Thread: Health Insurance

Health Insurance

I am wondering if visa required nationals have been getting private healthcare insurance for the UK or is it that once you are resident here you can avail of the healthcare system like any other person in the UK.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Crampton View Post
    I am wondering if visa required nationals have been getting private healthcare insurance for the UK or is it that once you are resident here you can avail of the healthcare system like any other person in the UK.
    Yes. My wife is on a Spouse visa but is entitled to use the National Health Service in the same way that we (UK Nationals) are.

Great ok, I would assume that it would be the same for my wife as she will be on an EEA Family Permit and therefore a resident. Also as soon as she gets here we will apply with the EEA2 form for a resident card which isn't mandatory but can make things a little easier in some situations.

My understanding is that a spouse has access to NHS first line (i.e. GP/prescriptions) on immediate entry to the UK but access to second line (Hospital/Operations) is only possible after being in the UK for a year or more, no?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    My understanding is that a spouse has access to NHS first line (i.e. GP/prescriptions) on immediate entry to the UK but access to second line (Hospital/Operations) is only possible after being in the UK for a year or more, no?
    Put it this way. My wife has had full access to the NHS including giving birth and pre and post natal mid wifery etc and not had to pay a penny. Even free prescriptions while pregnant. She is only just in her 2nd year here but length or type of visa or length of stay was never asked for by anyone. Though she did have to show her passport when first registering.

Trusted Member
    • If you are ordinarily resident in the UK with a settlement ( spouse or fiancée ) visa you are eligible to register with a GP practice and receive any treatment required. Once registered – obviously depending on acceptance by the practice - your GP may refer you to hospital for treatment which is also free at the point of access. There is no charge for basic GP treatment for NHS patients living in the UK. There may be charges for certain services, such as check-ups for employees, vaccinations for travelling abroad, and prescriptions.
    ( http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1095.asp...CategoryID=158 )

• Everyone in the UK – regardless of immigration or residency status – is in any case entitled to free care in Accident and Emergency, treatment for sexually-transmitted infections, and conditions such as TB and malaria. NHS staff will treat anyone whose condition is deemed life-threatening or urgent, including women giving birth. “ Walk In Clinics “ are also free to all.

• Dental services are not free, whether NHS or private. It’s advisable – but not essential – to register with a nearby dental practice.
    http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNH...S-dentist.aspx

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    • If you are ordinarily resident in the UK with a settlement ( spouse or fiancée ) visa you are eligible to register with a GP practice and receive any treatment required. Once registered – obviously depending on acceptance by the practice - your GP may refer you to hospital for treatment which is also free at the point of access. There is no charge for basic GP treatment for NHS patients living in the UK. There may be charges for certain services, such as check-ups for employees, vaccinations for travelling abroad, and prescriptions.
    ( http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1095.asp...CategoryID=158 )

• Everyone in the UK – regardless of immigration or residency status – is in any case entitled to free care in Accident and Emergency, treatment for sexually-transmitted infections, and conditions such as TB and malaria. NHS staff will treat anyone whose condition is deemed life-threatening or urgent, including women giving birth. “ Walk In Clinics “ are also free to all.

• Dental services are not free, whether NHS or private. It’s advisable – but not essential – to register with a nearby dental practice.
    http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNH...S-dentist.aspx
    Even folks on visit visas can avail themselves to the services of there Local General Practitioners surgery and get immediate hospital treatment if required. Just as can folks on any other visa.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    Even folks on visit visas can avail themselves of the services of their local General Practitioner's surgery and get immediate hospital treatment if required. Just as can folks on any other visa.
    Correct ! This includes EEA Family Permits. Obviously, as I have said, you need a GP to accept you in their practice. Once this is done, the usual route of referral to hospital - outpatients, A and E, or as an inpatient, is via the GP.

Thread Information