Thread: Northern Ireland union flag

Northern Ireland union flag

So the crap continues with bloody flags
    Let's here what members think about this one?

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Why can't they just put both the UK flag and whatever flag they have there? Simples!
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

With all the past troubles there I tend to agree with that,have both flags and the same in the republic too-side by side in unity

Respected Member
    why would the irish people want to have a union flag flying in ireland ?? !!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nnomad View Post
    why would the irish people want to have a union flag flying in ireland ?? !!!!!!!!!
    They wouldn't of course but just some sign of unity before all the crap starts all over again-small price to pay

Respected Member
    maybe you are confusing northern irleand with the republic,, i think if anyone was to fly the british union flag in the republic that would cause a LOT of trouble !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nnomad View Post
    maybe you are confusing northern irleand with the republic,, i think if anyone was to fly the british union flag in the republic that would cause a LOT of trouble !!!!!!!
    No I'm not confusing it at all,I know my geography
    I'm just trying to point out the .... that has gone on in that place dies down and is this not the start of some more?
    Of course in reality it can't be done too much history and yes they are two separate countries it would just be nice to see them all forget the past and move on.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Errr....Northern Ireland is part of UK right? and that's why there are riots in Belfast, because of that flag thing..
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Respected Member
    yes the republic have forgotten ( well put it aside anyway , some of the things that were done will never be forgotten ) and moved on, problem is certain elements in northern ireland will not accept that they must also move on,,,, " for the times they are a changing "

Been there a few times nice country shame about the people. It's very tribal and they're very big on their flags. It's quite easy to work out whose neighbourhood your in by simply looking for the flags although I had a close call in a Pub one day.
    I believe it will take a generation or maybe even two before you have lasting peace over there because the oldies are still wrapped up in their tribes and marching and waving flags.

Trusted Member
    I find the whole situation pathetic...and why the stupid council or whatever it is there decided upon this provocative step, lord only knows. Just as things SEEMED to be going so well .

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    I find the whole situation pathetic...and why the stupid council or whtever it is there decided upon this provocative step, lord only knows. Just as things SEEMED to be going so well .
    Totally agree. Someone who started this off within the council knew it was going to cause trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    Errr....Northern Ireland is part of UK right? and that's why there are riots in Belfast, because of that flag thing..
    Very very long complicated story. As briefly as possible, Ireland became part of Britain centuries ago due to invasion - it was very common all over Europe as countries were forming.
    For various reasons, the Irish never fully embraced being part of Britain - hardly surprising as they weren't treated as equal partners, and law applied in Ireland was draconian. Many there think more could have been done when there was a famine in 1845, and executing some rebels was the straw which broke the camels back.

The north of Ireland contained a higher concentration of the descendants (Mostly Scottish) of people who came to settle in Ireland, and these protested so much that this area remained part of the UK. Ever since some there want to be part of the Republic, others want to stay. A difference of opinion in which bombs and guns have had a say.

Despite what some think, it's not about religion either, it is true most in Ireland tend to be catholic, most of the ones who want to remain in the UK protestant - this comes down to politics at the time the original settlers arrived, religion was very tied to politics in the UK at one time. Some probably see religion as a national identity thing, just as anything putting them as "different" to neighbours can so often be used, supporting a football club or music amongst teens, I remember fights in my town between punks and mods, ridiculous.

It does mean though that region is a tinderbox, and something as crazy as flags can inflame tensions, as both sides see flags as not only "this is us", but also "up yours" to the other side.

The rest of the UK, well most seem to want rid and see the whole place as an embarrassment. Hard though because a democracy cannot just abandon a place when most people there want it to remain as it is. The Republic dreads the day the north wants to join them

The UK isn't particularly united really.

Thread Information