Thread: Is this for real?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Well Andy, I'm sure you'll understand more than most.

On my part, I think the points raised in that link are valid.

When you consider what it must be like out there, then you consider the huge complexities under these so called 'rules of engagement', it's just way outside the comprehension of most of us.

For me that article makes sense.
    I can just about imagine what it's like under in those circumstances when suddenly it all goes off. Who can really say exactly what happened and in what sequence etc. Decisions get made almost instantly and following the automatic reactions of military training.
    At the end of it there is a fatality.

Then the politics begins. And that's where my understanding fails me.

Politicians can't even pin down exactly what happened between an MP on a bike and the police.

Its crazy out there you dont know who your going to come up against.

Respected Member
    I think most of us can only imagine how difficult it is to be in that position, the fear, the panic, the training kicking in. It seems pretty plausable to me.
    I can imagine that anger does play a part at times. These guys are taken at 16-18 years old, taken into hardcore training and convinced that they are the best of the best, taught to fight and trained to take on the enemy. They are essentially brainwashed, and this is necessary to make them the good soliders that they are.
    Situations like this are bound to happen.

Banned
    "He said: "The rules of engagement are very complicated for troops and they have to follow them individually.
    "They can only open fire on somebody if that somebody is a threat to them or if they think that somebody is involved in a hostile act, which could be planting a bomb."
    The difficulty, he added, came when troops had to "interpret those rules in split second situations."
    "

I imagine that at times these guys and gals will find themselves in a position where there is a tough call and no time to think things through. Mistakes will always be inevitable, unfortunately.

Under these circumstances it surely isn't possible to press the pause button while appropriate strategy is being finalised. Would be nice if it were possible.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    "He said: "The rules of engagement are very complicated for troops and they have to follow them individually.
    "They can only open fire on somebody if that somebody is a threat to them or if they think that somebody is involved in a hostile act, which could be planting a bomb."
    The difficulty, he added, came when troops had to "interpret those rules in split second situations."
    "

I imagine that at times these guys and gals will find themselves in a position where there is a tough call and no time to think things through. Mistakes will always be inevitable, unfortunately.

Under these circumstances it surely isn't possible to press the pause button while appropriate strategy is being finalised. Would be nice if it were possible.
    Well of course, kill or be killed...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
    Well of course, kill or be killed...
    Exactly. But the rules of engagement evidently make it a tough call, at times, for these guys and gals.

Banned
    And hard to switch from one mode to another:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...rotection.html

Well my daughter has just arrived back safe and sound today thank god. But it will cost me £50 for the new baggies shirt I promised her. I dare say I will hear a few stories if she opens up.. Personally I think it is wrong if these marines felt threatened they have a right to protect themselves. But I would say that wouldnt I.

Banned
    It's a joke, these blokes should be given medals. Reminds me of Paratrooper Lee Clegg wrongly convicted of murder in N Ireland

it doesn't go into much detail, so we dont know what happened.
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

It is thought investigators began a probe when the "code of silence" among Marines was broken by a witness to the alleged crime.

Looks like one of their own has come forward and triggered the investigation.

Thread Information