Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Essential items for visiting the Philippines,just for fun .

Banned
    beautiful belfast-now/beautiful bayawan-future!
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch View Post
    always go using the meter. dont let the driver ask for a fixed fare when ur in a cab. most of the taxi drivers here are ********.

I've heard about that Ate Mich! LOL!

Ive heard that they'll scam you so badly! but i believe that marivic will be really street smart! lol!

You can also start buying chocolates and other gifts now Jeff and send them by door to door package and make it ship the same day you arrive in PI? I don't know if it's convenient doing it in UK but if yes then you might save yourself a lot of stress carrying all those stuffs!!!And you can bring LOTS OF CHOCOS for everyone!!!

'We dance in a circle and suppose, while the secret sits in the middle and knows'

R.F.

Banned
    im planning to send some chocolates and other gifts to arrive on the day when i arrive ( with my usual suppliers) as a kind of present! I'll get the greeting cards done in bisaya, just as an added treat! I know mar's family will love this

Quote Originally Posted by 5olidsnake View Post
    exchange your sterling money in phils, you will find many moneychangers in areas like Ermita (you will get a better rate than england)
    Hi, Jeff. Exchanging money in Ermita is not always safe especially when you don't really know which exchange shop you're going to. The safe way I can suggest is to bring Traveler's cheque. This cheque has your name on it so nobody can cash it. If you lose it or stole from you, you can ring up AMERICAN EXPRESS to replace it. There's a code on the cheque for you to remember or write it down. Check exchange rate for UK pounds and US dollars as you may get more for your money with US dollars at the moment.So check the rate before you do anything and enjoy your holiday.
    A winning horse doesn't know why it runs in a race.
    It runs because of the hits of pain.
    Life is a race. God is your rider.
    So if you're in pain,
    then think God wants you to win

Banned
    did i mention the san miguel?

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aromulus View Post
    Sod CK boxers........

Get the Matalan ones, hell of a lot cheaper, do exactly the same job, last much longer and the colours don't fade in the wash.

ha ha,mine arent the real thing !!!,i know because they were a birthday gift from my daughter,and yes Matlans a very good place to shop too!!!! CK =cheap knickers for my gf ,kust kiddin !!!!!
    Thanks for all your kind help here and on other posts ,its a truly great help ,and everyone elses advice too!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
    ....and everyone elses advice too!!!
    I never gave any but thanks for the thanks anyway........I thank you
    Keith - Administrator

Respected Member
    If the nice bloke / waiter at your hotel asks if you would like to go out for a drink, remember this means he expects you to pay! for him and his entire family too.

Devon - no - Oxford - no - Stalybridge - no - errr - UK

Smile

Hi Jeffro,

I agree with most things people have said in this thread.
    Just one or two personal observations though...................

My GP said that I didn't need any injections for Manila, Cebu or Cebu Province. He had an (up-to-date) list of low to high risk areas.
    He STRONGLY advised against taking anti-malaria tablets. He said the side effects were worse than getting malaria itself (jokingly.)
    I have a brill doctor and so I took his advice and just took 'Jungle Formula' anti-mossie spray (smells bloody horrible - but it works) - and some gel for the (inevitable) bites.

Hanna will not get into a taxi until she has seen the driver's ID - most of the time it is displayed in the cab. We always travel 'on the meter' and NEVER take a fixed price ride.

Yes - change - plenty of 20 and 50 peso notes - a MUST!!!

I take pound notes with me and change them at SM - better than ATMs.

Take a few small towels - to wipe yourself down with - ESSENTIAL. Oh - and plenty of t-shirts or vests - I used to go through 3 or 4 a day - whereas here in England I can wear the same t-shirt for up to 8 weeks before it starts to smell.

The money belt thing is a great idea - leave your important docs in the hotel safe or at the house - plus, a money belt can be handy for carrying plenty of peso coins (for jeepnies and tricycles.)

I reckon on 10% for tips - they seem happy with that.

I might be wrong on some things I've said here - and I know I've repeated most things - but - I hope it helps my friend.

Al

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    I never gave any but thanks for the thanks anyway........I thank you
    its in advanceand thanks for the thanks too

Respected Member
    in England I can wear the same t-shirt for up to 8 weeks before it starts to smell.
    ha ha Alan,im sure its 10 weeks!!!!,just kiddin,like you !!!
    Do you know the cost of the injections?? The anti-malaria tablets sound risky,but i have to travel south after Cebu,and then theres rabies??,still ,im hoping to return !!!!
    thanks Alan and everyone!!! ,keith as well

Respected Member
    talcum powder is great for `sticky` face sindome. I didnt believe my GF until i tried it!
    Oh no - i sound like a wuss now! lol

Respected Member
    Oh and you are right about the anti malaria tablets, they are killers!

Smile

Jeffro - sorry - I don't know the price of the injections - I didn't have any.
    Whereabouts are you going 'South of Cebu?' Rabies - easy - just don't touch any animals (there aren't many Millwall fans in the Phils. anyway!)

Mark - you mean talc on the face inhibits sweating??

Respected Member
    Talc certainly seems to work wonders. It stops you feeling sticky and greasy. I have no idea why because i thought it would make things worse.
    As for Rabbies i was in the centre of Surigao city with rats walking over my bare feet!
    Then there are all the muggings etc, be careful when travelling anywhere remote - everyone has a mobile and will know where you are.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Jeffro - sorry - I don't know the price of the injections - I didn't have any.
    Whereabouts are you going 'South of Cebu?' Rabies - easy - just don't touch any animals (there aren't many Millwall fans in the Phils. anyway!)

Mark - you mean talc on the face inhibits sweating??
    I am heading to Pagadian City Alan,Mindanao,but there is a lot of trouble starting over Mindanao now,and for once its not Millwall fansJust how big a suitcase will i need,ha???

Smile

OK Mark - talc it is then.

I ALWAYS took off my jewellery - even my watch - the only thing I wore was my wedding ring (I shall NEVER take that off.)

Hanna and I just NEVER went to any remote places - let's face it - taxis, jeepnies etc are so cheap that you really have no reason to be walking the streets - especially at night.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barnsley-mark View Post
    Talc certainly seems to work wonders. It stops you feeling sticky and greasy. I have no idea why because i thought it would make things worse.
    As for Rabbies i was in the centre of Surigao city with rats walking over my bare feet!
    Then there are all the muggings etc, be careful when travelling anywhere remote - everyone has a mobile and will know where you are.
    As for Rabbies i was in the centre of Surigao city with rats walking over my bare feet!.......,wow its starting to sound like a mission !!!! ,im on heart tablets now ,honestly!!!,ill ask my Gp for more!!!!!!!
    Thanks Mark,im really looking forward to my visit more than ever,and feeling so relaxed,,ha ha,just kidding

Smile

Hmmm - sorry Jeffro - not been to Mindanao. Perhaps another member can help you there?

Al

Respected Member
    Hi ya Jeffro,
    Dont worry - all the other experiences will leave your head spinning! i cannot describe how i felt when i was there in April. I have travelled the world, but never before have i felt so at home or welcome. I cannot wait to get back over there in October or november.

Banned
    in England I can wear the same t-shirt for up to 8 weeks before it starts to smell.
    ha ha Alan,im sure its 10 weeks!!!!,just kiddin,like you !!!
    Do you know the cost of the injections?? The anti-malaria tablets sound risky,but i have to travel south after Cebu,and then theres rabies??,still ,im hoping to return !!!!
    thanks Alan and everyone!!! ,keith as well
    I strongly recommend anti-malaria tablets.
    I never had any side effects from taking them.

The one to avoid is LARIAM, this one is full of side effects.

The one I suggest, and it works is

CHLOROQUININE & PROGUANIL ...

£ 16 / 17 from Boots the Chemists.
    I also had the full course of shots.
    Having spent many years working in the merchant navy, visiting beautiful countries with extremely exotic diseases, I couldn't stress any stronger the foresight of having such injections.
    I did see some unfortunate people falling victim to cholera, hepatitis A, and dengue fever... But read on...

PHILIPPINES
    GENERAL INFORMATION

The Philippines consists of more than 7,000 islands in the South Pacific, of which 880 are inhabited. The Philippine climate is mostly hot and humid. Three seasons are defined: the hot, dry season, from March through May; the rainy season from June into November, with daily rains during July, August and September; and the cool, dry season from November to February.
    The Philippines is a developing nation in the lower half of the world's economies. Tourist facilities are available within the population centers and main tourist sites. Adequate private medical care is available in Manila and major cities but is not up to the standards of industrialized countries. Medical care is substandard in the rest of the country. Adequate evacuation coverage for all travelers is a high priority. In the event of serious medical conditions every effort should be made to go to Singapore or Hong Kong.
    Visa applicants may need to meet specific requirements. Review the application and contact the Philippine's embassy if you have questions. According to the U.S. Department of State, HIV testing is required for applicants for permanent resident visas as part of a general medical exam. Foreign test results are accepted under certain conditions. VACCINES AND MALARIA
    • Yellow fever: Although yellow fever does not occur in Philippines, an official yellow fever vaccination certificate may be required depending on your itinerary.
      • Requirement: A yellow fever vaccination certificate is required for travelers over 1 year of age coming from areas with risk of yellow fever transmission.
    • Other vaccines: Depending on your itinerary, your personal risk factors, and the length of your visit, your health care provider may offer you vaccination against hepatitis A, hepatitis B, influenza, Japanese encephalitis, rabies, or typhoid. Routine immunizations, such as those that prevent tetanus/diphtheria or "childhood" diseases, should be reviewed and updated as needed.
    • Malaria:
      • Risk exists throughout the year in all rural regions and islands below 2,000 feet (600 meters), except no risk is reported to exist in metropolitan Manila or the provinces of Aklan, Benguet, Biliran, Bohol, Camiguin, Capiz, Catanduanes, Cebu, Guimaras, Iloilo, Leyte, Masbate, Northern Samar, and Siquijor. Risk is largely confined to rural areas not usually visited by short-term travelers and tourists. Risk is highest on the islands of Mindanao, Mindoro, Palawan, and the northern half of Luzon. No risk exists in the Borocay resort area or on the plains of Negros Island.
      • Take evening and nighttime insect precautions in risk areas. Medicines that protect against malaria in this area include mefloquine (Lariam), doxycycline, or atovaquone/proguanil (Malarone). Primaquine may be used in special circumstances (G6PD testing is required). The best drug for you depends on your itinerary and on a number of personal factors that should be discussed between you and your health care provider.
      • Because no preventive measure is 100% effective, if you have traveled in an area of malaria risk, seek immediate medical attention for any fever or flu-like illness occurring within 3 months of your return home. Be sure to tell your health care provider your travel history.
    OTHER HEALTH ISSUES
    • Insect-borne diseases: Mosquitoes transmit a variety of diseases in this country, including malaria, dengue fever, and Japanese encephalitis. Personal protective measures are extremely important since insects cannot be avoided.
    • Food- and water-borne diseases: Quite a few diseases, including hepatitis A and typhoid fever, are transmitted by unsanitary food handling procedures and contaminated water. Food and beverage precautions are essential in order to reduce chance of illness. Anti-diarrheal drugs (loperamide and/or a quinolone antibiotic) may be prescribed by your provider.
    • Tuberculosis is common in all developing countries. However, this country has a prevalence of over 100 cases per 100,000 population, the highest WHO risk category. Travelers planning to stay more than 1 month should have pre-departure PPD skin test status documented. Travelers should avoid crowded public places and public transportation whenever possible. Domestic help should be screened for TB.
    • Schistosomiasis is present in freshwater lakes and rivers throughout the country and is transmitted by larvae that penetrate intact skin. Avoid freshwater exposure.
    • Select inter-island sea ferries carefully if traveling between islands. Poor maintenance, poor safety standards, and overcrowding have resulted in fatalities.
    • Monkey bites are not uncommon in tourists. A number of diseases including rabies and herpes B can be transmitted. Avoid feeding monkeys, and if bitten, immediate wound cleaning by soaking and scrubbing of the bite for at least 15 minutes is recommended followed by urgent medical consultation.
    • Multi-drug resistant strains of gonorrhea are active among sex workers in Manila and Cebu City.
    • The blood type of the general Asian populace is Rh positive; Rh negative blood may be difficult to obtain.
    • Marine hazards include corals, jellyfish, sharks, sea urchins, and sea snakes. Heed posted warnings at organized beaches, and do not bathe at unmarked, unpatrolled beaches.
    Sorry to burst your bubble

Regards
    Dom

We stopped taking ours after a week in the Phil, as no mosquito's in the cities......the locals have eaten them all!!!
    Keith - Administrator

Respected Member
    Another thing Jeffro, do not drink tap water. My American boyfriend visited me last April and he drank tap water at Waterfront Hotel in Cebu. 2 days after, I brought him to the ER. Good thing I am a nurse so, he was in good hands

london well away from those people up norf
    Quote Originally Posted by Maria_2300 View Post
    Another thing Jeffro, do not drink tap water. My American boyfriend visited me last April and he drank tap water at Waterfront Hotel in Cebu. 2 days after, I brought him to the ER. Good thing I am a nurse so, he was in good hands
    Good point maria and its wise to be careful with ice cubes as well. Seen plenty of us silly westners making sure the bottled water, coke or beer is fine and then in the water or coke adding ice cubes of an unknown orgin into the glass

Smile

WOW! I have stayed at the Waterfront Hotel - everything was fine - must say though - I didn't drink the tap water. They do a brill American Breakfast for 125 pesos.

PLUS - Jo's chicken is just across the road - yummy!!!

Al

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Jo's chicken is just across the road - yummy!!!
    Tastes just like dog!
    Keith - Administrator

JABS!!!!!

MALARIA TABLETS!!!!!

Respected Member
    Yes, AndyPaul, sometimes we forget little things like ice cubes. He has a very sensitive gastrointestinal tract cause he has crohns so, small things like ice cubes could make him ill.

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    Tastes just like dog!

thanks, i was looking for my chicken everywhere ... now how did the chicken cross the road ,

i see pinoys buying ice cubes in the more reasons to shop at shop , makes my laugh, why someone buys ice cubes? what do they do with them, suck on them instead of chewing gum ?? anyone know why they buy them? maybe they dont know the tap water is safe to drink

Hi everyone,hope your all great!!,
    other than my passport,money etc what are the essential items i need and should take with me when i visit Cebu in October?.
    So far,ive a camcorder and some CK boxer shorts,and after shave of course ,and im not even on a promise ,ha ha
    Hi jeffro,
    Once you're here you can just buy the things you'll need from our department stores because they are cheaper here. You will be wearing slippers, t-shirts (it's very warm here) and blue jeans will be ok. Welcome to the Philippines and i'm sure you'll enjoy many beautiful sights.... Take note you might not be used to seeing beggars on the streets...hahaha. If they approach you just smile and if you have some coins you can give them but just an advise - I have experienced giving small coins to them but got a swear in return. Good luck...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information