Thread: Impact of new laws

Impact of new laws

Has anyone here, or anyone know of anyone who has fallen foul of the new laws (especially the £18,600 wage) that has applied for a Visa yet?

I'm still unsure what to do, as I fall well short (retail wage!) of the salary, and I know I will be refused on this ground alone. We did meet in this country, and have savings together while she lived here, and everything had been planed to avoid touching those savings (£3k), so a loan was taken out to pay for the wedding, and once Ruby was back in the country, with a joint wage we could hammer into the loan aswell as add to our savings. But, with the refusal expected, it will mean that to appeal will cost us a fortune, and pretty much eradicate our savings, if not more.

Everything else we have no issues with. I could submit millions of photos of us in pretty much every part of the UK, aswell as the Philippines. No issues what so ever with genuinity. Even her old overall boss promised her a job if she returned, and since then my Mum's best friend has taken over the day to day running of that care home, so even more promises of a job.

But I'd just like to know if anyone has tried under the wage restrictions, and how they got on and how they are/have fought it. Just under 3 months now until our big day, and then the decision of how we fight this needs to start

Banned
    My way of thinking is that the £18600 minimum has effectively filtered out many potential applicants from applying in the first place, i.e. earning less than £18600 gross income p.a., unless they can demonstrate that they can make up the shortfall by overtime and bonuses etc.

It hadn't really occurred to me that someone might apply, knowing full well that they cant meet that £18600 requirement, as the fees are such a lot of money to lose.

Why wouldn't we apply? I earn between £13.5k - 14.5k a year, depending on overtime, although this year that will be nearer 13.5 as in total I would have taken 3 weeks unpaid from work. Although not for the next couple of months, as I will be paying out for presents, clothes, and other stuff for when I fly, but I have been putting £200 a month into our savings. I have disposable income, proof of disposable income, and with the promise of her employment, it is more proof of being able to support ourselves and not rely on benefits (of which I have never claimed in my working life) I know that applying is just chucking money away, but love has no price, and we want our family life to start. Everything was planned, budgeted, and organised before the new law was announced, and I'm hoping that proof of this may slightly, even if only by 1%, help in our application.

I'm actively looking for other jobs, as I was before this new law, but there isn't much around anyway, especially not that pays anywhere near this amount. Even looking for second jobs, or turning my current job into a second job isn't proving easy

The rules are cruelly clear. If you cannot comply with the financial requirement the application will fall for refusal. Period.
    These rules are of course open to legal challenge in the courts, but I suggest you don't put yourself in the frame for that. You'd need super deep pockets and be prepared to fight all the way through the process to the highest level. Until that actually happens the rules will stay.

Sorry if that sounds too hard but that's just how it is.
    There are a number of options available including seeking new employment, seeking additional employment, using savings and the EEA route. But I suspect you have enough on your plate just now with the forthcoming wedding.
    Time enough to consider the best route.

This is why we decided to leave the application until after the wedding as it was just causing too much stress. I just wish I wasn't a traditionalist and we got married here before she was due to return home :( A lesson in life well learnt! Grab the chance while you can, because doing the "right thing" results in falling flat on your face.

What you said didn't sound too hard, it's what we know, but I can't help but think I have to apply. The EEA route I did joke about as I live in Dover, so I could easily move to Calais and commute to work via a ferry! But this would bankrupt me too! But at least we'd be together!

Fingers crossed for the lotto win then!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteBloodAda View Post
    This is why we decided to leave the application until after the wedding as it was just causing too much stress. I just wish I wasn't a traditionalist and we got married here before she was due to return home :( A lesson in life well learnt! Grab the chance while you can, because doing the "right thing" results in falling flat on your face.

What you said didn't sound too hard, it's what we know, but I can't help but thing I have to apply. The EEA route I did joke about as I live in Dover, so I could easily move to Calais and commute to work via a ferry! But this would bankrupt me too! But at least we'd be together!

Fingers crossed for the lotto win then!
    Hows your french?

ou est la pomme de terre?

And that's about all I can say. Never got round to using it yet though!

dont waste your money applying
    the only way is to find a better paid job or an extra part time job,

i think many people will find a way of getting to £18.6k i'm sure there are many ways you could get there all this is just delay tactics by the government
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Hi Whiteblood,

Just a thought.... You have to show £ 18'600 for the last year to qualify. I would register as joint self employed/employed and declare your providing any sort of service you dream of to earn the addition income you require. Even if i didn't earn that money, i would borrow from someone, slowly pay it into my account and then foot the additional tax bill... Its never a good idea to lie on your application as there are serious consequences but i would... if it was my only chance ! And to be fair, who would ever expect you to tell a lie that would condemn you to pay even more tax !

Probably not great advice.. but its what i'd do...

I think its so unfair for the lower earners !

apply to become a taxi driver if you have a licence as you are paid in cash you can,t show money on bank statement then your taxi boss can give you pay slips .there are ways you just have to scout around .

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DanandClavs View Post
    Hi Whiteblood,

Just a thought.... You have to show £ 18'600 for the last year to qualify. I would register as joint self employed/employed and declare your providing any sort of service you dream of to earn the addition income you require. Even if i didn't earn that money, i would borrow from someone, slowly pay it into my account and then foot the additional tax bill... Its never a good idea to lie on your application as there are serious consequences but i would... if it was my only chance ! And to be fair, who would ever expect you to tell a lie that would condemn you to pay even more tax !

It is do-able.

......Probably not great advice.. but its what i'd do...
    Well I can agree with that.

Terpe,

I know that's not really the way to do things. Just that, i know i would probably resort to those lengths in WBA's situation. Take terpe's advice WBA, additional employment to make up the 4.5k is only around £86 a week. You could probably make that selling Avon..

like i said there will be ways around this, but you have to be careful, or your wife could be banned from coming to the Uk for a number of years.
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Respected Member
    Hi Whiteblood,

Sounds a bit risky to me and if you are found out thats the end of the application

I am sure most of these ECO'S scrutinise these applications quite closely and know what to look for when it comes to income

Respected Member
    Has anyone here, or anyone know of anyone who has fallen foul of the new laws (especially the £18,600 wage) that has applied for a Visa yet?

I'm still unsure what to do, as I fall well short (retail wage!) of the salary, and I know I will be refused on this ground alone. We did meet in this country, and have savings together while she lived here, and everything had been planed to avoid touching those savings (£3k), so a loan was taken out to pay for the wedding, and once Ruby was back in the country, with a joint wage we could hammer into the loan aswell as add to our savings. But, with the refusal expected, it will mean that to appeal will cost us a fortune, and pretty much eradicate our savings, if not more.

Everything else we have no issues with. I could submit millions of photos of us in pretty much every part of the UK, aswell as the Philippines. No issues what so ever with genuinity. Even her old overall boss promised her a job if she returned, and since then my Mum's best friend has taken over the day to day running of that care home, so even more promises of a job.

But I'd just like to know if anyone has tried under the wage restrictions, and how they got on and how they are/have fought it. Just under 3 months now until our big day, and then the decision of how we fight this needs to start
    I dont see the point in getting married now if you cant get your future wife into the uk

Put the marriage on hold until you can find a job that pays more than 18,600

If you get married now and then apply for a visa after a few years then surely the eco is going to say why have you left it so long

Look for a job on the railway either track work or on trains, rates are good and i think even platform staff earn more than 18k, these jobs can be found online, no vast qualifications needed just common sense and a good work ethic

Terpe,

I know that's not really the way to do things. Just that, i know i would probably resort to those lengths in WBA's situation. Take terpe's advice WBA, additional employment to make up the 4.5k is only around £86 a week. You could probably make that selling Avon..
    No offence was meant, but if you study the rules and the way they are worded it's clear that certain checks are always going to be made. That's exactly why specific documents are requested.
    UKBA has access to many different databases including HMRC (Including National Insurance office),DWP,Credit reference agencies and others.
    Now, I'm not suggested that a caseworker or Assistant ECO has authority for access but ECO and above do.

I think you'd be surprised how quick and easy it can be to verify financials.

Food for thought

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...ed-in-hounslow

as I've said previously, i am surprised there are not more scams like this but as i've said, your wife could be banned from coming to the UK

... it really IS a crying shame when otherwise honest, upright people [sometimes] consider it necessary to resort to devious tactics that go "against the grain" - and everything they've believed in all their lives - for the sake of being with the person they love; when desperation appears to call for desperate measures ... "when needs must ... the devil drives", etc. We're human beings after all ... - NOT saints - and, as a fellow mortal, I truly empathise.

Nevertheless ... for better or for worse ... *politicians are the ones holding the reins of power ... the Government Departments that *they regulate, seldom "miss a trick"!

So ... without meaning to preach ... ... don't disregard the principles you've long held dear ... it's simply not worth it!

No offence taken Terpe

You guys are 100% right, honesty is the best policy without question and i was diligent to ensure my application was fully open and honest.

I think the point behind my statements, like Arthur points out is that, in this dire situation where a rule which you feel is unfair and unjust is impeding on your happiness and standing between you and your loved one you are compelled to flout the rule, find a way around it to secure your right to be with your loved one. Even if you are a morally decent person...

Banned
    My first impulse was to think what a good idea to the one on forging a business income that didnt exist. But thinking it through I have to agree, not so easy to carry off. I think you would have to present book keeeping as proof of your business income, even if your income was in cash. Leaving a false accounting paper trail is risky.

Probably the best bet is to take on a job that will give you that extra dosh, even if it is one you don't like. Just to get you the employment history and income that you need to satisfy the requirements.

You seem like you are a fit guy. Any thoughts on the offshore oil industry? It seems to be bouyant just now.

Wedding will go ahead as planned. A new law is not going to stop me from being together again with my soulmate. We know the situation has temporarily buggered up our plans a little, but we won't put off what we want just because of this Government. If the ECO asks why it was left so long, I'll just submit old pay slips and have a bloody good moan!

As for the jobs on railway, I've emailed my interest, as with many other companies, but I can't have a job if there is no job available!

Banned
    Wedding will go ahead as planned. A new law is not going to stop me from being together again with my soulmate. We know the situation has temporarily buggered up our plans a little, but we won't put off what we want just because of this Government. If the ECO asks why it was left so long, I'll just submit old pay slips and have a bloody good moan!

As for the jobs on railway, I've emailed my interest, as with many other companies, but I can't have a job if there is no job available!
    http://www.rigzone.com/jobs/search_j...FVMbtAodXUUAag

There are jobs in the oil industry just now.

http://www.oilcareers.com/worldwide/

http://www.kcadeutag.com/careers/gre...north-sea.html

Banned

Respected Member

Apply for specific jobs that are advertised online

Check out the train operating companies websites in your area

if nothing in your area then look further away

The london terminals are always looking for people so you may have to move to the smoke if you want a job that pays over 18k

These jobs are not the usual mon to fri 9 to 5 kind of jobs so be prepared to work weekends bank holidays and any shifts including nights

Get your foot in the door with any of these toc's and then you can apply for other better jobs within the company later

i was a courier driver own van a few years back if i knew what i know now i would not have given it up as i was getting around £1500 a week i got £800 just taking 1 pallet to spain then got a back load to bring me back 2 uk that paid for the fuel there and back i am looking to get money to get back into it as you can get a van arount £3500 if we need show 6 months at£1500 a week thats £36000 even at a £1000 a week thats £24000 then you give it up or keep doing the work

I think if your over 50 your on the scrapheap now.

Thread Information