Thread: HARD-EARNED DEGREE MEANS NOTHING to U-HUD

Luddendenfoot, near Todmorden and Slaithwaite

Unhappy HARD-EARNED DEGREE MEANS NOTHING to U-HUD

I have mentioned in a thread last week about attending University of Huddersfield Open Day and that's where I was confronted with the hurtful reality...

After the Admissions Tutor's talk, (which was really more like chasing us away from taking the degree) I told my husband that I'd like to "try and see" if my UK-NARIC CPR would be enough to get me through Y2 instead of going through the very strict process (using filtration, decantation, pasteurization) of selecting the students. They boast of being SECOND TO CAMBRIDGE when it comes to ITT, and around 700 hopeful students apply for 20 slots every school year... I didn't want to find out I am the 21st .

So, I sent an e-mail to the Admissions Tutor detailing my Degree (hard-earned, toiled for four years) and teaching experience. I have also mentioned of the statement of comparability by UK NARIC and attached a scanned copy in the e-mail.

After an hour, she replied...

[COLOR="rgb(0, 0, 0)"]Hi Jona,
    Many thanks for your very comprehensive e-mail. Unfortunately due to the nature of the English teacher training system all trainees need to accumulate evidence over the course of the three years to build a portfolio. This portfolio brings together a range of evidence to fulfil the teachers standards, all of these standards must be met before we can recommend trainees for the award of QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) therefore you would need to start the course in Y1 in order to fulfil all these requirements in the depth required, as some aspects are covered in Y1, some in Y2 and then others in Y3..missing out a year is not an option. We do not accept course changers from other institutions on that basis, as they may not have covered what we cover, when we cover it. You may well be able to start in Y2 on a straight forward undergraduate degree, but when one has a professional responsibility attached it is not normally achievable as strict quality assurance is applied and we feel it would disadvantage a trainee to have not covered the same ground as everyone else. I hope this makes sense.

Regards
    Admissions Tutor
    [/COLOR]

That means I have to start from scratch...

I'll probably just settle being a teaching assistant ...
    UKBA,UKBA I am dreading to hear from you...
    UKBA, a BRP for Christmas will do...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jlags90 View Post

That means I have to start from scratch...

I'll probably just settle being a teaching assistant ...

I feel for you. My wife's degree appears to be of little use to her here in Britain.

Have you thought of the Open University?

Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    Have you thought of trying the Open University?
    That's my second option lastlid. OU also does credit transfer for degrees earned overseas so I have forwarded my transcripts to them to see if the credit transfer will make the study time shorter. I am not really keen on Distance Learning but if it would be less than two years part-time, I could try to bear with that... Otherwise, I might stick with TA or finding another career path..(accountancy probably so hubby would stop incurring net loss in his balance sheet
    Last edited by jlags90; 22nd September 2012 at 21:07. Reason: American Spelling Used (haha!)

my wife has 2 phil degrees, after years of struggling to get registered as a doc here, she felt it better if she took, what was a step back at the time from working as a SHO, and start again and do foundation training for 2yrs, the same training British medical graduates would do after they finished their medical degrees, why because she would be then on par with them and enable her to go further.basically it gets you in the system, some times you have to take a step back to go 2 steps forward
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    my wife has 2 phil degrees, after years of struggling to get registered as a doc here, she felt it better if she took, what was a step back at the time from working as a SHO, and start again and do foundation training for 2yrs, the same training British medical graduates would do after they finished their medical degrees, why because she would be then on par with them and enable her to go further.basically it gets you in the system, some times you have to take a step back to go 2 steps forward
    Yeah, that's the point of the Admissions Tutor's reply to my e-mail. Institutions also need to protect their hard-earned reputation so I do not blame them. It's the education system that differs the most so I hope that new system of education in the Philippines now will help narrow the gap in the future.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jlags90 View Post
    That's my second option lastlid. OU also does credit transfer for degrees earned overseas so I have forwarded my transcripts to them to see if the credit transfer will make the study time shorter.
    Okay, thats good.

I know what you mean about distance learning. There are limitations. But it is a way forward, potentially.

portfolio is the magic word, as you've already posted, gets you ahead of others (in my misses case other IMG's - International Medical Grads) who had not done foundation training and didn't have a portfolio. but had to sacrifice 2 years on lesser pay and doing training that most of it you've already done, but this enabled my wife to start training as a GP, while other IMG's are stuck at SHO level.

your young enough to do what you want jlags90, so dont let anyone or anything get in your way
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Okay, thats good.

I know what you mean about distance learning. There are limitations. But it is a way forward, potentially.
    OU is pretty good, I spent a number of years with them but in the end dropped out, found it difficult and expensive when i had to work and support my family

I feel for you. My wife's degree appears to be of little use to her here in Britain.
    Ditto ... MY wife's in the same "boat"!

Really hope you can get something sorted. Hudds Uni isn't so bad, quite a nice spot really. There will always be openings, want you to get one of them

I feel sorry for you jags but you will get there. If you can get a degree in the phils you can get one here.

I am not sure what part of teaching you wish to follow, but don't settle for 'just' being a teaching assistant. Why not follow a Further Education teaching role. Maybe your previous quals will be accepted there. I got my degree in Teaching FE while actually working in the job teaching. It could be worth a thought.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Okay, thats good.

I agree with you. I'll just wait OU say about my credit transfer application at the same time start going over UHud's admission requirements (just to try if I can secure a slot).

I am also eyeing on Apprenticeships as I find it interesting so might also consider that...

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    portfolio is the magic word, as you've already posted, gets you ahead of others (in my misses case other IMG's - International Medical Grads) who had not done foundation training and didn't have a portfolio. but had to sacrifice 2 years on lesser pay and doing training that most of it you've already done, but this enabled my wife to start training as a GP, while other IMG's are stuck at SHO level.

your young enough to do what you want jlags90, so dont let anyone or anything get in your way
    Wow, congratulations to your wife. I know it wouldn't be easy at first, but we have to make a move may it be forward, backward, or side ward.

What if husband gets on the way?

Quote Originally Posted by Iani View Post
    Really hope you can get something sorted. Hudds Uni isn't so bad, quite a nice spot really. There will always be openings, want you to get one of them
    Yes, I like the Education building... It;s near a narrow lock... But it is not just that, they have a very strict way choosing applicants for the course which looks very challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    I am not sure what part of teaching you wish to follow, but don't settle for 'just' being a teching assistant. Why not follow a Further Education teching role. Maybe your previous quals will be accepted there. I got my degree in Teaching FE while actually working in the job teaching. It could be worth a thought.
    My previous degree was more of teaching English and Literature to HS students but after my private school experience and considering the HS students here, I thought of changing the age range so might do Early and Primary Ed. Thinking of being a TA to start with to give me a continuous exposure to the field.

Thread Information