Smart Telecoms discontinued its cheap “ Plug n Talk “ call and text service at the end of July, without notice to agents or customers. The dedicated hardware – a USB communication device which allowed you to call / text any mobile or landline in the Philippines ( originally costing around P 4000 ) - is now useless. I’m told ( www.callingnow.co.uk , 0207 987 3749 ) that there are no plans to re-introduce the service. This is a retrograde step, even if the hardware sometimes failed to work due to corruption of the devices file system.

There is a replacement web based soft phone (https://www.talktipid.com/ ) which appears to lack features of the hardware device - although calls can be made, it can send but can’t receive text messages.

The SIM card load can still be used if the device was set to “ Roaming “ before removal, by inserting in an unblocked mobile phone. Of course texts between UK and Philippines are more expensive than they were with " Plug ' Talk " - around P20 each, and calls may not be possible.

Texts with a UK SIM card from a UK mobile network are around 35p each ; calls are well over £ 1 / minute, and there may not be good connection. Vodafone does have monthly mobile contracts which include “ international packages “ at over £4 / month, reducing costs of calls and texts. They also have packages of 100 free texts / month, on request, for long term customers such as myself.

I don’t have experience of any cheap, reliable alternatives for making mobile or landline phone calls between UK and Philippines.

Computer-computer calls – with or without video – such as Skype or Yahoo, usually, but not always, allow good communication at no cost.