Thread: Good news to non-resident working in nursing homes

Newbie (Restricted Access)

Talking Good news to non-resident working in nursing homes

Although I'm not affected by this new revised policy because I'm already a resident, this latest news is really a good news to those working in nursing homes who are non-resident yet.

To the mods of this forum, please make this a sticky new thread if possible for the benefit of those who are affected by this revised UK policy. To those who have access to other forums or have email distribution list or have relatives or friends that are affected by this policy, send this email to them.

RP caregivers to benefit from new UK policy

By Jerome Aning
    Inquirer
    Last updated 04:59am (Mla time) 08/11/2007

MANILA, Philippines—The United Kingdom has reversed its policy of not granting extensions to the five-year work permits given to foreign caregivers.

The policy change will benefit 25,000 Filipino caregivers in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, said Emmanuel Geslani, a recruitment industry consultant for several local agencies.

With the issuance and publication of the new policy guidelines within the month, applications for extensions would now be acted upon, he said.

Extending the caregivers’ work permits will also mean that their employers will have to meet the new annual salary rate of £14,600 or the hourly rate of £7.02, said Geslani.

According to Geslani, the change in policy was relayed by Martin Green, the chief executive officer of the English Community Care Association.

Green is in contact with the British government, including the ministers for health and home and the Borders and Immigration Agency (BIA), he said.

The BIA relented on the non-extension policy after talks between the health and home ministries, Geslani told reporters.

Detrimental

Care organizations and employers of the Filipinos in the UK have been lobbying members of parliament for a reversal of the policy, saying it was detrimental to the UK’s care sector.

Geslani said the applications of Filipino caregivers, who are still in Manila, for new work permits would still be dealt with on a “case-by-case basis,” meaning that the organizations hiring them will have to prove that they have a real need for a caregiver and can comply with the new requirements.

“The intention is not to stop well-qualified health care staff entering the UK but instead make sure they are employed correctly and undertaking the official duties of a caregiver,” Geslani said.

He said this was good news for Filipinos as they were well-qualified, able to speak good English and therefore have a greater opportunity to be admitted for work in the UK, he said.

Care homes in the UK started to use the services of Filipinos in 1998. Ninety percent of the 25,000 Filipino caregivers in the UK work in hundreds of privately run care homes, while the remaining 10 percent are with the National Health Service.

“Filipinos are well-loved and respected for they are hard-working, very loving and English-speaking, an advantage over workers from the new European Union member states,” Geslani said.

To the mods of this forum, please make this a sticky new thread
    Post 1 and telling us what to do already

This needs to be verified with the relevant authorities, rather than a newspaper cutting, which will be in breach of there copyright.
    Keith - Administrator

I'm sorry the 'please' word was very strong word...I was actually requesting....

here's the link: http://globalnation.inquirer.net/new...ticle_id=81896

london well away from those people up norf
    From what i have read in the UK press the goverments policy change, was ruled as ilegal or sailing very close to it.

Nothing has yet changed for sure, goverments have ways of side stepping laws or changing them so don't pop the champagne yet.

updated article/news about the original post...it states where the news came from...

http://services.inquirer.net/express...81773-xml.html

Quote Originally Posted by explorer View Post
    updated article/news about the original post...it states where the news came from...

http://services.inquirer.net/express...81773-xml.html
    thats a good news!!!

Banned
    And since when does a Manila based recruitment agent speak on behalf of UK Immigration?

great news if its true
    but if the employer has to pay them £7+ an hour, then more locals will apply for the job, and will it be worth the time , effort and money of the employer to apply for a visa for a filipino ?

there is still people pushing for a JR on the change the gov made from working 4yrs to 5yrs in the uk before you could apply for ILR.

so the battles still carry on and i'm sure there will be more in april

Surely the law would have to be changed for non eu staff to have to be paid a minimum 7.02 an hour? If they then paid eu staff less there would be thousands of tribunals. So to increase the wage of all staff if they are under 7.02 an hour would cost a decent size care home 10's of thousands.

Respected Member
    This has now been found at the BIA website. Seem that the BIA has finally back down. Nobody will be deported.
    http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/wor..._guidance.html

Well Ging and myself were at a party up north at the week-end and 4 filipino's had to go home on Friday because they didnt get there work permits renewed.

From reading the link. In my cynical brit way i read that as well its possible we will renew senior careworkers from outside the eu. But only for a short time and after that if applicants from the eu are avaiable they will have priority.

basically we cant dimiss out of hand a non eu workers application but you better have good reason why your asking to employ someone who is not an eu citzen.

hopefully many workers will be helped by what i read as a temporay reprieve.but looks like the door is closing for those hoping to apply for a new role in the uk in the future.

Respected Member
    Those that were denied earlier, the decision stands.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gingxrick View Post
    Well Ging and myself were at a party up north at the week-end and 4 filipino's had to go home on Friday because they didnt get there work permits renewed.
    I had to take 2 of them to the airport, VERY sad!
    Really smashing girls, it's UK's loss. The locals are lazy bitches in comparison.
    The Filipinas won't leave the "Matanda" unattended, and the locals (and the Europeans) take advantage.
    P.S. hope you and Ging enjoyed Lyn's party on Sunday. There's still some
    sisig left, I can freeze it for you if you want, no? oh well.

sad day for them, well they are playing the price for the gov not putting a limit on the number of people who came to the Uk from eastern europe, and i can only see things getting tougher for those who try to come to the uk from outside europe , next april i fear it will be even worse for them

There's always U.S, Australia, Canada for them to work, and better pay.
    I would not advise any Pinay to come to this crazy country. Labour gov,
    lazy gov, they won't even reply to my wifes letter. 10 months waiting for her
    Citizenship.
    can't wait till i retire and get out from this hole

Respected Member
    Looks like the government's hidden plan is working. Some Nursing homes are refusing to pay the £7.02/hr or £14,600/yr salary, they are now refusing to renew work permits and asking non EU staff to go back home. EU workers are also required for the increase, and a lot of nursing homes cannot afford such pay. http://www.immigrationmatters.co.uk/...or_carers.html

We mentioned a while back, some are being sent home. That is all part of having a work visa, and nothing new for this group of workers, 1000's go back every year from numerous careers/countries.
    Keith - Administrator

Uk companies are still bending the rules so that when they need to say that the person meets the new emplyment conditions they are agreeing some but not others. Which means sacking people on the spot without any appeal which could not happen to EU citizens. This is discrimination under the employment laws.
    Managers can also use pressure on staff to work extra hours and under terrible conditions with the threat that they will not meet the new employment criteria. In short Filipino staff dare not complain or report wrong doing as managers can have a say on whether they can meet the pay level.
    This is happening in a well known UK care firm which is one of the largest care providers in the UK. This is a scandal and exploits hard working Filipinos in the UK.

This is discrimination under the employment laws.
    No it isn't, they are being sacked because of immigration requirments they do not meet, nothing to do with discrimination. Do not confuse the two like the media.

It is also up to individuals whether they stay in a job or not, it is there choice, so they can not complain about working conditions.
    Keith - Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by robian View Post
    Uk companies are still bending the rules so that when they need to say that the person meets the new emplyment conditions they are agreeing some but not others. Which means sacking people on the spot without any appeal which could not happen to EU citizens. This is discrimination under the employment laws.
    Managers can also use pressure on staff to work extra hours and under terrible conditions with the threat that they will not meet the new employment criteria. In short Filipino staff dare not complain or report wrong doing as managers can have a say on whether they can meet the pay level.
    This is happening in a well known UK care firm which is one of the largest care providers in the UK. This is a scandal and exploits hard working Filipinos in the UK.

Many companies push people of all backgrounds as hard as they can in most fields. I think its more the case of the huge increase in hourly rate which they would have to pay non eu workers and of course would have to pass on to all the eu workers which is the big problem.

i think getting a work permit will be more difficult to get soon, as the tories have said they will put a limit on those coming to the UK from outside europe, and with the gov admitting it under estimated the number of immigrants working by a massive 300,000 , and now with the gov extending controls on the number of Romanian and Bulgarian workers coming to the UK, and with the new points system..

even britsh graduate docs are protesting that there are not enough training places as junior docs, because of the massive number of euro docs who have applied for the places..

Thread Information