (I think thats its name), you can withdraw cash from an ATM in the Philippines without any bank charges and the exchange rate is not too bad. I think this is the only account that does this. All you have to do is open account in UK and send the card out to the Philippines. Obviously the PIN number will be sent separately!

Ian

I agree with you Ian. I am using Nationwide Flex Account for 6 yrs. They don't have charges at all and their exchange rate is very, very good. Best recommendation to use Nationwide in the Philippines.

Devon - no - Oxford - no - Stalybridge - no - errr - UK

Smile

I also use my Nationwide Flex Account card here and have never paid any charges.

The other day, money exchanges in the malls were giving between 87 and 88.5 pesos to the pound. I used my NFA card and got 88.8.

BTW - can anyone tell me the best bank to go to for Hanna and I opening a joint account over here in Phils?

Your advice would be appreciated.

Happy Guy Fawkes day everyone.

Al.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I also use my Nationwide Flex Account card here and have never paid any charges.

The other day, money exchanges in the malls were giving between 87 and 88.5 pesos to the pound. I used my NFA card and got 88.8.

BTW - can anyone tell me the best bank to go to for Hanna and I opening a joint account over here in Phils?

Your advice would be appreciated.

Happy Guy Fawkes day everyone.

Al.
    Hi Sir Alan try METROBANK "You're in good hand"

BTW Happy Guy Fawkes here in phil my beb told me he's celebrating too...by burning rubbish

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information