Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More 13a info req

Respected Member

More 13a info req

RE 13a

I have read elsewhere that from the 1st of December 2012, an alien who has resided in the Philippines for less than 6 months "shall attach to his application, police clearance from his country of origin". Would I be right in assuming that they are asking for a CRB check?

Bill

Yeah,less than 6 months UK Police clearance( I think that a CRB is all the Old bill in the UK can issue but ask them as its so long now that I cant remember, All I seem to remember is that it took 4 months to get the damned thing!)..
    More than 6 months you will need an NBI clearance.
    Better now to apply in the UK IMO..

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    A person is unable to obtain a CRB check on themseves in the UK. The only possible way is either an expense via an agency, usually around £40 - £60 or by a Data Subject Access Request (DSAR or SAR) to the Police HQ in the area you live (costs £10)

Be aware with a SAR that this will contain every thing that the police hold on you including non criminal visits to your home and any arrests whether or not you have been charged, motoring tickets, parking tickets and cautions with the exception of the details of reasons for the penalties.

Example if you have been convicted to theft and sent to prison for 3 months your SAR will show as 1 x 3 months jail. You will then need to explain why

I presume you are applying from the UK. No police check if you do it from phills.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnijon View Post
    I presume you are applying from the UK. No police check if you do it from phills.
    Unfortunately this is not true.. They have been especially strict just lately..
    Less than 6 months in R.P= UK Police clearance..
    More than 6 months, UK Police clearance + NBI clearance.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltshireman View Post
    A person is unable to obtain a CRB check on themseves in the UK. The only possible way is either an expense via an agency, usually around £40 - £60 or by a Data Subject Access Request (DSAR or SAR) to the Police HQ in the area you live (costs £10)

Be aware with a SAR that this will contain every thing that the police hold on you including non criminal visits to your home and any arrests wether or not you have been charged, motoring tickets, parking tickets and cautions with the exception of the details of reasons for the penalties.

Example if you have been convicted to theft and sent to prison for 3 months your SAR will show as 1 x 3 months jail. You will then need to explain why
    Actually you CAN get a DBS (formerly CRB ) check for yourself now.

On the 1st of December 2012, the Criminal Records Bureau in the UK became the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and made it possible to obtain a Basic Disclosure for yourself at a cost of £25 pounds. It is available from https://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/apply-online/ This service covers the whole of the UK and NOT just Scotland. Apparently there is a spoof website with a very similar address which will charge you £41 and simply re direct you to the proper site.

I received mine last Thursday and they are very quick. I then forwarded it to the Philippine Embassy, London, for Legalisation/Authentication at a cost of £18.

The more cynical amongst us may point to the Philippine Government simply seizing an opportunity to exploit us poor expats even further but, the British Government is no better, charging an eye watering £25 for a single sheet of headed A4 which must have take all of 2 minutes to produce.

Just done mine in phills no police check. seems strange as only two years ago i think they abolished police and health checks for applications in phills.
    Last edited by jonnijon; 17th February 2013 at 11:55. Reason: need to add

Quote Originally Posted by bigtilly View Post
    Actually you CAN get a DBS (formerly CRB ) check for yourself now.

On the 1st of December 2012, the Criminal Records Bureau in the UK became the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and made it possible to obtain a Basic Disclosure for yourself at a cost of £25 pounds. It is available from https://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/apply-online/ This service covers the whole of the UK and NOT just Scotland. Apparently there is a spoof website with a very similar address which will charge you £41 and simply re direct you to the proper site.

I received mine last Thursday and they are very quick. I then forwarded it to the Philippine Embassy, London, for Legalisation/Authentication at a cost of £18.

The more cynical amongst us may point to the Philippine Government simply seizing an opportunity to exploit us poor expats even further but, the British Government is no better, charging an eye watering £25 for a single sheet of headed A4 which must have take all of 2 minutes to produce.
    Good post, good info and good link. Thank you

Can you tell me the process i have to do when forwarded the police check to the embassy,i have to do the same and would just like to understand what exact actions i need to take.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul77 View Post
    Can you tell me the process i have to do when forwarded the police check to the embassy,i have to do the same and would just like to understand what exact actions i need to take.
    Hi Paul,

Happy to help. This link will take you to where you want to be http://philembassy-uk.org/consular-matters/legalization

I had to read it a few times before it sank in (it's an age thing!) but in simple terms it means this: get an £18 postal order made payable to the Philippine Embassy (the Post Office counter staff can print this onto the postal order for you or just write it on) it will cost you about £20.50. Take 2 envelopes with you. 1 of them addressed to: The Authentication Section, Philippine Embassy, 6-8 Suffolk Street, London. SW1Y 4HG. Make the other one registered and address it to yourself. Not sure but I think it costs about £2 (Well it is 3 days ago) to make your self addressed envelope registered.

Bang Stamps on BOTH envelopes, whack everything into the one addressed to the Embassy and post it.

It is worth noting that you CAN'T pay for the postal order with your bank card so it is cash only. Yes I know, here we are in 2013, it's 44 years since we put men on the moon and we still can't pay for a postal order with our bank cards!! Unbelievable.

Hope this helps, Good luck mate. Bill

Thanks Bill,that is really helpful for me.I was fortunate to see this thread because i didn't even know i had to do a CRB check but i've applyed for check and it's being processed now.

The requirement "He is not afflicted with any dangerous, contagious or loathsome disease."

Do i need to do anything for that? it wasn't mentioned as requirement when my fiancée rang immigration but is mentioned on immigration bureau website.

Hi Bill,on your link what does this bit mean
    All public documents sent by post to the Philippine Embassy that will be used in the Philippines must be notarized by a notary public or a commissioner of oath. The signature of the notary public/commissioner of oath must be authenticated by the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) or the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs (as the case applies).

these maybe things i need to learn for later,
    hope no one minds me butting in to ask,

NBI clearance. is that philippine version of the uk CRB ?

Paul,

To certify or attest to (the validity of a signature on a document,
    i believe that the documents to be sent need to be certified by a sloicitor, that they are genuine , or genuine copies of the original document,
    i think solicitor signs and stamps them , if im not right someone will correct me, or make it clearer

This is all new to me...
    I just received the document from the coppers and put it together with my other requirements including medical etc... They (the R.P embassy in London) accepted the Police clearance (or whatever it was) without asking me to have it authenticated.
    NBI clearance. is that Philippine version of the uk CRB ?
    You only need this if you are applying in the R.P.. Its a Philippine police clearance.
    Much better to apply in the UK as you will receive a permanent visa..
    Apply here and they will issue with a temporary visa good for one year...After that year you will need to apply to make it permanent. More expense and time wasting hassle!!

To be honest the R.P embassy website is a piece of crap.. I downloaded the forms from it to be later advised that they were not the correct forms.. They had to send me them (really bad photo copies) to fill out..
    Just had a quick look on the site and still cant find them.
    The other problem I had was contacting them by telephone..9 times out of ten it was an recorded voice telling me there was no one available etc.
    For me the whole process was a pain in the ass..(especially the medical requirements)
    100 Quid for Doctor..Another 100 notes for Xray About 4 days off work with travel expenses to and from London etc.
    Hope I never have to go through that BS ever again.

If thats the cost of it all Fred its cheaper to do it in the Philippines.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnijon View Post
    If thats the cost of it all Fred its cheaper to do it in the Philippines.
    Yes it probably is... I would still highly recommend that if they do it here they take this CRB authenticated document with them as some new applicants here in the R.P have been asked to provide it..

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul77 View Post
    Hi Bill,on your link what does this bit mean
    All public documents sent by post to the Philippine Embassy that will be used in the Philippines must be notarized by a notary public or a commissioner of oath. The signature of the notary public/commissioner of oath must be authenticated by the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) or the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs (as the case applies).
    Hi Paul,

This is my interpretation: It means that the Notary Public who, I suspect is part of the staff at the embassy, has been approved by the FCO and/or the IDFA to carry out such work. Of course, I may be wrong.

It is worth noting that a signature from a common or garden Solicitor is NOT the same and would not be acceptable. Some Solicitors are also Notary Publics but most are not. My recent Visa application had to be verified by either a Solicitor or Notary Public. My Solicitor charged me £5 to sign 2 documents but, had I gone to my local Notary Public, it would have been closer to £150. Those guys are not shy at charging top whack.
    Last edited by bigtilly; 19th February 2013 at 13:22. Reason: missing comment

Respected Member
    How I wish I had taken more notice at school!!

Hi Paul,

This is my interpretation: It means that the Notary Public who, I suspect is part of the staff at the embassy, has been approved by the FCO and/or the IDFA to carry out such work. Of course, I may be wrong.
    Hi Bill

I hope it means that, i could do without the time and cost of another notary public stamp from a solicitor here.

Respected Member
    On the face of it, it makes the £18 the Embassy charge seem an absolute bargain as opposed to £150 elsewhere.

Respected Member
    I am moving to Dipolog, Mindanao permanently at Easter and have been in 2 minds about the 13a visa for months.

The idea of renewing every 59 days is an expensive option and doesn't appeal at all so, I had planned on going down the Balikbayan route which of course has the added bonus of a short break every year. Some guys I know tell me the 13a is the way to go long term and I'm sure they are right, However, the more I search the ins and outs of applying for a 13a, the more confused I get. People saying you need this, others saying you need that. So, I thought I would obtain the police clearance which will give me 6 months grace before it expires to make up my mind.

I have the added problem of my local BOI in Dipolog only being manned on a part time basis (Tuesday and Friday) nowadays and I don't know if they will be able to process a 13a. Failing that, we would have to go to Cebu.

My local BOI is my first stop to get from the "horses mouth"" exactly what I need and take it from there.

Bill

Bill..As I said..The process was a pain in the ass..
    Thing is though,ever since I got the visa, it was/is a huge relief that all I need to do now is report once a year and pay 310.00 Pesos.
    No pain no gain..
    That said... Whatever works for you.
    Cheers,
    Fred.

does anyone know if having the 13a . affects your right to uk state pension ?

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post

NBI clearance. is that philippine version of the uk CRB ?
    Well yeah i think it is imagine ...

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    The NBI is the same as our CRB, also the 13A won't affect your state pension and you will also recieve your annual pension increases Imagine!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    The NBI is the same as our CRB, also the 13A won't affect your state pension and you will also recieve your annual pension increases Imagine!
    thanks michael, 6 years to go yet for pension, but the 13a will be needed sooner, so didnt want to risk my pension

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    You're welcome Stewart!

I am moving to Dipolog, Mindanao permanently at Easter and have been in 2 minds about the 13a visa for months.

The idea of renewing every 59 days is an expensive option and doesn't appeal at all so, I had planned on going down the Balikbayan route which of course has the added bonus of a short break every year. Some guys I know tell me the 13a is the way to go long term and I'm sure they are right, However, the more I search the ins and outs of applying for a 13a, the more confused I get. People saying you need this, others saying you need that. So, I thought I would obtain the police clearance which will give me 6 months grace before it expires to make up my mind.

I have the added problem of my local BOI in Dipolog only being manned on a part time basis (Tuesday and Friday) nowadays and I don't know if they will be able to process a 13a. Failing that, we would have to go to Cebu.

My local BOI is my first stop to get from the "horses mouth"" exactly what I need and take it from there.

Bill

Bill,
    The reason you are getting confused about what people are telling you is some things can be written in law in the Philippines but not followed. Gets easier with time to understand the in's and out's.
    The balikbayan route is not intended to be for people staying here on a permanent basis. The original purpose was for former citizens to return home without having to have a visa.
    It is classed as temporary visitors visa and you would be required to have a return ticket prior to admission into the Philippines. It doesn't have to be dated as all they want to see is the person intends to leave the country. In theory all you need is a short trip to another asian country every year but they 'may' refuse your request one day.

The local BOI in Dipolog wont be able to process a 13a application. If you check the link below it will tell you where it can be done.
    http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?...=115&Itemid=61

If you apply in the Philippines it will involve 2 stages. First a years probationary period then you have to convert it to permanent. From what i have heard recently each stage would involve about 3 trips to immigration. Was at least 6 when i did mine in the 90's

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?...=115&Itemid=61

Good luck with which ever route you decide to take..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information