Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: drinking on long haul flights

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Respected Member

drinking on long haul flights

Hi all,just looking for opinions ,only talking about having a beer or two with meals served on plane -not being drunk or abusive to flight attendants or other passengers.

Banned
    I always ask for extra.

I had a couple of little bottles of australian red wine on my long haul flights....mind you it didnt help me relax but it helped me catch up with my jet lag
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Cant sleep on planes without sinking a bottle of Vodka so these days just stay awake the whole flight..
    If I touch Booze on long haul flights these days my feet and legs start swelling..
    Scary stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Cant sleep on planes without sinking a bottle of Vodka so these days just stay awake the whole flight..
    If I touch Booze on long haul flights these days my feet and legs start swelling..
    Scary stuff.
    try wearing stockings flight socks

Respected Member
    Some people suggest having a few drinks to relax before flying, especially when going on holiday. As a very frequent traveller I learnt several years ago that alcohol and flying aren't a great mix due to the increased affects from being at a high altitude. To arrive refreshed, don't drink alcohol and do drink water in abundance, you'll get over the jet lag considerably more quickly and be free to enjoy a lot more of your time.
    Hangovers at altitude are the worst I've ever had. Woke up after a transatlantic flight in First with US Airways having parties in NYC and then continued drinking champers onboard, and my head hurt for days.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    I drink tomatoe juice when on long haul, it seems to taste better at 38000 feet!

soft drinks and water for me, cant beat a cup of tea sometimes though

Banned
    My last alcoholic drink was on my flight back to the UK from the Philippines in June 2011. Havent touched a drop since.

just had a great weekend in london, 1 pint of john smiths went straight to my head and bladder and over the next few days shandys, but one day had 3 shandys and i was bloated, like i have said cant beat a good cup of tea

I always have a drink on my flights. Not too many though.

Respected Member
    the reason i posted was read this on another travel forum - Consuming alcohol on long haul flights is a mind-numbingly stupid thing to do. A moment's thought should tell anybody it's exactly the last first impression someone should want to make. It also shows a rank disrespect for whatever country you are arriving in.

How do they work that one out irishman? Ok if it is a country that does not allow alcohol fair enough. I cant see the reasoning behind it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    How do they work that one out irishman? Ok if it is a country that does not allow alcohol fair enough. I cant see the reasoning behind it.
    Exactly. Surely, a couple of shorts or a couple of those in flight bottles of wine is completely acceptable.

Banned

Respected Member
    It wasn't that long ago that Air France used to serve wine to pilots inflight and Russian pilots drank vodka on board....

Trusted Member
    Should be banned as far as I'm concerned....fed up with having to put up with noisy drunken idiots.

If smokers can manage without cigs...

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Should be banned as far as I'm concerned....fed up with having to put up with noisy drunken idiots.

If smokers can manage without cigs...
    so all bars /pubs should be closed down too?if there are drunk people?its airline responsibility to deal with these issues in appropriate way ,my post said -not being drunk

Quote Originally Posted by irishman12 View Post
    so all bars /pubs should be closed down too?if there are drunk people?its airline responsibility to deal with these issues in appropriate way ,my post said -not being drunk
    Good post. I agree.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by irishman12 View Post
    Oh, sorry not to conform perfectly with my reply.

Your bar/pubs analogy is ridiculous.
    You can get up and leave a drinking establishment anytime you choose to do so.

What do you want people on a plane with small children to do, when having to put up with drunken morons using foul language ? Jump out of the emergency exit ?

Happened to me.
    I'll tell what I did.
    I collared the when he went off to the toilet and gave him a quiet smack on the nose. That cured him !

Ban it I say.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    I collared the when he went off to the toilet and gave him a quiet smack on the nose.

I was a regular traveler to Saudi Arabia for a couple of years, and yes, like Graham have seen a number of instances where drink has made the flights uncomfortable for those around these idiots. For many, the airport lounge was the last place to drink before a few months of being in a 'dry state' and many times i saw both westerners and Arabs stumbling to the gate.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Nothing like some Singapore slings on a long haul-part of my holiday

I sometimes accept the offer of one of those small cans they give away on long haul, even though all common sense is telling me to drink only water.
    If anything, it seems to relax me slightly - which is no bad thing on a flight.

Got to say, maybe I've been lucky but I've never experienced drunken idiots on a plane. Heard the stories mind. Hmmmm

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Iani View Post
    I sometimes accept the offer of one of those small cans they give away on long haul, even though all common sense is telling me to drink only water.
    If anything, it seems to relax me slightly - which is no bad thing on a flight.

Got to say, maybe I've been lucky but I've never experienced drunken idiots on a plane. Heard the stories mind. Hmmmm
    Come to think of it, me neither.

Trusted Member
    Oh, so I'm lying ?

I have probably flown more long haul flights than you've had hot breakfasts...including at least 30 to the Philippines, and I can assure you it is not an uncommon annoyance, particularly when Scandinavian or Germans are boarded.

Banned
    I have flown 42 long haul flights, 102 medium haul flights and inumerable short haul flights including something like 4 / 500 domestic flights and never once seen undesirable drunken behaviour on the plane. I wouldn't say it doesn't happen but in my experience it surely is rare.

some dont have to have a drink to be annoying

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    some dont have to have a drink to be annoying

Very true!

I can't remember being on a flight with any incidents caused by passengers drinking themselves into unruly behaviour.
    Perhaps I've been lucky or perhaps I not been seated close enough to any to really notice.

And yes, I have been a very regular flyer for over 35 years. Mostly long-haul.

I'm not suggesting it doesn't happen. We all know that it does happen, often creating newspaper headlines or even TV news. Especially if it's someone with celeb status.

Personally, I've always enjoyed a wine and beer or if I'm lucky champers. Long may that continue.

I know that airline staff do actually perform 'profile risk assessments' before boarding, and probably catch quite a few who are actually prevented from boarding.
    Once on board the staff are able to control the quantity of alcohol by limiting the amount given each time they serve you and the number of times they serve you.

The one thing thay cannot control is the amount of alcohol actually consumed surreptitiously by those who bring on their own supply and will eventually display obnoxious and drunken behaviour.
    Apart from that there are plenty of folks who bring on board bottles and bottles of duty free. So there is yet another supply.

Let's make no mistake it's not an easy task to deal with inebriated unruly people at the best of times.
    When it occurs on board an aeroplane the challenges and hazards to restrain and control the culprit and to protect other passenger increase exponetially

It's quite easy to monitor, control and identify those who defy a smoking ban.
    How could the same be held for a ban on drinking alcohol?
    How about those who despite an alcohol ban turn to some form of drugs?

If conditions cause a total ban, that would for me deprive me of some enjoyment. I'd accept it of course, no choice, but I ask is there perhaps a less extreme solution.?

As with drink-related individual driving bans, why not a drink-related individual flying ban?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information