Thread: Questions about migrating to UK and employment.

Newbie (Restricted Access)

Questions about migrating to UK and employment.

Good day to all,

My name is Nico and I'm new here (thanks to Google). I live in Makati Philippines and I would like to ask for your help in answering my questions about migrating and working in London.

In 3 months time, I'll be graduating as an IT major and I'm planning to migrate to work in London UK probably after getting a 1-2 year working experience here.

So here are my questions,

1. Could I apply for an IT job in London here in the Philippines (via net) BEFORE going to London or I am only allowed to apply IF I'm in London already?

2. What are the requirements/steps for me to go to London and able to work there? How long would it take? (legal manner)

3. What job search engine (UK based) can you recommend that are legal and government recognized?
    (e.g. jobsite.co.uk?)

3. I have an uncle, who is working in Central London for 2 to 2 1/2 years now (forgot his occupation). How can he help me getting there? (Requirements/steps)

*Actually I'm not really relying on my uncle as he is not a close friend/relative of ours.

Thank you very much for your time. It's just my ultimate dream to live and work in London and I'm really hoping that you could help me. If I posted my thread in the wrong section, kindly notify me

Mabuhay!

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Welcome here..

Sorry to say but you have zero chance of getting a working visa to go here in the UK. Unless you are a highly skilled migrant required by UK (and they can't find anyone here and from other EU countries), then it's possible. Job postings online are mostly scam so never apply via that route.

Go to this site for more information. http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...ation/working/
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    Welcome here..

Sorry to say but you have zero chance of getting a working visa to go here in the UK. Unless you are a highly skilled migrant required by UK (and they can't find anyone here and from other EU countries), then it's possible. Job postings online are mostly scam so never apply via that route.

Go to this site for more information. http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...ation/working/
    thank you very much for your quick response and thank you for welcoming me here.

So even though my uncle make a petition for me to go there, is it still impossible? or let's say that his employer is willing to hire me even I'm not yet experienced, is that possible?

Thank you again

Thank you for welcoming me.

Is there a possibility for me to work in UK if my uncle make a petition?

If my uncle's employer is willing to hire me despite my lack of experience, is that possible?

Where could I find UK Jobs that is legitimate and legal (not scam)? - for future references.

Thank you once again.

sorry for the double post. my internet is quite down and I'm not sure if my messages are being posted, so I need to write again.

Quote Originally Posted by nico View Post
    Thank you for welcoming me.

Is there a possibility for me to work in UK if my uncle make a petition?

If my uncle's employer is willing to hire me despite my lack of experience, is that possible?

Where could I find UK Jobs that is legitimate and legal (not scam)? - for future references.

Thank you once again.
    You're uncle's employer should register via UKBA to be a sponsor for migrant workers. He must obtain a sponsor license first. Check out this site for info on that part http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/bu...onsors/points/. But like I said, he has to look for possible employees here in the UK and other European countries first and prove that no one good enough can be hired from here (which would be impossible honestly). Online job postings looking for migrant workers for UK are mostly scams as I say. You have to go to POEA and inquire about job posting for UK if you really want to. That's the only legal matter I can offer you.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    You're uncle's employer should register via UKBA to be a sponsor for migrant workers. He must obtain a sponsor license first. Check out this site for info on that part http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/bu...onsors/points/. But like I said, he has to look for possible employees here in the UK and other European countries first and prove that no one good enough can be hired from here (which would be impossible honestly). Online job postings looking for migrant workers for UK are mostly scams as I say. You have to go to POEA and inquire about job posting for UK if you really want to. That's the only legal matter I can offer you.
    thank you for your reply again

Also, I've been thinking to study more (about IT) in UK and probably work there after. Is that a good option?

Thanks

Here's the UKBA website Studying in the UK

Take a look at this video first:-

Respected Member
    I have worked in IT all my career, for large multi-national names. In my opinion best thing you can do is to get a job with a big multi-national company in the Philippines, ideally an IT-based company such as HP. Work hard for a few years and see which departments are dealing with international support/development of code etc. Then see if you can get an internal transfer. Ideally develop some unique skills which will help you sell yourself. Remember, the world is full of IT majors...

In order for a company to hire you in Europe the US they will need to get you a Visa. In the US this is hard and they have to prove an American can't do the job you're applying for - far too much hassle as there are probably thousands like you already in the US. I'm not sure about the UK Visa process but for sure I know companies won't bother and will hire locally.

Quote Originally Posted by Trefor View Post
    I have worked in IT all my career, for large multi-national names. In my opinion best thing you can do is to get a job with a big multi-national company in the Philippines, ideally an IT-based company such as HP. Work hard for a few years and see which departments are dealing with international support/development of code etc. Then see if you can get an internal transfer. Ideally develop some unique skills which will help you sell yourself. Remember, the world is full of IT majors...

In order for a company to hire you in Europe the US they will need to get you a Visa. In the US this is hard and they have to prove an American can't do the job you're applying for - far too much hassle as there are probably thousands like you already in the US. I'm not sure about the UK Visa process but for sure I know companies won't bother and will hire locally.
    This is what I've done when I was in the Philippines..I've been an employee of two multinational companies in Makati (Accenture and RCG Global Services)..I've had lots of trainings and almost 4 years of experience in Accenture and was able to get a job in Singapore after I resigned..then went back to the Philippines as I was hired by RCG when I was just having a vacation in Manila..worked there for almost 4 years too before going here in the UK to marry hubby. I was lucky enough to be sponsored of working visa for US, though I wasn't able to go to US.

I have a friend who got a 10 year multiple entry tourist visa to US. She and her hubby tried looking for a job there and even though they are fully qualified, they can't get a job as companies there were refusing to sponsor them of a working visa as it'll cost the company a lot (they've been told of that during interviews).

IT industry in the Philippines is BIG. Lots of opportunities there. A friend was sponsored by Accenture to work for months in London as the client sponsored him. Another friend was sponsored to go to US. I know lots of previous officemates and friends who was sponsored to go to UK and US and the clients absorb them as time goes. You're lucky you belong to that industry. My younger brother now wants to shift career, from being a nurse to becoming an IT person. He can see now which one has a better prospect of earning more, even if he just stay in the Philippines.
    -=rayna.keith=-

In 3 months time, I'll be graduating as an IT major and I'm planning to migrate to work in London UK probably after getting a 1-2 year working experience here.
    check with http://www.ecctis.co.uk/naric/default.aspx
    you might find your degree is not recognized at degree level in the UK.

even if you do get a student visa your limited to work 20hrs a week and the post study work route is now closed.
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...er1/poststudy/

so getting in a job in the UK could be very difficult.
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

thank you for all your replies

this forum is really informative indeed and I was able to learn new things about the UK. somehow my dreams has been shattered and maybe I'll just work here for around 5 years to gain experience.

thank you very much

Banned

this forum is really informative indeed and I was able to learn new things about the UK. somehow my dreams has been shattered and maybe I'll just work here for around 5 years to gain experience.

thank you very much

Hi Nico !

Unfortunately due to UK membership of a so called economic union of European countries called the EU employment in Britain of non EU nationals is severely restricted. If you happened to be an illiterate peasant from a feral Balkan nation you would be free to live and work within the UK without any restrictions. You and your family would be housed, educated and their healthcare taken care of thanks to the British taxpayer. It wouldn't matter if you were a convicted criminal the red carpet would still be rolled out.

It is beyond belief that decent people like you who could benefit Britain are kept out whilst the scum of the earth are allowed in without hindrance and paid to be here.

Good luck to you

thank you very much
    you cant buy experience and that will probably get you further than your degree
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Hello again

I would like to ask another question, but it is not related to this thread and maybe you could help me again. My uncle who lives and work in UK migrated actually from Spain last 2009. Now, my auntie (his wife) would like to know anything about him (if he is living with someone, beneficiary, how we was able to get there, and etc) because she felt that there is something fishy about my uncle. So what government agency would we go to know about these information?

Thanks

how long was he living in Spain and what kind of visa did he have?

He was at Spain between 2002 - mid 2009. I don't know what kind of visa he has, but what from I've learned is that, he is a now a Spanish Citizen.

He was at Spain between 2002 - mid 2009. I don't know what kind of visa he has, but what from I've learned is that, he is a now a Spanish Citizen.
    if he is a Spanish citizen, then he can live in any EU country as long as he is exercising his treaty rights eg working, studying.

Yep, so what government agency here in the Philippines should we approach in order to know details about him? We think that something is fishy about him.

Thanks

Actually I'm not really relying on my uncle as he is not a close friend/relative of ours.
    Ask your aunt to ask him,simplest and easiest answer,she is married to him after all Theres no governmental agency whatsoever in pinas that will send anyone to snoop through paperwork tracking down the ins-and-outs of an average member of the EU community's life,he is a spanish citizen so nothing to do with pinas

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    Hi Nico !

Unfortunately due to UK membership of a so called economic union of European countries called the EU employment in Britain of non EU nationals is severely restricted. If you happened to be an illiterate peasant from a feral Balkan nation you would be free to live and work within the UK without any restrictions. You and your family would be housed, educated and their healthcare taken care of thanks to the British taxpayer. It wouldn't matter if you were a convicted criminal the red carpet would still be rolled out.

It is beyond belief that decent people like you who could benefit Britain are kept out whilst the scum of the earth are allowed in without hindrance and paid to be here.

Good luck to you
    Sad but very true
    M&M

, Nico ... I cannot add anything to what the others have mentioned previously. here, however.

Respected Member

Sheriel from Leyte

Welcome Nico,please ask your Auntie to Phone him,after all she is his wife,good luck,you say he is prepared to sponser you,talk to him by Phone,

Thread Information